55+ Menu Ideas For Breakfast & Brunch
In my family a large breakfast/brunch is a treat–during the holidays we have lots of bacon, sausage, pancakes (or french toast), slices of fresh fruit, an assortment of cheese and some baking too. On Boxing Day we usually have more of a relaxed morning with an assortment of muffins, coffeecakes, croissants and other baking to choose from along with pots of piping hot coffee and fresh juice.
Whichever type of spread you prefer, here’s a massive list of recipes and ideas suitable for holiday entertaining or special weekend feasts. I’ve handpicked each from around the net and organized them into their own groups for easier browsing: Breakfast Casseroles, Egg Dishes (many are really impressive), Baked Oatmeal and Assorted Dishes. Some are quick and easy while others can even be prepared the night before! Enjoy :).
- Baked Eggs In Bread Bowls: (as seen in photo) Yields 8. Ingredients include crusty dinner rolls, chopped mixed herbs (such as parsley, chives, tarragon), heavy cream, salt and pepper, grated Parmesan. From My Recipes.
- Country Scramble: Made with cubed new red potatoes, bacon (or breakfast sausage), milk, salt, pepper and sliced green onions. From The Way The Cookie Crumbles.
- Fiesta Scrambled: A spicy dish made with chopped onion, sweet red pepper, jalapeno pepper, bacon strips, shredded cheddar, salt, pepper and salsa. From Taste of Home.
- Egg & Ham Topped Croissant: Easy treat, you’ll need butter, croissants, cheese, sliced deli ham, poached eggs and chopped fresh chives. From Land O’Lakes.
- Egg Muffins: Makes 12. Ingredients: Spike Seasoning, grated low fat cheese, green onions and chopped veggies and diced bacon, lean ham or crumbled cooked turkey sausage (optional). From Kalyn’s Kitchen.
- Baked w/ Cheese, Tomatoes & Bacon: Serves 2, made with butter, grape or cherry tomatoes, strips of bacon, cheese and smoked paprika. From Cookography.
- Tex-Mex Mini-Frittatas: A low-calorie treat made with egg whites, Mexican cheese blend, diced green chilis, olive oil spray, salt and pepper to taste. From The Slow Roasted Italian.
- Baked Eggs, Toast & Bacon Cups: Serves 4. Made with thin bread, cooked bacon (or prosciutto or ham), Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, heavy cream (or half and half), chopped fresh chives (for garnish), grated cheddar (or your favorite cheese), butter. From Cooking Quest.
- Italian Style Baked Cups: Made with turkey slices, coconut oil (or butter can be used), chopped onion, minced garlic, chopped mushrooms, fresh spinach, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper, shredded Parmesan. From Natural Noshing.
- With Zucchini: Ingredients are green onions, chopped garlic, thin coins of zucchini, fresh rosemary, fresh oregano, Gruyere cheese (or other favorite cheese), salt and pepper, olive oil. From Shoots & Roots.
- Caprese Baked Cups: Makes 4 cups, you’ll need halved grape tomatoes, mozzarella cheese (chopped), fresh basil, cream or milk, salt & pepper, softened butter. From How Sweet It Is.
- Breakfast Cups: Muffin tins are lined with precooked bacon then an egg is broken into the center of each mold before baking. From Kirbie’s Cravings.
- Hashbrown Eggs: Easy peasy to make, ingredients include chopped onion, grated potato, butter, grated cheddar and two eggs. Topped with salsa after baking. From Food Network.
- With Grated Potatoes: A hearty breakfast made with finely diced onion, mushrooms, grated potatoes, olive oil, crumbled feta cheese, coarsely chopped parsley, thyme, red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt. From Delicious Istanbul.
- Breakfast Tart: Serves 4. A crust of puff pastry dough is topped with creme fraiche, Gruyere cheese, bacon slices, eggs (sunny side up) and fresh chives. From Williams-Sonoma.
- Crepe Squares: Wow, impressive! You’ll need flour, sugar, salt, milk, melted butter, thin slices of ham and chopped fresh parsley to make this treat. From Framed Cooks.
- Toast Cups: Bread rounds are pressed into greased muffin tins, bacon curled around the edge and then shredded cheese and an egg are added then baked. From The Girl Who Ate Everything.
- Broccoli & Italian Sausage Muffins: Ingredients: Italian sausage, broccoli florets, vegetable oil, baking powder, salt & pepper to taste, freshly grated Parmesan cheese. From Snacking In The Kitchen.
- In Potato Bowls: Yum! Each bowl is made with a large baked potato (russet or sweet), butter, eggs, strips of bacon (cooked & diced), shredded cheese, chopped fresh parsley, salt and freshly ground black pepper. From Gimme Some Oven.
- In Toast Cups: Makes 6 cups, you’ll need sliced bread, bacon, shredded cheese, salt and pepper to make these. From The Noshery.
- Fast & Easy Breakfast Sandwiches: DIY Mcmuffins anyone? These can be frozen too! Made with english muffins or mini bagels, bacon or sausage patties and shredded or sliced cheese. From Chaos In The Kitchen.
- Mini Frittatas With Ham & Cheese: Can be made in advance, ingredients include finely chopped onion, reduced-fat ham, extra-sharp cheddar cheese, chopped fresh chives, dried thyme, black pepper. From My Recipes.
- Mushroom Cheddar Frittata: Yields 4. Made with white mushrooms, red new potatoes, olive oil, coarse salt & ground pepper, whole milk, Dijon mustard, hot-pepper sauce, shredded white cheddar and frozen chopped broccoli (thawed and patted dry). From Martha Stewart.
- Do Ahead Breakfast Bake: Serves 12, made with diced fully cooked ham, hash brown potatoes, green bell pepper, chopped onion (dried), shredded Cheddar, Original Bisquick mix, milk, pepper and eggs. From Betty Crocker.
- Gale Gand’s Recipe for Strata: Serves 8, recipe has five variations for filling ingredients. From House Beautiful.
- Strata with Greens, Gruyere, and Sausage: Can be prepared the night before, ingredients include dark leafy greens (such as collards, chard or kale) or one package frozen spinach (thawed), onion, unsalted butter, salt, black pepper, freshly grated nutmeg, cubed French or Italian bread, grated Gruyere, grated Parmigiana-Reggiano, milk, large eggs and Dijon mustard. From Eggs on Sunday.
- Mimi’s Christmas Breakfast: Serves 4 (approximately), ingredients include bread (crusts removed), shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, beaten eggs, skim milk and crumbled bacon pieces. From Confessions Of A Former Couch Potato.
- Eggs, Ham & Cheese Casserole: (Serves 1) Made with eggs, milk, cheese, ham (bacon or sausage), fresh herbs, salt and pepper. From Shop.Cook.Make.
- Blueberry Bake: Sweet and custardy, this can be assembled the night before. Ingredients: day-old baguette (cubed), blueberries, Neufchatel cheese, sugar, eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, milk and maple syrup (optional). From Whole Foods.
- Kale, Bacon & Cheese: Makes 4 to 6 servings, ingredients include a large bunch of kale, olive oil, bacon slices (cooked very crisp), low fat grated cheese, eggs, salt and freshly ground black pepper and Spike Seasoning (optional). From Kalyn’s Kitchen.
- Sunday Brunch: Serves 8 to 10, made with sourdough bread, softened butter, shredded cheddar, bulk pork sausage, sweet red pepper, green onion, eggs, condensed cream of asparagus soup, milk, white wine or chicken broth, Dijon mustard and pepper. From Taste of Home.
- Weekend Brunch Casserole: Serves 8, this is made with Bob Evans Original Recipe Sausage Roll, shredded mozzarella, refrigerated crescent dinner rolls, beaten eggs, milk, salt and black pepper. From Bob Evans.
- Italian: Ingredients include sweet Italian sausage, green onions, diced zucchini, salt, pepper, roasted red bell peppers (jar), Italian bread loaf, shredded cheddar, large eggs and milk. From My Recipes.
- Bacon, Tomato & Cheddar Bake: Ingredients include bakery white bread (cubes), extra-virgin olive oil, sliced applewood-smoked bacon, onion, canned whole Italian tomatoes, crushed red pepper, extra-sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack cheese, snipped chives, low-sodium chicken broth, salt, eggs and hot sauce (for serving). From Food & Wine.
- Sunday Brunch Bake: Made with sour cream, breakfast pork sausage, sliced fresh mushrooms, chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, shredded Triple Cheddar Cheese and a dozen eggs. From Kraft Recipes.
- Brunch Sausage Casserole: An easy holiday brunch recipe, you’ll need bulk pork sausage (cooked), cubed day-old bread, shredded cheddar, evaporated milk, lightly beaten eggs, dry mustard and onion powder. From Very Best Baking.
- Brunch Enchiladas: Made with cubed cooked ham, green onions, flour tortillas, shredded cheddar, flour, half & half cream, lightly beaten eggs, salt (optional). From Taste of Home.
- Mexican Sausage & Cornbread Strata: Ingredients include Jimmy Dean Sausage, finely chopped onion, frozen corn (defrosted), thick salsa, chopped cornbread, eggs, milk, salt, garlic powder, black pepper and shredded cheese. From Snappy Gourmet.
Also see these Hashbrown Casserole Recipes.
- Easy Blackberry Cheese Danish: (as seen in photo) Yields 8 servings, ingredients include Pillsbury crescent rolls, softened cream cheese, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, all-purpose flour, fresh blackberries and icing. From Lauren’s Latest.
- Brunch Bruschetta: Made with multi-grain dinner rolls, honey, orange juice, fresh mint leaves, fresh strawberries, fresh blueberries and vanilla yogurt. From Campbell’s Kitchen.
- Goat Cheese & Green Onion Mini Muffins: Makes approximately 25 muffins, ingredients include whole milk, soft mild goat cheese, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, unsalted butter, a large egg and green onions. From Clockwork Lemon.
- Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Bake: Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free. Ingredients: almond milk, pumpkin puree, quinoa (red or white), maple syrup, coconut oil, pure vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger, coconut oil, almond flour and chopped pecans. From Healthful Pursuit.
- Overnight Pull Aparts: Ingredients: frozen white roll dough, package vanilla instant pudding, sugar, dried cranberries, orange ring, butter or margarine, powdered sugar, melted butter and fresh orange juice. From Southern Plate.
- Bread Upma: Made with bread, tomatoes, ketchup, onion, spring onion, chili powder, garam masala, garlic paste, lime juice and salt (to taste). From 4th Sense Cooking.
- Peaches ‘n Cream Breakfast Cake: Ingredients include flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, egg, vegetable oil, milk, peaches, softened cream cheese, vanilla and sugar. From The Village Cook.
- Cheesy Bacon Breakfast Bites: Made with bacon (turkey or pork), a can of Pillsbury Crescent refrigerated seamless dough sheet and mild cheddar cheese. From Multiply Delicious.
- Country Brunch Skillet: Easy dish made with hashbrowns, eggs, crumbled bacon and shredded cheese. From Kathie Cooks.
- Sausage Pinwheels: Makes 36, ingredients include Bob Evans Original Recipe Sausage Roll and crescent roll dough. Recipe from Bob Evans.
- Parmesan Hash Brown Cups: Ingredients include green onions, black pepper, olive oil, grated Parmesan, Kosher salt, shredded potatoes and cooking spray. From The Yummy Life.
- Breakfast Pizza: A dough is made from scratch then topped with fresh mozzarella cheese, small tomatoes, bacon, fresh Italian parsley, fresh basil. From Garlic Girl.
- Stuff Your Face Breakfast Potatoes: Serves 2, these are made with extra virgin olive oil, butter, chopped onion, red potatoes, salt, garlic powder, paprika, fresh-cracked black pepper and fresh parsley. From The Chic Life.
- Bacon Cheddar Muffins: Makes 20-24 muffins, ingredients: all-purpose flour, baking powder, sharp cheddar cheese, cooked bacon, fresh chives, Kosher salt, cayenne pepper, unsalted butter, sour cream and milk. From The Cooking Bride.
- Sugar Crusted Vanilla French Toast: (overnight) A custard mix is poured over a pan filled with crusty bread slices then refrigerated overnight and baked the next morning. From Phemomenon.
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Croissants: An easy treat made with refrigerated crescent roll dough, filled with homemade strawberry jam and cream cheese. From Rumbly In My Tumbly.
- Amaretto-baked French Toast With Pecans: Brioche bread is cut into cubes then soaked in a mixture of beaten eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and amaretto. Topped with pecans before baking then maple syrup is poured over all before serving. From Sweet Paul.
- Breakfast Bake: (as seen in photo) Serves 4 to 6, ingredients: old fashioned rolled oats (uncooked), granulated sugar, milk, lightly beaten eggs, vanilla, brown sugar and raisins. From Circle B Kitchen.
- Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal: Yields 6 to 8, ingredients include steel cut oats, buckwheat groats, ground flax, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, water, buttermilk, beaten eggs, melted butter, lemon juice (and zest), vanilla and diced apples. From Guilty Kitchen.
- With Cranberries: cinnamon, chopped nuts and vanilla extract. From Proceed With Caution.
- Baked With Berries: Made with rolled oats, walnut pieces (toasted), natural cane sugar or maple syrup, aluminum-free baking powder, ground cinnamon, fine-grain sea salt, milk, large egg, unsalted butter, pure vanilla extract, ripe bananas and huckleberries, blueberries or mixed berries. From Lottie & Doof.
Also see How To Make Crockpot Oatmeal.