These are a great idea for a homemade Valentine’s Day treat or Christmas package and they’re so quick and easy to make. Prepare them ahead of time and package right before gift giving for best results.
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tsp shortening
24 – 28 regular shaped pretzels (about 3″ in size)
Sprinkles (Optional – See Tips section below for ideas)
- Prepare a large baking sheet by lining it with wax paper (or parchment paper).
- Melt first two ingredients together by using a double boiler with the water at a gentle simmer. Stir while it’s heating and remove from heat once it’s fully melted (you can also use a microwave, see section below).
- Using a fork, dip each pretzel one at a time into the mixture. You can completely cover them or just 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up, leaving some exposed.
- Lay each on a cookie sheet to set. If you wish to add sprinkles for garnish, now’s the time to do it while still wet (you can do around 6 at a time before sprinkling in batches).
- Allow to set for about one hour before packing away for storage. Keep in an airtight container with a piece of wax paper between layers. Will keep for about two weeks in a cool, dark place (they do not need to be refrigerated).
A few tips & ideas:
- For something more special and decorative, try candy sprinkles, shredded coconut, crushed peanuts or almonds, crushed peppermints or candy canes, crushed cookies. You can either sprinkle over top or roll each in a dish filled with toppings to get them coated really well.
- Store at room temperature for up to two weeks in an airtight container.
- If you don’t have a double boiler, you can use the microwave at 30 second intervals–just make sure to stir frequently while heating (do not overcook or the chocolate will be bitter).
- Try dark or white chocolate or butterscotch chips for coating–or do a combo of two by dipping in one flavor then once cooled, drizzle another flavor for a decorative effect (and a flavor twist).