Have a bit of hairspray and hair product buildup on your curling or flat iron? Here’s an easy way to clean that gunk off:
- Make sure it’s unplugged and the barrel is cool to the touch.
- Pour a bit of rubbing alcohol on a damp cloth or a cotton ball and rub the barrel clean, make sure to open the clamp so you can wipe underneath it too. If the buildup is really stubborn and won’t come off easily, try gently scrubbing with a toothbrush that was first dipped in rubbing alcohol.
- After removing all of the buildup, take another clean cloth and wet it with a bit of water. Wipe off the iron to remove any residue.
- Wait until the barrel is completely dry before plugging it in again.
Another tip: You can also try mixing 1/4 cup warm water and 1 TBS liquid fabric softener. Wash with a cloth, the hairspray and gunk should wipe right off. Use a q-tip for hard to get at spots.
If you don’t have any rubbing alcohol in the house, you can also use:
- Household ammonia
- Nail polish remover (acetone based)
- Thick paste of baking soda and water
A good way to clean teflon coated barrels is to heat it up, unplug then wrap a damp cloth tightly around the barrel. After a few minutes you should be able to wipe the buildup off easily.
- If you regularly wipe it down with a damp cloth after use (making sure the iron is unplugged first), this will prevent hair product buildup from happening.