Chutney is a relish or condiment that can be served in a variety of ways: alongside meat or slathered on thick slices of crusty bread and good quality crackers (alone or layered with cream cheese). It’s made with finely chopped fruits, vegetables, spices and seasonings and can be sweet or spicy.
Many times it’s prepared to be consumed within a few days (refrigerated) but it can also be canned for long term storage. It’s very popular during harvest season when you can experiment with different garden-fresh ingredients and during the holidays (both to serve on the holiday table and for homemade gifts).
Today’s Recipe Hit List is a collection that I’ve handpicked from around the ‘net featuring a variety of ingredients (tomatoes, apples, cranberries, rhubarb, apricots and more). Most are for refrigeration but there are a few canning recipes too (which have been noted as “canning” beside the title).
Note: There are several for both cranberry and tomatoes so I separated those into their own groups for easier browsing (cranberry chutney makes an excellent substitute for cranberry sauce). Enjoy!
- Apple : (canning) Ingredients include cooking apples, onions, sultanas, Demerara sugar, white wine vinegar, zest and juice of lemons, small chili, ground ginger, ground allspice, cinnamon, ground cloves, Maldon sea salt, peppercorns and mustard seed. From The Cottage Smallholder.
- Apple : Makes 2 cups. Ingredients include olive oil, diced sweet onion, jalapeno, fresh ginger, ground coriander, ground mustard, diced apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, water, salt and pepper. From food52.
- Apricot & Ginger : Serves 8. Ingredients include olive oil, chopped onion, crushed garlic, dried apricots, sultanas, grated fresh root ginger, orange juice, cider vinegar and light brown sugar. From BBC GoodFood.
- Dried Apricot : Makes 2 1/2 cups. Ingredients include dried apricots, dried currants, fresh ginger root, chopped onion, minced garlic, hot green Thai chiles (minced), cardamom pods, nigella seeds, black mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, water, salt and ground black pepper. From The Well Seasoned Cook.
- Pear & Dried Apricot : Makes about 1 1/2 pints. Ingredients include ripe tomatoes, caster sugar, cooking apples, finely chopped onions, chopped dried apricots, fresh root ginger, salt, white wine vinegar and pears. From BBC GoodFood.
- Rhubarb, Cherry & Golden Raisin : Makes 1 cup, ingredients include golden raisins, dried tart cherries, brandy, mustard seeds, aniseed, chopped rhubarb, sugar and fresh lime juice. From Epicurious.
- Rhubarb : Makes about 2 1/2 cups. Ingredients include canola or olive oil, finely chopped onion, rhubarb, chopped apple, raisins, grated fresh ginger, white or brown sugar, red wine vinegar and a cinnamon stick. From Dinner With Julie.
- Raisin, Fig & Ginger : Makes about 1 pint. Ingredients include white wine, agave, lemon juice, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, peppercorns, raisins, chopped dried figs, crystallized ginger (chopped) and applesauce. From Eat Make Read.
- Cilantro : Serves 8. Ingredients include cilantro, finely chopped tomato, finely chopped onion, finely chopped garlic, grated or minced ginger, serrano pepper, lemon juice, sea salt and sugar. From Whole Foods.
- Cilantro Mint : Makes about 1 1/2 cups. Ingredients include fresh cilantro leaves, fresh mint leaves, minced yellow onion, minced garlic, ground cumin, serrano chili, sugar, kosher salt, fresh lemon juice and plain yogurt. From Williams-Sonoma.
- Spicy Watermelon : Serves 6. Ingredients include rice vinegar, fresh lime juice, sugar, jalapeno pepper, minced fresh ginger, fresh pineapple, dried cranberries, diced red bell pepper, diced watermelon, finely diced red onion, seeded and diced tomato, chopped cilantro, chopped mint, olive oil and kosher salt. From food52.
- Easy Pumpkin : Makes about 2 pints. Ingredients include peeled, deseeded and diced pumpkins, oranges, lemons, light muscovado sugar and cider vinegar. From BBC GoodFood.
- Green Tomato & Apple : Makes about 1 quart. Ingredients include green tomatoes, firm apples, peeled & sliced shallots, dried chiles, candied ginger, apple cider vinegar, golden raisins, light or dark brown sugar, yellow or black mustard seeds, ground cardamom, ground allspice, orange zest (or chopped candied orange peel). From David Lebovitz.
- Tomato : Makes 3 cups. Ingredients include olive oil, chopped onion, chopped vine-ripened tomatoes, Dijon mustard, malt vinegar, brown sugar, sea salt and cracked black pepper. From Donna Hay.
- Tomato Onion : Ingredients include ripe tomatoes, onions, garlic cloves, red chili powder, dhania/coriander powder, oil, mustard seeds, Hing/Kayapodi, curry leaves and salt. From Spicy Chilly.
- Spiced Plum & Apple : (canning) Ingredients include plums, apple, onions, freshly grated root ginger, crushed garlic, chili, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, light muscavado sugar, apple cider vinegar, sunflower oil, freshly milled black pepper and sea salt. From Apple And Spice.
- Fire Roasted Tomato : Serves 2-3. Ingredients include red tomatoes, green chili, roughly chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, cumin seeds, cumin powder, lemon juice and salt (to taste). From Journey Kitchen.
- Spicy Tomato : (canning recipe, store for up to 2 months) Ingredients include vegetable oil, mustard seeds, onion seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chilis, red chili powder, raw organic cane sugar, white distilled vinegar, fresh tomatoes and salt to taste. From Becks & Posh.
- Tomato Ginger : Makes 3 cups. Ingredients include vegetable oil, chopped onion, minced garlic, minced peeled fresh ginger, diced tomatoes, red-wine vinegar, light-brown sugar and golden raisins. From Martha Stewart.
- Green Tomato : Makes 3 cups. Ingredients include diced green tomatoes, diced onion, currants, sweet vermouth, brown sugar, cider vinegar, mustard seeds and salt. From Eating Well.
- Gingered Cranberry Fig : Serves 6-8. Ingredients include fresh cranberries, minced yellow onion, light brown sugar, orange juice, cider vinegar, raisins, hazelnuts (toasted & chopped), black mission figs, fresh ginger, freshly squeezed lemon juice, yellow mustard seeds, Kosher salt, ground cinnamon, red pepper flakes, ground cloves and fresh thyme. From food52.
- Cranberry Pear : Yields 4 cups. Ingredients include finely chopped red onion, oil, fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped pears, water, dried cranberries, packed brown sugar, cider vinegar, ground allspice, cinnamon sticks, lemon juice and topped with toasted pistachios. From Kraft Recipes.
- Cranberry, Sour Cherries & Grapefruit : Makes about 3 cups. Ingredients include fresh or frozen cranberries, sugar, apple-cider vinegar, ground cardamom, ground cloves, salt, dried sour cherries and Ruby Red grapefruits. From Martha Stewart.
- Cranberry : Makes about 2 1/2 cups, Ingredients include fresh cranberries, granulated sugar, dark brown sugar, fresh orange juice, apple cider, cinnamon stick and fresh mint leaves. From Williams Sonoma.
- Apple & Cranberry : (canning recipe, store for up to 6 months). Ingredients include apples, onions, fresh root ginger, peppercorns, granulated sugar, cider vinegar and cranberries. From BBC GoodFood.
- Cranberry, Raspberry & Pear : Makes about 4 1/2 cups. Ingredients include cranberries, sugar, firm pears, lemon zest, fresh or frozen raspberries, lemon juice and a pinch of coarse salt. From Martha Stewart.
- Cranberry : Makes 1 quart. Ingredients include fresh cranberries, sugar, raspberry preserves, water, chopped walnuts and freshly grated orange zest. From Feast On The Cheap.