Whether you’re serving them as appetizers or as a main dish, chicken wings are a sure hit and crowd-pleasing fare. They can be prepared in a variety of ways (deep fried, grilled, oven baked or broiled) and infused with endless lip-smacking flavors.
Here are nearly 50 recipes you can try, some sweet, some spicy, some gooey–all delish! I’ve separated them into two groups for easier browsing: Saucy/Sticky/Glazed and Hot or Spicy. These are mainly cooked in the oven but I have a few grilling and fried recipes (which are noted) as well as a slow cooker dish.
I made sure to include simple recipes using basic ingredients as well as plenty that are more restaurant-worthy, so there should be something here for everyone. You’ll also find an easy honey garlic recipe at the bottom of the page (using just ketchup, honey, soy sauce and crushed garlic).
PS: Do you remember way back in the day when wings were a frugal purchase? Now they’re a bit pricey, but oh-so-good.
Lots here to keep you busy, enjoy!
- Tangy Lime with Avocado Dip : Marinade: limes, fresh cilantro leaves, vegetable oil, honey, jalapeno peppers (trimmed & sliced), tomato paste, chopped garlic and a pinch of salt. Dip: an avocado (cut into chunks & mashed), chopped fresh cilantro leaves, lime juice, garlic clove (minced), salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. From The Deen Brothers.
- Vietnamese-Style : (grilled) Marinade overnight, ingredients include roughly chopped garlic, chopped shallots, chopped fresh ginger, chopped scallion whites, lemongrass bottoms, light brown sugar, fish sauce, fresh lime juice, peanut oil, Kosher salt, dry-roasted peanuts (chopped) and fresh cilantro. From Emeril Lagasse at Food Network.
- Vietnamese (with fish sauce) : (Stovetop/Fried) Made with Asian fish sauce, superfine sugar, garlic cloves, vegetable oil (for frying), cornstarch, chopped cilantro and chopped mint. From Food & Wine.
- Coca-Cola : (Wok or skillet) Made with soy sauce, canola oil, dry sherry (or Chinese rice wine), Coca-Cola, chopped scallions and freshly ground black pepper. From Appetite for China.
- Turmeric & Honey : Ingredients include honey, soy sauce, salt, turmeric powder, chili powder and peeled ginger. From Rasamalaysia.
- Ginger Garlic : Makes 20 servings, glaze ingredients are brown sugar, rice vinegar, grated gingerroot, Sriracha hot chili sauce (or crushed red pepper flakes), garlic cloves and soy sauce. Other ingredients: red pepper sauce, vegetable oil, salt, pepper, wing drummettes, all-purpose flour. From Betty Crocker.
- Sticky Chicken : Made with soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, butter or margarine (melted), light brown sugar, Creole seasoning and dry mustard. From My Recipes.
- Honey : Made with salsa or picante sauce, honey and ground ginger. From My Recipes.
- Thai : (both wings & ribs) Made with frozen pineapple-orange-apple juice concentrate (undiluted), soy sauce, creamy peanut butter, minced fresh cilantro, minced fresh ginger, pressed garlic clove and sugar. From My Recipes.
- Honey Mustard : Chicken is tossed with Grey Poupon Savory Honey Mustard then seasoned with salt and pepper before baking in the oven. From Kraft Foods.
- Dijon : Made with Dijon mustard, honey, mustard powder, finely grated garlic, Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Yields 6 – 8 servings. From Food Network.
- Sweet & Savory : Made with pineapple juice, soy sauce, lemon-flavored gelatin and poppy seeds. From Rachael Ray.
- Sticky Spicy Honey : Made with brown sugar, minced garlic, black pepper, sriracha hot chili sauce, water, honey, soy sauce, cornstarch and water. From La Petit Brioche.
- One Pot Sticky Wings : (stovetop) Ingredients include minced fresh ginger, dried red chiles, whole star anise, cinnamon stick, soy sauce, sake, oyster sauce, mirin, sugar and thinly sliced scallions. From Food & Wine.
- Honey Soy : Serves 4, ingredients include soy sauce, hoisin sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil, cayenne pepper (optional), salt, sesame seeds and finely chopped scallion (green part only). From Appetite For China.
- Teriyaki : (grilled) Made with sesame seeds, soy sauce, grapefruit juice, hoisin sauce, ketchup, rice wine vinegar, light brown sugar, garlic, ginger. From Delish.
- Teriyaki : Made with reduced-sodium soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar and seasoned with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve with long-grain white rice and small broccoli florets (directions provided). From Martha Stewart.
- Easy Teriyaki : Made with soy sauce, brown sugar, oil, powdered ginger and garlic powder. From Elle’s New England Kitchen.
- Sweet & Sour : Ingredients include soy sauce, white vinegar, clover or wildflower honey, garlic cloves, peeled fresh ginger (thinly sliced), sesame seeds (toasted) and chopped fresh chives (optional). From Martha Stewart.
- Pineapple & BBQ Sauce : Simple dish made with a couple cans of pineapple tidbits (in juice) and bottled barbecue sauce. From Kraft Foods.
- Coconut : (grilled) Sweet and savory, this is made with vegetable oil (or light olive oil), soy sauce, sugar, mild curry powder, salt, ground black pepper, grated lemon zest, coconut milk and flaked sweetened coconut. From Disney’s FamilyFun.
- Apricot : Made with apricot preserves, cider vinegar, hot pepper sauce, chili powder and minced garlic. From Taste of Home.
- Thai With Peanut Sauce : (Slow Cooker) Yields 12 servings (2 pieces each), made with bottled salsa, creamy peanut butter, lime juice, soy sauce, grated fresh ginger, sugar substitute (Splenda), water and minced garlic. From Better Homes And Gardens.
- Baked Honey & Lemon : Made with lemon, bay leaves (fresh or dried), light soy sauce, honey, salt and pepper. From Christine’s Recipes.
- Sesame : Ingredients include soy sauce, water, sugar, sesame or olive oil, green onions, sliced onion, minced garlic, sesame seeds and a dash of pepper. From Taste of Home.
- Honey Barbecue : Ingredients include honey, soy sauce, Teriyaki sauce, BBQ sauce, vegetable oil and minced garlic. From Mom Advice.
Hot or Spicy:
- Jamaican Jerk : Can be grilled or oven broiled. Marinate for up to 24 hours, ingredients include Jamaican jerk seasoning, cider vinegar, orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, soy sauce and served with salsa. From Midwest Living.
- Sweet & Spicy : Marinade ingredients: olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, Tabasco sauce, cayenne pepper (or crushed chili peppers), honey. Seasoned with salt, freshly ground black pepper and drizzled with honey for glaze. From Season With Spice.
- Sesame Buffalo : (grilled) Made with sesame oil, garlic salt, ground red pepper (cayenne), ground ginger, barbecue sauce and sliced green onions. From Kraft Foods.
- Barbecue : (grilled) Sauce ingredients include finely chopped onion, canola oil, minced garlic, ketchup, cider vinegar, packed brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cayenne pepper, ground cumin, hot pepper sauce. Wings: cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper and wingettes. From Taste of Home.
- Grilled Spicy Thai : Made with dry sherry or chicken broth, oyster sauce, honey, chopped fresh cilantro, chili sauce, grated lime peel, chopped green onions and finely chopped garlic cloves. From Betty Crocker.
- Sweet & Spicy : (grilled) Marinated overnight. Ingredients include ketchup, Dijon mustard, hot sauce, soy sauce and light brown sugar. From Food & Wine.
- Hot Wings With Blue Cheese Yogurt Sauce : (stovetop/fried) Ingredients include peanut oil (for frying), all-purpose flour, Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, ancho chili powder, garlic powder, red wine vinegar, pureed chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, New Mexico chili powder, dijon mustard, honey, unsalted butter, chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish). Sauce is made with Greek yogurt, crumbled blue cheese, finely grated red onion, finely chopped fresh cilantro, Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. From Bobby Flay at Food Network.
- Spicy With Blue Cheese Dressing : (grilled) Made with garlic salt, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, dried oregano (crushed). Dipping Sauce: Mayonnaise, crumbled blue cheese, evaporated milk, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic salt and celery seeds. From Midwest Living.
- Spicy Citrus Caramel : Serves 6, made with olive oil, coarse salt, zest of lemon and lime, blood oranges, sugar, freshly squeezed blood orange juice, corn syrup, finely chopped fresh ginger, Sriracha and cayenne pepper. From Martha Stewart.
- Smokestack’s Crisp & Charred : (grilled) Serves 6 – 8, ingredients include Kosher salt, sweet paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, dried Oregano, ground black pepper, ground white pepper, dried sage, cayenne, unsalted butter (melted), mild hot sauce, juice of 1 lemon and Old Bay seasoning. From Saveur.
- Spicy Ranch : Made with hot pepper sauce, melted butter, cider vinegar, ranch salad dressing mix and paprika. From Taste of Home.
- Cajun Fried : (stovetop) Serves 4, made with cajun seasoning, olive oil, honey, corn starch, flour, salt and oil for frying. From Life’s Ambrosia.
- Grilled Lemon Pepper : Made with Kosher salt, sugar, water, black peppercorns (ground), zest of lemons, ground coriander, granulated garlic, dried thyme and Kosher salt. From She Cooks He Cleans.
- Crispy Lime & Cilantro with Sriracha : (stovetop) Fried in duck fat, ingredients include cilantro leaves, jalapenos (thinly sliced) and marinated in Kosher salt, sugar, smoked paprika, juiced limes, extra virgin olive oil. Sauce: Sriracha, apple cider vinegar, honey, unsalted butter, lime zest and salt. From Michael Symon at The Chew.
- Caribbean : Ingredients include habanero (seeded and chopped), soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, sugar, fennel seed, cayenne pepper, allspice, dried thyme, ground ginger, chopped garlic cloves, chopped green onions, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, orange juice. From Sunny Anderson at Food Network.
- Baked Buffalo Wings : (includes a blue cheese dressing recipe) Ingredients include cooking oil, garlic, salt, cayenne, mayonnaise, sour cream, blue cheese, scallions, vinegar, fresh-ground black pepper, ketchup, Tabasco sauce and celery. From Cooking.com.
- Kicking Garlic Buffalo : Ingredients: salt, ground black pepper, oil, corn flour, crushed garlic, chili flakes, brown sugar, paprika and balsamic vinegar. From Adora’s Box.
- Grilled Indian-Style : Marinade ingredients: thick curd, ginger paste, garlic paste, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, chili powder, lemon juice, dried fenugreek leaves, ground black pepper, oil, salt, coriander leaves (for garnish, optional). Sauce: finely chopped onions, tomato, garlic, ginger, salt, water and oil. From My Kitchen Antics.
- Spicy Oven-Baked : Made with minced garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, minced or grated fresh ginger, paprika, cayenne, hot sauce and chopped fresh coriander. From Karen Hamilton.
- Apricot Glazed Sriracha : Ingredients include soy sauce, apricot jam, cider vinegar, dry white wine (optional), Sriracha sauce, minced garlic, lemon halves, salt and pepper. From Eat Boutique.
- Korean Spicy & Deep Fried : Marinade ingredients: milk, salt, ground pepper, white sugar, ground ginger, garlic cloves and finely grated brown onion. Coating: Korean curry powder, potato starch and tempura flour. Sweet & Spicy sauce: finely diced onion, tomato sauce, sweet chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, water and dried chili flakes. From Kitchen Wench.
- Oven Fried With Sticky Ginger Garlic Glaze : Made with hot sauce, vegetable oil, flour and salt and freshly ground black pepper. Glaze: crushed garlic cloves, grated ginger, chili sauce (or hot pepper flakes), rice vinegar, brown sugar and soy sauce. From Food Wishes.
Easy Honey Garlic Version
*First published January 11, 2008 and moved here for better organization
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- Roast approximately 3 pounds of wings for one hour (open pan). Flip them every 15 minutes. Drain.
- Heat sauce ingredients together over low heat. Once the sauce is smooth, pour over pieces. Bake for 1/2 hour–250°F.