I’ve organized these into two separate groups, the first is a list of more traditional/classic recipes and the next is a bunch that kick things up a notch with ingredient twists such as Cherries, Lemon, Mango, Peanut Butter, Ginger, Coconut, Coffee and more.
I also included a few that are tweaked to be healthier or lower fat. Quite the selection here, enjoy!
*Ingredients listed are a summary only and not a complete list.
- Flavorful : Has a hint of spice, honey for sweetness and moist texture. Brown sugar (light or dark), vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, salt, mashed ripe bananas, apricot jam or orange marmalade (optional), eggs and chopped walnuts (optional). From King Arthur Flour.
- Classic : This one uses melted butter in place of oil, based on a recipe from the cookbook Heirloom Baking With The Brass Sisters. Found at There’s Always Thyme To Cook.
- Basic How-To : Milk, chopped nuts (optional), self rising flour, a stick of margarine, eggs and vanilla. From Southern Plate.
- Buttermilk : Texture is soft and moist without being oily, flavor is light and delicate. From Biscuit Pusher.
- Sour Cream : Pretty basic but has a nice sour cream twist. From Your Home Based Mom.
- The Best : Uses both all-purpose and whole wheat flour, packed brown sugar, freshly squeezed lemon juice and more. From Dairy Goodness.
- Equally Good For Muffins : Promises to be the best, you can add chocolate chips and walnuts if you like (optional). From Foodess.
With Flavor Twists:
- Coffee Crunch : Drizzled with a powdered sugar and milk glaze, ingredients include fat free creamy yogurt, quick-cooking oats, chopped walnuts and instant coffee granule or crystals. From Betty Crocker.
- Strawberries : This has a nice, fruity twist with 1 cup of diced strawberries added (can use mixed berries instead). From Averie Cooks.
- Hawaiian Pineapple : A tropical version that included macadamia nuts (pecans or walnuts can also be used) and crushed pineapple (canned). From Mr. Food.
- Chocolate : Rich and moist, this has cocoa powder and sour cream added. From Sweet Savory Life.
- Carrot : Yields 2 loaves, has finely grated carrots, lime juice, whole wheat pastry flour and maple syrup. From Chasing Delicious.
- Sourdough : Here’s an interesting one made with sourdough starter , shortening, vanilla or grated orange rind. From The Fresh Loaf.
- Cinnamon Crumble Topping : Reminiscent of coffee cake, this has a delicious topping made with cinnamon and brown sugar. From Bon Appetit.
- Coconut : Features a tangy lime glaze that helps cut the sweetness of the bread. Made with rum but you can substitute with apple juice if you prefer. From Meet Me In The Kitchen.
- Mango : Moist and spicy, this is a lowfat alternative with a great mango twist. From My Plate, My World.
- Lemon : You can omit the rind and add in a good handful of mini chips to the batter before pouring in the pan. From FamilyFood.
- Avocado : Nutrient-filled with wholesome whole wheat, high-fiber avocados, honey, sea salt and more. From Reader’s Digest.
- Blueberry : Can use fresh or frozen blueberries, you’ll need Original Bisquick mix and quick-cooking oats. From Betty Crocker.
- Dried Cherries & Pecans : Promises to be moist and not too dense, full of tart cherries and crunchy nuts. From My Gourmet Love Affair.
- Cherry Walnut : Whole wheat flour, unsweetened apple sauce, lemon juice, dried cherries. From Fat Free Vegan.
- Currant : Whole wheat flour, shredded coconuts, currants, chopped walnuts or pecans (can be substituted with any dried fruit). From Macheesmo.
- Mom’s : What makes this particular version extra-special are the bits of caramelized apple throughout. From A Whisk & A Spoon.
- Zucchini : Freezes well, this has shredded zucchini, banana extract and vanilla extract. From Taste of Home.
- Mocha : Cocoa powder, coffee or instant coffee (with water), combination of chopped nuts. From Cooking With Amy.
- With Crystallized Ginger : Semisweet chocolate chips (or a chopped up bar), crystallized ginger, well-stirred whole-milk plain yogurt. From Whitney In Chicago.
- Chocolate Coconut : Features chunks of banana on top of the cake. Includes cocoa powder, shredded coconut and dark chips. From A Cracking Good Egg.
- Marbled Loaf : Black and white, you’ll need freshly grated zest and juice from lemon, dark rum, bittersweet chocolate. From Veggie By Season.
- Peanut Butter : A few tablespoons of smooth pb are added to the batter. From Dinner’s On Me.
- Dark Chocolate & PB : Whole wheat pastry flour, skim milk (or almond milk), creamy natural pb, egg substitute. From Peanut Butter Boy.
- Butterscotch : Mascarpone cheese, butterscotch chips, buttermilk. From Vanilla Sugar Blog.
- Vegan : Applesauce, sucanat sugar, molasses, white whole wheat flour and more. The Baking Bird.
- Eggless : Yogurt/curds/dahi, vanilla essence (or extract), milk and more. From Cook With Love.
- Whole Grain : Kamut, wheat (or spelt) flours, yogurt (or kefir or water with a splash of raw vinegar), honey or maple syrup. From Paprika.