25 Green Tomato Recipes To Try
Posted By Tipnut On July 30, 2009 @ 1:10 pm In Recipes | 6 Comments
What to do with all those green tomatoes from this year’s harvest? Here are over two dozen recipes to try! I chose traditional favorites like making them fried (including a lightened-up version), chutneys, relishes, salsas, jams, pickles (many can be canned or frozen). I also found a few interesting twists, try a freshly baked loaf of bread, a homemade soup and a spaghetti sauce. I’ve handpicked these from around the ‘net and they each promise to please. Plenty of ideas to inspire you, enjoy!
Have A Bounty of Green Tomatoes In This Year's Harvest? Here Are A Bunch Of Tasty Ideas To Use Them Up
- Simple Fried Recipe : Simple to make yet nice ‘n crunchy & flavorful. Made with sliced tomatoes, an egg wash (egg and water), panko bread crumbs and seasoning (for breading) and oil for cooking. Takes just a couple minutes per side to cook. Serve with Ranch dressing. From Katrina Runs For Food.
- Southern Fried : Made with flour, corn meal, seasoning, milk for dredging and oil for frying. From Southern Plate.
- Fried – Lightened Up : (fewer calories and carbs) Made with low-fat buttermilk, egg white, hot sauce, cornmeal, salt and canola oil. From Paula Deen.
- Pickles : Makes about 6 pints and you’ll need about 40 small green tomatoes for this recipe. Other ingredients include sliced onions, sugar, white vinegar, celery seed, bay leaf, ground mustard, mustard seed, whole cloves, allspice seeds and salt. From Mac & Cheese.
- Italian Farmhouse Pickles : Makes about 3 cups (can be doubled easily) and you’ll need about a pound of green tomatoes. Ingredients include salt, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic cloves, minced fresh hot red chile, chopped mint leaves, basil leaves, white wine vinegar and fruity extra-virgin olive oil. From The Splendid Table.
- Relish : Makes 9 to 10 cups, can be canned or frozen. Made with vidalia onions, orange marmalade, brown sugar, cider vinegar, red pepper flakes. From The Atlantic.
- Relish (Chow Chow) : (canning recipe) Ingredients include seeded green bell peppers, yellow onions, red bell pepper, yellow mustard seed, celery seed, cider vinegar, granulated sugar and Kosher salt. From Mommy’s Kitchen.
- Salsa : Made with both green and red tomatoes, yields 3 1/2 cups. Ingredients include fresh corn kernels, fresh chives, fresh lemon juice, salt and coarsely ground black pepper. From Delish.
- Salsa : Ingredients include a variety of peppers, red onion (chopped finely), garlic cloves, cilantro, parsley, lime juice, Ume Plum Vinegar, salt and ground pepper (to taste), agave or stevia (to taste). From Eat Drink Better.
- Salsa Verde : Makes 1 quart that can be refrigerated or frozen (easily doubled or tripled). Ingredients include yellow onion, green Anaheim chili pepper, green jalapeno chilies or serrano chilies, garlic cloves, sea salt, ground cumin, olive oil, water, fresh lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, honey or sugar and cilantro leaves. From Modern Comfort Food.
- Chutney : (canning recipe) Made with apples, brown sugar, malt vinegar, root ginger, red chilis, raisins, shallots and salt. From Margeland.co.uk.
- Chutney : (Makes 4 lb jars) Made with chopped onions, apples, sultanas (or raisins, cranberries, dried apricots, etc.), brown sugar, vinegar spiced or malt, mustard seed, fresh ginger (or ground ginger) and cinnamon. From Green Forks.
- Green Tomato Chutney : (canning) Ingredients include shallots, Craisins (dried cranberries), ground ginger, allspice, salt, pepper, fresh ginger, garlic cloves, sugar and red wine vinegar. From My Tiny Plot.
- Gooey Mincemeat : (canning recipe) Made with currants (or raisins), chopped tart apples, lemons, minced onions, garlic, honey, vinegar, water, mustard seed, cayenne pepper and ground ginger. From A Way to Garden.
- Mincemeat : (canned) Made with raisins, currants, apple cider vinegar, oranges (including peels), lemon, cinnamon stick, whole cloves and molasses. From Mother Earth News.
- Mince Filling : (can be frozen) Made with chopped, peeled apples, light brown sugar, cider vinegar, golden raisins, cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg, ground ginger, salt and freshly ground black pepper. From The Cottage Smallholder.
- Jam : You’ll need 4 pounds of green tomatoes, superfine sugar, juice (and zest) of lemons. Can be canned for storage or kept refrigerated. From Seattle Bon Vivant.
- Jam with Ginger & Vanilla : Makes about 4 (11-oz) jars. Ingredients include sugar, chunks of ginger, vanilla bean and fresh lemon juice. From Edible Adventures.
- Marmalade with Lemon : Yields 1 3/4 cups. Ingredients: thinly sliced lemon, sugar, fresh lemon juice and salt. Keep stored in the refrigerator. From The New York Times.
- Marmalade : Makes 5 to 6 jars (250 mL). Ingredients include oranges, lemon, water, green tomatoes (4 pounds), sugar and crystallized ginger. From Christie’s Corner.
- Bread Recipe : Ingredients: canola oil, nonfat yogurt (plain), eggs, sugar, Splenda, pureed green tomatoes, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground nutmeg, salt and ground cloves. From Cooking With Michele.
- Homemade Soup : Makes 4 to 6 servings. Ingredients: extra-virgin olive oil, Black Forest ham, scallions, chopped garlic, California bay leaf (or Turkish), low-sodium chicken broth, water, salt and black pepper. From Epicurious.
- Spaghetti Sauce : Makes 4 servings. Ingredients: thick-cut bacon, extra-virgin olive oil, minced garlic, cored green tomatoes (diced), salt, crushed red pepper flakes, dry white wine, minced pepperoncini, cappelini pasta, freshly grated pecorino Romano cheese, fresh Italian parsley, ground black pepper. From Oregon Live.
- Casserole with Beef : Ingredients: white pearl onions, beef stew meat (2″ chunks), all-purpose flour, vegetable or canola oil, green bell peppers, celery, chopped garlic, dried thyme (or fresh), tomato paste, dry white wine, beef broth, bay leaves. From Chow.
- Grilled Green Tomatoes Caprese : Ingredients include olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, brown sugar, salt, sliced fresh mozzarella cheese, Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper and fresh basil. From My Recipes.
Do you have more green tomatoes on hand than you know what to do with? Check out How To Ripen Tomatoes: Tips & Tricks . Plenty of ripe tomatoes on hand? Try these making salsa  or preserving them dried, see How To Make Sun Dried/Oven Dried Tomatoes .
Article printed from TipNut.com: http://tipnut.com
URL to article: http://tipnut.com/green-tomato-recipes/
URLs in this post:
 Simple Fried Recipe: http://www.katrina-runs.com/fried-green-tomato
 Southern Fried: http://www.southernplate.com/2008/07/fried-green-tomatoes.html
 Fried – Lightened Up: http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/bobbys_fried_green_tomatoes/
 Pickles: http://macandcheesereview.blogspot.com/2006/11/green-tomato-pickle.html
 Italian Farmhouse Pickles: http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/italian-farmhouse-green-tomato-pickle
 Relish: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/print/2009/07/how-to-eat-summer-food-all-year/21999/
 Relish (Chow Chow): http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2009/07/tomatoes-tomatoes-everywhere-lets-make.html
 Salsa: http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/green-tomato-salsa
 Salsa: http://eatdrinkbetter.com/2008/10/21/green-divas-guide-to-delicious-living-green-tomato-salsa/
 Salsa Verde: http://moderncomfortfood.com/2010/09/green-tomato-salsa-verde/
 Chutney: http://margeland.co.uk/blog/2008/09/17/green-tomato-chutney/
 Chutney: http://greenforks.com/2008/09/green-tomatoes-and-green-tomato-chutney/
 Green Tomato Chutney: http://mytinyplot.com/recipes/green-tomato-chutney/
 Gooey Mincemeat: http://awaytogarden.com/applesgreen-tomatoesgooey-mincemeat
 Mincemeat: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1977-09-01/Green-Tomato-Mincemeat.aspx
 Mince Filling: http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/rozanne-halls-green-tomato-mince-filling-and-crumb-topping-recipes-482/
 Jam: http://seattlebonvivant.typepad.com/seattle_bon_vivant/2005/10/green_tomato_ja.html
 Jam with Ginger & Vanilla: http://rosajackson.blogspot.com/2007/11/green-tomato-jam-with-ginger-and.html
 Marmalade with Lemon: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/22/dining/227arex.html?_r=2&
 Marmalade: http://christiescorner.com/2009/10/02/green-tomato-marmalade/
 Bread Recipe: http://cookingwithmichele.com/2009/06/green-tomato-bread/
 Homemade Soup: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Green-Tomato-Soup-230446
 Spaghetti Sauce: http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2008/06/recipe_detail.html?id=6363
 Casserole with Beef: http://www.chow.com/recipes/10885-beef-and-green-tomato-casserole
 Grilled Green Tomatoes Caprese: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-green-tomatoes-caprese-50400000113392/
 How To Ripen Tomatoes: Tips & Tricks: http://tipnut.com/ripen-tomatoes/
 making salsa: http://tipnut.com/homemade-salsa/
 How To Make Sun Dried/Oven Dried Tomatoes: http://tipnut.com/sun-dried-tomatoes/
Click here to print.