Here’s an assorted bunch of ideas for decorating coat hangers (these make great homemade gifts). You’ll find ideas for covering both wooden and wire varieties with some sewn, some padded, some crocheted and other crafty methods used. I’ve also tucked two vintage treats at the bottom (one that includes pockets). Enjoy!
Decorative Shell Stitch : (wooden) This features a pretty crochet stitch with a contrasting color along the edges.
Colorful : (wire) Wrapped with bits of fabric, bias tape or ribbon.
Faux Vintage : (wooden) Design of your choice is transferred to the base using Mod Podge and cardstock.
With Flowers : (wooden) Crocheted and features a garland of wee flowers along the bottom edge.
Wrapped : 1 1/2″ strips of fabric are tightly wrapped around the piece until it’s padded nicely.
Snowball : (knit) Worked in a ball of Snowball yarn and can be trimmed with flowers or ribbon if you like.
Below are two different vintage goodies, one for a bias-trimmed slipcover and the other has pockets (for holding gloves, handkerchiefs and whatever else you like).
- 1/4 yd. percale or chintz
- 2 yds. percale bias trim in contrasting color
- Lay hanger flat on a piece of wrapping paper. Trace around top edge. At sides, draw straight vertical lines, 5″ deep. Connect vertical lines by a horizontal line. Cut out template, making a slight curve at point where wire hook occurs.
- Fabric: 2 pieces from paper template. Allow 1/4″ all around edges for seam allowance.
- On one piece bind curve for wire hook with bias trim.
- On each piece bind straight (lower) edge.
- Place pieces wrong sides together and join by binding around sides and top edge.
Source: The New Encyclopedia of Modern Sewing (1946)
Here’s one with pockets…
1/2 yard Quilted Cotton
1/2 yard Satin Ribbon (1″ wide)
Bias Binding, double fold, of contrasting color
Clark’s “Anchor” Six Cord 80 yards Sewing Thread
1 piece – 11″ x 16″
2 pieces – 5 1/2″ x 16″
- Bind one long edge of each 5 1/2″ x 16″ piece with bias trim.
- Place one 5 1/2″ x 16″ piece against 11″ x 16″ piece (right sides together), matching long sides and raw edges.
- To shape top, lay a coat hanger against long edge, draw a curve to correspond and cut.
- Baste pieces together.
- Baste other 5 1/2″ x 16″ piece on 11″ x 16″ piece (right sides together) so that the bound edges meet.
- Stitch around outside edge, leaving a 1/4″ opening at center top. Turn to right side.
- Divide bottom section into 3 sections and stitch along markings through both thicknesses.
- Buttonhole stitch around opening at top center.
- Insert hanger in case and tie ribbon into a bow at top.
Source: Easy-To-Sew Toys And Gifts, The Canadian Spool Cotton Company (1945)