Frugal tip: Don’t toss out your bread once it’s no longer fresh, homemade croutons are yummy! Here’s a quick and easy method to make them along with a herbed recipe at the bottom…
- Cut bread into large cubes or break into pieces
- Crush garlic and mix with olive oil, brush on cubes (or put cubes in a bowl and toss with oil until evenly coated)
- Brown in oven at 400° F. Watch till they are golden brown, then remove from oven.
More Toppings To Try:
- Parmesan cheese (!)
- Dry parsley
- Dry ranch dressing mix
- Onion salt
You can also use melted butter rather than olive oil.
Get crazy: Any bread will do and buns too! Use up hot dog buns, french & italian breads, even the pumpernickel will work.
Herb & Garlic Version:
3 cups dried bread cubes (about 1/2″ cubes)
3 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 TBS butter
2 to 3 garlic cloves (minced)
1 tsp chopped parsley (fresh)
1 tsp chopped chives (fresh)
1 tsp chopped tarragon (fresh)
- In a large skillet heat the butter and oil (medium/high heat).
- Toss in the bread cubes and cook, stirring frequently for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium/low and add the fresh garlic and herbs.
- Cook for another 20 minutes, stirring and tossing frequently.
- Remove from heat and cool. Store in an airtight container.