10 Home Remedies For Dandruff
Here is my collection of remedies for dandruff, be careful to not get any of the solutions in your eyes since I’m sure it would sting a bit (just like with commercial products).
If your scalp has a cut or broken skin, wait till that is fully healed so you won’t experience any stinging.
Note: Be aware that it’s possible a treatment may strip dyed color or affect light colors such as blonde or gray, I have no way to test this to know for sure. You could test a patch underneath at the back if you want to make sure there will be no problems.
- White Household Vinegar: Before applying shampoo, do a rinse with this. Let it sit for a minute or two before washing away then proceed as normal. Do this every time you shower. You could also try this in reverse by giving yourself the rinse last.
- Listerine (Original): Mix two parts of water to 1 part of Listerine. Working with a wet head, spritz the mixture all over really well so every inch is covered. Allow to sit for 30 minutes then wash off. Do this every other day for one week then repeat as necessary.
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV): Mix 50/50 ACV with water. Thoroughly wet your head, pat down, then spray the ACV mix all over. Allow to sit for about 40 minutes, wash out, shampoo as normal.
- Tea Tree Oil: Pour 1 TBS Tea Tree Oil with 1 cup of warm water (use distilled if you plan on making a big batch) in a squirt bottle, shake until well mixed. After shampooing and conditioning, spray a generous amount of the mixture all over, massage and let sit for a couple minutes. Pat the excess moisture out but don’t wash out.
- Rosemary Tea: Brew a pot of tea and steep for 24 hours with 3 or 4 sprigs of fresh Rosemary. Strain and pour into a squirt bottle and use as a rinse. *Dark hair only
- Peppermint Tea: Same as the Rosemary Tea method but use a handful of fresh peppermint leaves instead of the Rosemary sprigs. *Dark hair only
- Peppermint Cider: Boil 1 cup of water then add to 1 cup of ACV and a handful of fresh peppermint leaves. Steep for 2 hours, strain and pour into a squirt bottle. Apply after shampooing, massage scalp with mixture and leave in.
- Aspirin: Finely crush 3 tablets of Aspirin then dissolve in a spray bottle of hot water, allow to cool. Apply (all over) then wash as normal. Shake before each use.
- Lavender Infusion: Used as a rinse, also adds shine. Dilute first and use 1 part infusion to 8 part water ratio. Click the link to find recipes and info.
Tip: If you discover a successful treatment for your situation, make sure to keep all hair tools clean to help prevent a recurrence. Regularly soak combs and picks in a jar of Listerine or household vinegar and spray brushes with same.
Here’s a simple Anti-Dandruff recipe you can try, this can be used daily to help control itching and flaking (source: davidsuzuki.org)…
- Mix together 2 cups water, 1/2 cup ACV, 5 drops tea tree EO, 5 drops rosemary EO. Massage into scalp, let it sit for a few minutes before washing out. Store in a squirt bottle and shake before using. You can adjust the amount of EO added (if you find it too strong).