Here’s a nice variety of casseroles that I’ve handpicked from around the ‘net for today’s Recipe Hit List. You’ll find some made from scratch with fresh green beans, others lightened up for a healthier version and a few that are quick & easy using canned soups and bags of frozen beans (first thawed). Enjoy!
*Note: A few descriptions below are quotes from the reference sites
- With Crispy Shallots : Ingredients include haricots verts or thin string beans, sliced white mushrooms, sliced shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced shallots, chopped garlic, olive oil, half-and-half, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts and more. From Sweet Nicks.
- The Foodie’s Version : Ingredients include fresh green beans,chopped crimini mushrooms, dried porcinis, butter, minced garlic, chicken stock, heavy cream, canned fried onions and toasted almond slivers. From Nook & Pantry.
- With Artichoke : Made with trimmed & cut fresh green beans, butter, flour, minced garlic cloves, whole milk, can artichoke hearts, cayenne pepper and white sandwich bread slices. From Martha Stewart.
- Herbed : Ingredients include canned green beans, dried bread crumbs, assorted dried herbs, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese. From Crisco.
- Gourmet-Style : For this gourmet take on a potluck classic, the casserole is assembled and the shallots are cooked ahead of time. Just before serving, pop the dish under the broiler for about 10 minutes. From Martha Stewart.
- World’s Best : This is not your mama’s green bean casserole recipe — it’s made from scratch without canned green beans and without canned mushroom soup! This updated recipe uses fresh green beans and fresh mushrooms yet retains the deserved ‘comfort food’ familiarity. From A Veggie Venture.
- Made From Scratch : Making the entire recipe from scratch does take a bit more time, but it’s definitely worth it. I made the casserole in advance and then just baked it the last fifteen minutes just prior to serving. From Beantown Baker.
- With Caramelized Onions : This is not the no-mess, super-easy recipe of yore, but it is low in fat and high in flavor. To go one step further, substitute 1/2 pound fresh green beans for frozen. From Eating Well.
- Vegan Sauteed Shallot, Crimini, Fennel & Green Bean : Ingredients include fresh green beans, vegan french friend onions, vegan margarine, creamy portobello soup, MimicCreme, fresh fennel, diced shallot, chopped mushrooms and more. From Veganize It…Don’t Criticize It.
- Slow Cooker Alfredo Version : This version has the great taste you crave, but it cooks itself in your slow cooker–proving that all green bean casseroles are not created equal! From Pillsbury.
- Delightfully Light : Ingredients include finely chopped onion, margarine, fine dry bread crumbs, reduced-fat and reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup, slivered almonds, roasted red sweet peppers, chopped, or one 2-ounce jar diced pimiento, drained, frozen French-cut green beans, thawed and drained. From Midwest Living.
- With Rice : If you have picky eaters that love rice, here’s an evil plot! Lace their rice with bacon, cheese and vegetables. They won’t be able to resist. From Smoky Mountain Cafe.
- With French-Fried Onion Rings : Serves 6 and ingredients include canned French-fried onion rings, can cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, sliced green beans, sliced fresh mushrooms, diced onions, butter and grated Cheddar cheese. From Paula Deen.
- New Take : A new take on this Thanksgiving classic, using shallots, Parmesan, and breadcrumbs. No soup cans in sight. Found at Delish.
- Updated Version with Fresh Ingredients : Made with fresh green beans, Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, unsalted butter, sliced button mushrooms, large shallots, all-purpose flour, half-and-half, chicken stock or broth, soy sauce and canola oil for deep frying. While the casserole is baking, sliced shallots are deep fried in the canola oil. Can substitute broccoli florets for the green beans. From Williams-Sonoma.
- With Fresh Cremini Mushrooms : Ingredients include dried wild mushrooms, diced cremini or white button mushrooms, unsalted butter, all-purpose flour, low sodium chicken stock, whole milk, Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, shallots (sliced into thin rings) and vegetable oil for frying. From Kitchen Konfidence.