Here are several different methods that I’ve tried for healing or preventing cold sores from forming and they have worked for me.
It’s most effective to apply treatment as soon as you notice the “tingling” that happens right before a blister appears. Some of these may burn a bit or cause a sting, numb the spot with an ice cube first if that bothers you.
Try *one* of the items below, do not apply everything all at the same time.
- Nail Polish Remover
- Toothpaste: Dab some on and leave there as long as possible.
- Tea Tree Oil (melaleuca oil)
- Baking Soda
- Hydrogen Peroxide
Keep treating until it disappears completely. I know some people pick and poke and try to get it to pop or drain, but that’s never worked well for me (bigger mess and possible scar to deal with).
- I find it also helps to keep the lips covered with chapstick or lip balm, slathering it on constantly as soon as I feel one forming.
- Please remember to use separate hand towels, bath towels, and wash cloths. You’re dealing with the herpes simplex virus and it’s very contagious. Also avoid sharing utensils, dishes, cups and kissing for awhile.
- This virus can cause blindness if it gets in your eyes, don’t touch them unless you have thoroughly washed your hands first.
Do you have any tried and true remedies that I missed? Please share by adding it in the discussion are below :).
Please Note: These are from my collection, none are intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. This information is provided for general knowledge purposes only.