Beat the winter blues by freshening your home with scents of summery citrus, herbs & spices. Here are 12 easy DIY air fresheners that can help make that happen…
- Fragrance Bowls: Fill large decorative bowls with clean sand then top with citrus peelings, homemade potpourri, cinnamon sticks and bunches of fresh herbs or fragrant flowers to fill a room with a pleasing, and natural, fragrance.
- Simmering Spices, Herbs & Citrus Peels: This is a lovely way to make your home smell warm and inviting. Just fill a pot with water, add your favorite ingredients and simmer all day. This also helps humidify the home a bit. See Simmering Pot Recipes  for ideas.
- Homemade Gel Air Fresheners: Using plain gelatin, water, salt, essential oil and food coloring, you can make your own gel air fresheners with scents exactly how you want them. See Homemade Smelly Jelly Recipes  for instructions.
- Fragrant Bedroom Sacks: Fill small fabric sacks about the size of a shoe bag with Homemade Potpourri  and tie closed with ribbon to make large sachets. Arrange them with the pillows for a pretty decor effect.
- Vanilla & Cloves Air Freshener Spray: 1 cup water, 1 cup household vinegar, 1 TBS vanilla extract, 1 tsp cloves…directions here: Recipe .
- Warm Cinnamon: Wrap tea lights with sticks of cinnamon for a pretty display–the cinnamon fragrance will fill the room when the candle is lit and the cinnamon is heated. See Cinnamon Votives  (#2 on the list).
- Salt Packed Citrus Shells : The salt absorbs stale and nasty odors while the shell releases a fresh, orange smell.
- You can make a homemade version of reed diffuser oil with just a few simple ingredients that you can find locally: Mineral Oil, Sweet Almond Oil or Safflower Oil, Vodka, Essential Oils & Water, Liquid Potpourri. See Homemade Reed Diffusers: How-To & Tips  for directions.
- Stale Room Odor Buster: Simply fill small bowls half way with household vinegar and place them in areas that are out of the way and won’t be spilled. The vinegar will clear the room of stale odors and freshen the room. You could also use bowls of baking soda with dried herbs or flowers mixed in for extra fragrance.
- Bathroom Air Freshener: Dip a q-tip in your favorite perfume or essential oil then tape it inside a roll of toilet paper. Each time the roll is used the fragrance will be released.
- Fragrant Kitchen: Grow herbs indoors not only for their culinary uses, but to also add lovely scents to the kitchen. Simply brush leaves with your hands to release the plants natural aroma. See 9 Ways To Grow Herbs  for tips.
- Lemon Air Freshener Spray: 2 cups hot water, 1/8 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup lemon juice. You can also whip up some good, fresh smelling spray with just two ingredients: water or vinegar and essential oils. More info at Homemade Air Freshener Sprays .