Make Your Own Ketchup? Sure!
Posted By Tipnut On April 27, 2011 @ 11:18 am In Canning, Freezing & Preserving,Recipes | 1 Comment
Knowing how convenient it is to pick up gallons of ketchup at the grocery store, making your own may not be high on your priority list…but consider this: homemade versions can use much less sugar and salt than commercially prepared and you can jazz it up just as you like with various spices, chiles and other flavors. You can make large batches at a time to process in canning jars (for long term storage) or keep it simple by making a jar at a time (and keep refrigerated).
This Recipe Hit List is a collection of nearly 20 different recipes that I’ve handpicked from around the net, a few are for canning, many are for single batches, some use tomatoes picked fresh from the garden while others use canned varieties. Lots to choose from in this list so there should be something for everyone, enjoy!
Try Adding Flavor With Assorted Vegetables & Spices
Quick Tip: For thicker sauce, cook longer…thinner, cook less.
- Spicy : (Yields about 1 1/2 cups) Ingredients include canned plum tomatoes, olive oil, chopped onion, jalapeno pepper, garlic clove, dark-brown sugar, whole cloves, ground mace, whole cardamom seeds, whole black peppercorns, whole star anise, dried bay leaf, small cinnamon stick, dry mustard, cider vinegar, cayenne pepper, freshly squeezed lime juice, salt. From Martha Stewart.
- Ketchup/Catsup : Ingredients include a cinnamon stick, bay leaf, whole cloves, cardamom pods, star anise, black peppercorns, canned whole tomatoes, yellow onion, vegetable oil, Kosher salt, packed brown sugar, champagne vinegar, Hungarian paprika, freshly ground black pepper. From Life According To Celia.
- Crockpot : (Yields about 4 cups) Ingredients include canned organic tomato puree, chopped onion, apple cider vinegar, organic brown rice syrup, ground allspice, ground cinnamon, ground mace, ground ginger, ground cloves, ground red pepper, Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper. From Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free.
- With Jalapeno : Ingredients include fresh tomatoes, sliced onions, jalapeno pepper, brown sugar, cider vinegar, dry mustard, cinnamon stick, whole allspice, whole cloves, ground mace, celery seeds, black peppercorns, bay leaf, garlic clove, cayenne, salt. From The Paupered Chef.
- Delectable : (Yields approximately 2 cups) Ingredients include whole cloves, whole allspice, celery seed, chile flakes, cinnamon stick, canned whole tomatoes, chopped onion, garlic clove, jalapeno (seeded & chopped), Kosher salt, white vinegar, brown sugar. From Brooklyn Farmhouse.
- With Chopped Anaheim Chile : (yields about 2 cups) Ingredients include whole cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, celery seeds, red pepper flakes, whole allspice, fresh tomatoes, Kosher salt, white vinegar, brown sugar, chopped onion, chopped anaheim chile, garlic. From Kiss My Spatula.
- Sweet : (Yields approximately 2 pints) Ingredients include fresh, ripe tomatoes, sugar, white wine vinegar, sea salt, garlic, ginger, dried red chiles, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, juice & zest of lime. From Tigress In A Pickle.
- From Seasonal Ontario Food : (Yields about 4 or 5 pints) Ingredients include fresh Roma tomatoes, pickling salt, mild red peppers, minced shallots, garlic, apple cider vinegar, Sucanat, celery seed, sweet Hungarian paprika, hot Spanish paprika, ground ginger, black peppercorns, allspice berries.
- From Sustainable Pantry Cooking Blog : (For canning – Yields 2 1/2 Pint Jars) Ingredients include celery seeds, whole cloves, allspice, apple cider vinegar, fresh tomatoes, chopped onions, garlic cloves, cayenne pepper, sugar, salt.
- From Epicurious : (Yields about 1 1/2 cups) Ingredients include chopped onions, garlic cloves, canned whole tomatoes, sugar, cider vinegar, whole cloves, crushed allspice, cinnamon stick, celery seed, dry mustard, paprika, Tabasco to taste.
- From Jamie Oliver : (canning recipe) Ingredients include red onion, fennel bulb, celery stick, olive oil, fresh ginger, garlic cloves, fresh red chili, fresh basil, coriander seeds, cloves, freshly ground black pepper, sea salt, cherry or plum tomatoes plus canned tomatoes or chopped yellow, orange or green tomatoes, red wine vinegar, soft brown sugar. Found at Food Network.
- From Chubby Hubby : Yields about a pint. Ingredients include fresh tomatoes, chopped onions, garlic cloves, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, cloves, salt, Chinese five-spice, ground ginger, cayenne pepper, icing sugar.
- Chipotle : Yields about a pint. Ingredients include diced sweet onion, olive oil, canned whole tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon, ground cloves, celery seeds, chipotle peppers, salt to taste. From Homesick Texan.
- From Spoonful : (for canning, yields 3 pints) Ingredients include fresh tomatoes, chopped onion, chopped sweet red pepper, celery seed, whole allspice, mustard seed, cinnamon, sugar, salt, paprika, vinegar.
- From Health, Home, & Happiness : Ingredients include bottled tomato juice, salt and pepper, garlic cloves (optional), honey to taste.
- From The Healthy Apple : Ingredients include stevia, canned organic tomato paste, fresh Roma tomatoes, dried oregano, freshly squeezed lemon juice, dried cilantro, curry powder, brown rice miso paste, white balsamic vinegar, nutritional yeast, flax seeds, sea salt and pepper to taste.
- From Williams-Sonoma : Makes about 1 1/2 cups. Ingredients include whole peeled tomatoes, chopped yellow onion, cider vinegar, corn syrup, cayenne pepper, dry mustard, ground allspice, ground ginger, ground celery seed, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, salt and pepper.
- Sweet & Spicy : Makes about 1 1/4 cups. Ingredients include extra-virgin olive oil, chopped onion, minced garlic, light brown sugar, smoked paprika, ground allspice, ground cloves, white vinegar, tomato paste, canned tomato sauce, salt & pepper. From Food & Wine.
Article printed from TipNut.com: http://tipnut.com
URL to article: http://tipnut.com/homemade-ketchup/
URLs in this post:
 Spicy: http://www.marthastewart.com/350451/homemade-spicy-ketchup
 Ketchup/Catsup: http://www.lifeaccordingtocelia.com/2010/05/sunday-recipe-homemade-ketchup-or.html
 Crockpot: http://simplysugarandglutenfree.com/homemade-sugar-free-ketchup-recipe-slightly-indulgent-mondays/
 With Jalapeno: http://thepauperedchef.com/2009/09/homemade-ketchup-and-french-fries.html
 Delectable: http://www.brooklynfarmhouse.com/2009/02/10/homemade-ketchup/
 With Chopped Anaheim Chile: http://kissmyspatula.com/2009/05/31/homemade-ketchup/
 Sweet: http://tigressinapickle.blogspot.com/2010/09/sweet-tomato-ketchup.html
 From Seasonal Ontario Food: http://seasonalontariofood.blogspot.com/2007/09/canning-tomato-ketchup-or-catsup.html
 From Sustainable Pantry Cooking Blog: http://sustainablepantry.com/2010/08/20/august-can-jam-homemade-ketchup/
 From Epicurious: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Homemade-Tomato-Ketchup-12260
 From Jamie Oliver: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/homemade-tomato-ketchup-recipe/index.html
 From Chubby Hubby: http://chubbyhubby.net/recipes/sauce-from-scratch/
 Chipotle: http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2009/04/chipotle-ketchup-changes-everything.html
 From Spoonful: http://www.spoonfulblog.com/2007/07/ketchup-and-relish-why-not.html
 From Health, Home, & Happiness: http://www.healthhomehappy.com/2010/01/easy-homemade-ketchup.html
 From The Healthy Apple: http://thehealthyapple.com/2010/01/27/homemade-ketchup/
 From Williams-Sonoma: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/homemade-ketchup.html
 Sweet & Spicy: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sweet-and-spicy-ketchup
Click here to print.