How To Clean Stainless Steel Appliances: Tips
Gleaming stainless steel appliances look lovely in the kitchen, but the downside is the ever-present fingerprint marks and smudges (especially around refrigerator and oven door handles). There’s no getting around the extra effort it takes to keep them shining, but here’s how you can get rid of those pesky smudges easily.
First do a quick wipe (focusing on the hot spots like doors and handles) with a gentle liquid dish detergent & water mix, dry with a towel. After washing you’ll likely see the smudges and marks still hanging in there. You can buff out each with a lint-free towel and some pressure, but try one of these items instead to bring back the shine and quickly remove those pesky fingerprints and smudges:
- Olive Oil (just a dab will do)
- Mineral Oil (Baby Oil)–Just a dab will do
- Club Soda (especially good for removing streaks and heat stains)
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Vinegar (great for polishing too)
Directions For Use:
- Apply directly to a lint-free cloth and wipe down, follow up with a dry cloth to bring surface to a mark-free shine (microfiber cloths are nice to use for this but a towel works fine too).
- Avoid using cleaners or tools that are abrasive since they can mar the surface (even some soft-scrubbing creams can cause damage).
- When washing, wipe down along the grain of the surface for best results.
- Don’t use bleach (diluted or otherwise), this can damage the finish.
- Don’t forget to open the refrigerator or oven door, you’ll likely see a mess of smudges along the edge of the door.
Taking just a few minutes each day can keep them gleaming and looking brand new, and it’s just as easy to keep the inside of your refrigerator sparkling too! Check out this quick tip for 10 Minute Chunks A Day.