There is always room for improvement or clarification when sharing information, I do the best I can but Tipnut readers are smart cookies and have lots to add–whether it’s sharing a tip of their own, helping to answer another reader’s questions, or pointing out an error and asking for clarification.
It’s easy to add your tips or help another person on Tipnut by leaving a comment, but there are a few guidelines to keep in mind so that the comments area stays useful, productive and a pleasant place to browse through.
In this section you will learn:
- How to personalize your comments with a gravatar
- Email addresses and privacy are respected on Tipnut.com
- Why comments are moderated
- Reasons why a comment may not appear
How To Personalize Your Comments
- Add A Picture: You can customize the picture that displays by your name on the discussion page by creating a free account at gravatar.com. The neat thing about this service is that it will work for every website that has gravatars enabled (not just on Tipnut). Note: Gravatars are displayed only on the latest comments page and no longer displayed in the actual comments area due to site speed/page loading issues.
- Why No Links?: Unfortunately I had to remove this option (from the name field) because of the bad guys…after comments were approved they would forward their linked website to (adult) content and other nefarious sites. I won’t have readers clicking through a link on Tipnut and being exposed to that so I removed that option. Links are not allowed in the comment body either because of spamming issues.
Why Comments Are Moderated
I setup full moderation after I had to use my break time at work to run home and delete several comments that left offensive adult material in the comments area (we’re not allowed to use the internet at work to manage our blogs). I don’t know why people think it’s a great idea to spam sites with those kinds of comments, but I had to do something to prevent that from happening and the spam filters weren’t able to stop everything.
Common Reasons Why A Comment Doesn’t Appear
Keep in mind that comment guidelines will evolve over time as problems develop…if you see a comment that broke one of the guidelines below, it’s likely an old comment that passed through before the guidelines were in place.
- If you included a link in the comment area, these are filtered automatically to be deleted. The amount of comment spam I received daily left me no choice.
- Names can be your site name (like Tipnut for example), but not the domain–Tipnut.com–(for the reasons outlined above).
- Please don’t leave your email address in the comments area asking me or a reader to email you back, I delete these since I have no way of knowing that it is your email address or a mean spirited person leaving someone else’s email address.
- If a comment is abusive towards another commenter or myself, it won’t be allowed on the blog. Snark can be fun and even witty at times, but tipnut.com is not the place for it. There are all kinds of ways to be informative or make corrections in a positive manner without attacking someone or being mean, please try.
You didn’t see your comment appear right after you posted it and it didn’t contain any of the above issues? Remember that I moderate them by reviewing each comment one by one. If I happen to be logged in at the time you leave your comment, you should see it on the site within a few minutes. Sometimes though it can be a few hours (I sleep and even hang out with my family sometimes! lol).
It could also be that your comment was flagged as spam for some reason (even if it wasn’t–software isn’t 100% perfect at their jobs yet). I do try to quickly skim the spam comments to catch any that are in there by mistake, but I get loads of them daily so I may have missed yours. It could also be a problem with the connection, maybe your comment fell into no man’s land and didn’t make it to the moderation area.
You don’t need to create an account to start pitching in and leaving your tips–all that’s required is a name and email address…have fun!