30+ Lip Smackin’ Barbecue Sauces
Posted By Tipnut On July 2, 2009 @ 1:07 pm In Recipes | 4 Comments
[Updated for 2012] Here’s a collection of homemade bbq sauces for ribs, chicken, pork, burgers–you name it.
You’ll find plenty of interesting ideas with ingredients like coffee, bourbon whiskey, cherry cola, apples, cranberries, etc., but there are plenty with more traditional ingredients too that are featured in more classic-style varieties.
Some are sweet, some smoky, fruity or hot & spicy–they all look so good! Whether you’re looking for lip-smackin’ grilling sauces or flavorful dips, you’re sure to find a few new favorites in this bunch!
Note: I made a separate group (at the bottom of the page) for canning recipes, just a half dozen so far but I’ll be adding to this list over time. Enjoy!
- Smoky : (Yields 1 cup) Ingredients include ketchup, finely chopped garlic cloves, dark brown sugar, dark amber maple syrup, Worcestershire, cider vinegar, smoke paprika, smoked sweet paprika and coarse black pepper. From Rachael Ray on Good Morning America.
- With Coffee : (for ribs) Made with Heinz ketchup, strong black coffee, white vinegar, brown sugar, garlic powder, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. From Big Blue Tailgate Crew at Delish.
- Guinness : (Yields about 1 1/4 cups) Made with Guinness Extra Stout, chili sauce, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire, Pickapeppa, honey and garlic salt. From Patio Daddio BBQ.
- Sweet & Tangy : (with a little heat), made with a chopped onion, garlic, vegetable oil, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, honey, Worcestershire, Dijon mustard, soy sauce, hoisin, chili powder, cumin and crushed red pepper flakes. From Baked Bree.
- Similar to Sweet Baby Ray’s : Ingredients include tomato sauce, molasses, white vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, chili powder, liquid smoke. From Taste and See God’s Goodness.
- Cranberry Chipotle : Ingredients include vegetable oil, chopped onion, minced garlic, ground ginger, ground cloves, salt, pepper, fresh cranberries or frozen cranberries, water, orange juice, packed brown sugar, raspberry vinegar (or red wine vinegar), fancy molasses, grated orange rind, adobo, chipotle peppers. From Canadian Living.
- Slow Simmering : Cooks for 2 hours or until thick. Made with ketchup, water, brown sugar, granulated sugar, fresh cracked black pepper, dry mustard, paprika, lemon juice, Worcestershire, apple cider vinegar and corn syrup. From The Cutting Edge of Ordinary.
- With Dr. Pepper : (Yields 2 cups) Made with minced onion, vegetable oil, Dr. Pepper (or other soda), canned tomato sauce, cider vinegar, honey, brown sugar, cayenne (optional) and a pinch of salt. From Tablespoon.
- With Cola : (Yield: 2 cups) Ingredients include garlic, Kosher salt, cola, ketchup, cider vinegar, Worcestershire, chili powder, freshly ground black pepper, hot sauce, ground allspice and freshly squeezed lime juice. From Food Network.
- Cherry Cola : (Yield: 4 cups) Made with vegetable oil, chopped onions, minced garlic, bottled chili sauce, cherry preserves (or jam), cherry cola, golden brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and hot pepper sauce. Can be refrigerated for up to two weeks. From Bon Appetit.
- Fruity : Ingredients include tomato sauce, tomato paste, chopped onion, minced garlic, cider vinegar, packed brown sugar, salt and pepper, chopped pitted dates, chopped raisins, Dijon mustard, fancy molasses, Worcestershire, grated orange rind and ground cloves. Can be refrigerated for up to 1 month. From Canadian Living.
- Chile Coffee : Ingredients include guajillo chiles, mulato chiles, onion wedges, garlic cloves (unpeeled), corn oil, tomato puree, strong black coffee, turbinado sugar, Kosher salt, dried oregano, ground cloves, cumin and cider vinegar. From Food Network.
- Kansas City Style : (Yields 2 1/2 cups) Made with butter, finely chopped yellow onion, minced garlic, ketchup, molasses, dark brown sugar, cider vinegar, yellow mustard, chili powder, freshly ground black pepper and cayenne pepper. From Meatwave.
- A Little Spicy : (Yields 2 1/4 cups) Made with olive oil, onion, garlic cloves, salt, red pepper powder, hot paprika, crushed tomatoes (canned), blackstrap molasses, white vinegar, brown sugar and molasses. From Tutupa’s Lab.
- Orange, Sweet & Tangy : (also includes a classic recipe) Made with vegetable oil, minced yellow onion, ketchup, jar of honey mustard, minced garlic, brown sugar, cider vinegar and Worcestershire. From Confabulation in the Kitchen.
- Zesty Peach : Made with finely chopped, pitted and peeled peaches, red bell pepper, chopped onion, garlic, honey, cider vinegar, Worcestershire, hot pepper flakes, dry mustard and salt. From Mountain Home Quilts.
- Father’s Day Version : Makes 1 1/4 quarts, ingredients include olive oil, Spanish onion, minced garlic, crushed tomatoes (canned), chipotle chiles packed in adobe sauce (or cayenne pepper), Worcestershire, cider vinegar, unsulfured molasses, coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper. Can be packed in jars and refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. From Martha Stewart.
- Alabama White : Made with mayonnaise, salt, black pepper, white vinegar, lemon juice and white sugar. From Southern Plate.
- Sweet & Sour : (Yields about 1 3/4 cups) Made with peanut oil, chopped garlic, finely grated fresh ginger (peeled), dry sherry, hoisin, ketchup, Vietnamese chili-garlic sauce, soy sauce and dark sesame oil. From Food Network.
- Peach Mustard : Made with unsalted butter, minced onion, minced garlic, cider vinegar, whole-grain mustard, Dijon mustard, peach jam or preserves, bourbon (just a bit) and Kosher salt. From Food Network.
- Sweet & Spicy : Made with vegetable oil, pureed onion, ketchup, tomato sauce, brown sugar, hoisin, garlic powder, Worcestershire, smoked paprika and hot red pepper flakes. From Chatelaine.
- Peach-Plum Bourbon : (Yield: 4 – 5 cups) Made with peaches & plums (halved & pitted), chopped onion, jalapenos, garlic, chopped ginger, brown sugar, cider vinegar, bourbon, honey, ketchup, molasses, Worcestershire, Dijon mustard and Kosher salt. From Nomnivorous.
- With Bourbon : Ingredients include tomato paste, bourbon, vinegar, light brown sugar, molasses, Kosher salt, ground mustard and garlic powder. From Betty Crocker.
- 4 All-American : Assorted ingredients used, learn how to make a No Cook Eastern North Carolina-Style version, a Traditional Memphis-Style, a Traditional Kansas City-Style and a South Carolina-Style version. From Paula Deen.
- Maple Whiskey : Ingredients include tomato sauce, tomato paste, onion, garlic cloves, cider vinegar, packed brown sugar, salt, pepper, whiskey (or apple juice), maple syrup, grainy mustard, Worcestershire and a pinch of cinnamon. From Canadian Living.
- Smoky Mustard : Made with vegetable oil, finely chopped onion, crushed garlic, lemon juice, soft brown sugar (or honey), tomato ketchup, Worcestershire, smoked paprika, Mexican-style hot chili sauce (or Tabasco), Dijon mustard, salt and freshly cracked black pepper. From Delish.
- Jamaican : Made with bacon, chopped onion, chopped green onion, jalapeno pepper, ketchup, chicken broth, molasses, cider vinegar, lemon juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire, prepared mustard, minced fresh thyme, salt, pepper, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg. From Taste of Home.
- Mango Chipotle : (Yields about 5 half-pints) Ingredients include canola oil, chopped onions, minced garlic, tomatoes (peeled & chopped), dry red wine, honey, Worcestershire, cider vinegar, dry mustard, whole peppercorns, chipotle pepper powder, Kosher salt, water, mango ginger jam, brown sugar, chipotle pepper hot sauce.
- Chipotle Apple : Ingredients include peeled, cored & coarsely chopped apples, diced onion, tomato paste, brown sugar, malt vinegar, white vinegar, Worcestershire, creamed horseradish, chipotle chili powder, salt, black pepper and water. From Family Feedbag.
- Home Canned : A plain, basic version that you can dress up as you like. Made with tomatoes, minced onion, garlic, diced green pepper, chipotle pepper (optional), brown sugar, paprika, dry ground mustard (or whole mustard seed), canning salt, cracked black peppercorns, cayenne, white or apple cider vinegar. Found at Dispatches From Whitcomb Street.
- Simple 5-Ingredient : (scroll down page) Ingredients include peeled & quartered brown onions, red chillies, tomato ketchup, brown sugar and smoked paprika. Makes approximately 12 cups. From The Stone Soup.
- Rhubarb : Made with trimmed and sliced rhubarb, diced red onion, chopped raisins, orange habanero pepper, brown sugar, honey, cider vinegar, cinnamon, allspice, ground ginger and sea salt. From Local Kitchen.
- With Coffee & Bourbon : Ingredients include double-strength drip-brewed coffee, bourbon whiskey, Worcestershire, cider vinegar, vegetable stock (or chicken or pork), ketchup, brown sugar, jalapeno, sliced onion, crushed garlic, olive oil and a handful of wood chips. From Manic Publishing.
Article printed from TipNut.com: http://tipnut.com
URL to article: http://tipnut.com/barbecue-sauce/
URLs in this post:
 Smoky: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=13768651
 With Coffee: http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/giants-tailgate-baby-back-ribs-homemade-bbq-sauce-recipe
 Guinness: http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2010/03/guinness-bbq-sauce.html
 Sweet & Tangy: http://bakedbree.com/barbecue-sauce
 Similar to Sweet Baby Ray’s: http://tasteandseegodsgoodness.blogspot.ca/2011/06/homemade-barbecue-sauce.html
 Cranberry Chipotle: http://www.canadianliving.com/food/cranberry_chipotle_barbecue_sauce.php
 Slow Simmering: http://thecuttingedgeofordinary.blogspot.ca/2011/06/homemade-bbq-sauce.html
 With Dr. Pepper: http://taste-for-adventure.tablespoon.com/2011/06/01/dr-pepper-bbq-sauce/
 With Cola: http://www.foodnetwork.com//recipes/cola-barbecue-sauce-recipe2/index.html
 Cherry Cola: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/cookingclub/2008/07/cherry_cola_barbeque_sauce
 Fruity: http://www.canadianliving.com/food/fruity_barbecue_sauce.php
 Chile Coffee: http://www.foodnetwork.com//recipes/food-network-kitchens/chile-coffee-bbq-sauce-recipe/index.html
 Kansas City Style: http://www.meatwave.com/blog/kansas-city-style-barbecue-sauce-recipe
 A Little Spicy: http://tutupaslab.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/homemade-bbq-sauce/
 Orange, Sweet & Tangy: http://shallwecook.blogspot.ca/2009/06/homemade-barbecue-sauce.html
 Zesty Peach: http://mountainhomequilts.blogspot.ca/2010/08/canning-101-tomato-sauce-and-peach-bbq.html
 Father’s Day Version: http://www.marthastewart.com/273717/fathers-day-barbecue-sauce
 Alabama White: http://www.southernplate.com/2008/10/alabama-white-barbecue-sauce.html
 Sweet & Sour: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/sweet-sour-bbq-sauce-recipe/index.html
 Peach Mustard: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/peach-mustard-bbq-sauce-recipe/index.html
 Sweet & Spicy: http://www.chatelaine.com/recipe/stovetop-cooking-method/classic-sweet-and-spicy-barbecue-sauce/
 Peach-Plum Bourbon: http://nomnivorous.com/2011/08/19/peach-plum-bourbon-barbecue-sauce/
 With Bourbon: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/homemade-barbecue-sauce/4f56c71b-eb41-42c4-8cad-d889350eb355
 4 All-American: http://www.pauladeen.com/article_view/all_american_bbq_sauces
 Maple Whiskey: http://www.canadianliving.com/food/maple_whisky_barbecue_sauce.php
 Smoky Mustard: http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/smoky-mustard-barbecue-sauce-recipe
 Jamaican: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Jamaican-Barbecue-Sauce
 Mango Chipotle: http://flamingomusings.com/2010/08/can-jam-8-tomatoes-mango-chipotle-bbq-sauce.html
 Chipotle Apple: http://www.familyfeedbag.com/2011/08/canning-chipotle-apple-bbq-sauce.html
 Home Canned: http://whitcombstreet.tumblr.com/post/11023367910/homemade-barbecue-sauce-for-canning
 Simple 5-Ingredient: http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2010/11/9-christmas-gifts-to-make-at-home-5-ingredients-a-new-virtual-cooking-class/
 Rhubarb: http://localkitchenblog.com/2009/05/21/rhubarb-barbecue-sauce/
 With Coffee & Bourbon: http://andrewthomason.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/dr-strange-sauce/
Click here to print.