15+ Tasty Basmati Rice Recipes To Try
Posted By Tipnut On March 8, 2011 @ 1:13 am In Recipes | No Comments
Basmati is a long-grain rice (with both white and brown varieties) that regularly makes an appearance in Middle Eastern and Asian cuisine. It has a bit of a fragrant, nutty flavor and cooks up nicely (not clumpy like other varieties can). For best results, rinse well in a few changes of cold water before cooking (until water runs clear).
Today’s Recipe Hit List is a tasty collection of over a dozen recipes that I’ve handpicked from around the ‘net. There’s quite a mix of flavors and ingredients including curry, pecans, lemon, apricots and more. Can’t wait to try them all! (Don’t miss the bonus tip at the bottom for how to perfectly cook it). Enjoy!
- Golden with Apricots : Made with saffron threads, warm water, unsalted butter, finely chopped onion, minced garlic, cinnamon, chicken stock, salt, thinly sliced scallions, salted roasted almonds (coarsely chopped), dried apricots (cut into 1/2″ pieces), a Granny Smith apple (cored and cut into 1″ pieces) and freshly ground pepper. From Food And Wine.
- With Sweet Onions and Summer Herbs : Ingredients include butter, chopped sweet onions, salt, fresh Italian parsley, fresh dill, fresh tarragon. From Epicurious.
- Spicy Tomato : Flavoured with a base gravy of aromatic spices, delightful herbs and tangy tomatoes. From Monsoon Spice.
- With Chicken & Carrots : Made with ghee or butter, thinly sliced onion, chicken, tomato paste, salt, crushed garlic, garaham masala, saffron and garnished with shredded carrots, golden raisins, slivered almonds and a pinch of saffron. From Global Table Adventure.
- Fragrant Pilaf with Fresh Tuvar : Ingredients include fresh tuvar, roasted cashews, salt and peanut oil. From Mahanandi.
- Coconut Saffron : Made with Better than Bouillon, a large pinch of saffron and coconut oil. From Papawow.
- Pilaf with Lime & Cashews : Serves 6 (1/2 cup each), ingredients include canola oil, black or yellow mustard seeds, coarsely chopped cashews, lime juice, finely chopped fresh cilantro (or fresh kari leaves), fresh Thai cayenne or serrano chiles (or jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced), turmeric and salt. From Eating Well.
- Portabella Curry : A Thai inspired dish made with canola oil, large caps of portabella mushrooms, salt, minced garlic, minced ginger, red curry powder (or red curry paste), unsweetened coconut milk, fish sauce, lime leaves, granny smith apple and for garnish: coarsely chopped toasted peanuts, fresh basil, fresh cilantro, grape tomatoes. From Taste Of Home.
- Vegetable with Honey : Made with chopped onion, grated carrot, red bell pepper, sliced mushrooms. From Kosher In The Kitch.
- Spiced Vanilla : Ingredients include a vanilla pod, cloves, cardamom pods, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds and water. From Citron & Vanille.
- Pilaw with Mustard and Coriander Seeds : Made with finely chopped onion, butter or ghee, mustard seeds, coriander seeds and salt. Serves 2. From What’s For Lunch Honey.
- Lemon : Made with vegetable oil, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, split chana dal (or Bengal gram lentils), split black gram, dried red chilies, chopped fresh ginger, ground turmeric, roasted peanuts, curry leaves, salt and lemon juice. From BBC Food.
- Lemon : Made with lemon zest, whole cardamom pods (lightly cracked), coarse salt and a cinnamon stick. From Martha Stewart.
- With Apricots : Made with chopped dried apricots, strips of lemon zest, unsalted butter, garam masala, diced onion, Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, bay leaf, fresh mint leaves and toasted unsalted pistachios or cashews. Found at Two Sisters And Friends.
- Saffron Steamed (Chelow) : Made with long-grain basmati, water, salt, plain yogurt, butter or vegetable oil or ghee, ground saffron, cumin or nigella seeds (optional). From Chow.
- Herbed : Ingredients include Kosher salt, unsalted butter, minced fresh curly parsley leaves, minced fresh dill leaves, fresh scallions (white and green parts) and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper. From Ina Garten at Food Network.
Bonus: How To Cook It Perfectly  (From BBC Food).
Article printed from TipNut.com: http://tipnut.com
URL to article: http://tipnut.com/basmati-rice/
URLs in this post:
 Golden with Apricots: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/golden-basmati-rice-with-apricots
 With Sweet Onions and Summer Herbs: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/BASMATI-RICE-WITH-SWEET-ONIONS-AND-SUMMER-HERBS-242509
 Spicy Tomato: http://www.monsoonspice.com/2009/06/spicy-tomato-rice-lazy-peoples-version.html
 With Chicken & Carrots: http://globaltableadventure.com/2010/02/07/recipe-kabeli-palau-basmati-rice-with-chicken-carrots/
 Fragrant Pilaf with Fresh Tuvar: http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/archives/2007/12/04/fragrant-basmati-pilaf-with-fresh-tuvar/
 Coconut Saffron: http://www.papawow.com/blog/coconut-saffron-basmati-rice.html
 Pilaf with Lime & Cashews: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/rice_pilaf_with_lime_cashews.html
 Portabella Curry: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Community/Portabella-Curry-with-Basmati-Rice
 Vegetable with Honey: http://www.kosherinthekitch.com/vegetable-basmati-rice-with-honey/
 Spiced Vanilla: http://www.citronetvanille.com/blog/2009/09/a-taste-from-far-away-shrimps-in-a-coconut-colombo-sauce-on-spiced-vanilla-basmati-rice/
 Pilaw with Mustard and Coriander Seeds: http://www.whatsforlunchhoney.net/2006/09/pilaw-with-mustard-and-coriander-seeds.html
 Lemon: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lemonrice_86737
 Lemon: http://www.marthastewart.com/342504/lemon-basmati-rice
 With Apricots: http://twosistersandfriends.blogspot.com/2009/09/basmati-rice-pilaf-with-apricots.html
 Saffron Steamed (Chelow): http://www.chow.com/recipes/11066-saffron-steamed-plain-basmati-rice-chelow
 Herbed: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/herbed-basmati-rice-recipe/index.html
 How To Cook It Perfectly: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/perfectbasmatirice_67791
Click here to print.