Today’s post is quite a treat! Here are some first-rate suggestions by Lou Manfredini , Ace Hardware’s Helpful Hardware Man. He’s put together a list of energy saving tips for Tipnut readers to help us cut back on energy usage and save some cash in the process.
Lou Manfredini - Ace Hardware's Helpful Hardware Man
Hi everyone, this is Lou Manfredini, Ace’s “Helpful Hardware Man”. I know in today’s world we are all trying to save the planet and save money, and I have a way to do both. By decreasing our own energy consumption, we can drive down our monthly bills and be more eco-friendly at the same time–what’s to lose?
Here are my top 10 tips on saving energy:
- Service your heating system every year. It will help your system operate much more efficiently and only costs between $75 – $100, a cost you’ll more than make back in energy savings.
- Install a programmable thermostat. These units cost between $40 – $100 but make a huge difference. You can program your thermostat to lower the temperature in your home while you are at work or asleep, saving you up to 30% on energy. Some areas even offer rebates on your heating and cooling bills if you install a programmable thermostat!
- Add weather stripping around doors and windows. This is a project that any homeowner can do and if you live in a drafty home, it could save you up to 20% with an investment of as little as $25.
- Utilize ceiling fans. You know how heat rises? Well running your fans in reverse very slowly in the winter will bring that warm air down to you.
- Check the arrangement of your furniture. I know, it sounds too simple to be true, but many homeowners accidentally place furniture over vents or baseboard radiators, which decreases the efficiency of the units and makes your furnace have to work harder.
- Consider installing a tankless water heater. So this is a little bit bigger of an investment, but it makes a huge difference. Tankless water heaters heat water on demand so there is no stored water needing to be continuously heated. They cost around $200 more than a standard heater, but with the tankless water heater running about 20% more efficiently than a standard unit, you’ll recoup the cost increase in just 2 years.
- Be smart about the temperature you set in your home. According to the EPA, you’ll save up to 3% on your energy bills simply by turning down your thermostat just one degree.
- Install thermo-pane windows in your home. This one change will increase your home’s energy efficiency up to 70%! These windows are much more resistant to losing heat than traditional windows. Plus they look great.
- Make sure your ceilings and attic are properly insulated. Again, heat rises, so if there isn’t enough insulation in the spaces above, your money is literally going out the roof!
- Let the sun be your guide. It’s free energy, so take advantage of it! During the day, open those drapes and blinds and let the sun heat your home. At night, draw the curtains to keep the heat inside.
I hope these tips help you save money and use less energy! Feel free to visit www.acehardware.com  to learn more of my tips on saving energy.
Thanks very much for sharing these tips with us Lou! If you have a tip or tutorial that you’d like to share with Tipnut readers, please contact me . There’s no charge to publish it but I’m looking for original, interesting and helpful information that will benefit readers–I’ll be sure to give you full credit.