Fruit Designs: Applique & Embroidery Patterns
New year, new freebie pattern series! Here’s the latest vintage set on Tipnut: Tea Towel Fruits in Applique &/Or Cross Stitch. There are six different designs in this set and both the cross stitch design and the applique patch are included. I believe this pattern is from the 1940s but it could be earlier, it’s an Alice Brooks Transfer (#6037).
- This pattern contains motifs to be worked in cross stitch with applique or in cross stitch with outline stitch to be used on kitchen towels.
- All applique patches are given.
- Linen toweling should be used for towels, percale, gingham or a similar material for applique patches and six strand cotton for embroidery.
- The motifs are to be done in a variety of colors or in one color.
Material Requirements: One Towel
- 1 yard of 16 or 18 inch material
- Six strand cotton in each color to be used
- Small scraps for applique patches
- When working in plain embroidery disregard applique patches.
- Hem each towel end.
- Transfer applique patches on contrasting material when working motifs in applique.
Directions: Click on image to access larger pattern (jpg file format), right click and then save to your desktop. Each of the files have already been flipped so you can trace directly on top of them when transferring to fabric, you’ll find tips for transferring patterns here.
Note: There are a few in this set that are just a bit too large to fit on a single sheet of paper so the edge is cut off a bit, you’ll still be able to work with them since the amount missing is very minimal.
- Follow Color Suggestions and work crosses, cross stitch; continuous lines, outline stitch and single lines, single stitch.
- Follow Color Suggestions and cut out patches on outer line; the inner broken line is the finishing line. Slash edges on small lines at right angles to outer line. Turn under edges and baste in place on motif. Catch patch to article with outline stitch; work rest of motif following directions for Plain Embroidery.
- For working in Plain Embroidery or Applique work fruits in their respective colors; leaves, green; large crosses, deep green, brown or black; or work all in one color if desired.