Whether it’s restaurant-made or homemade, the sauce and dough can make or break a pizza. Too spicy? Too bland? Too thin? No matter how good the toppings, a mediocre base will turn out a mediocre product.
The good news is that you can make a pizza from scratch that will perfectly suit your taste buds! Although it will take more time to simmer a batch of sauce with your favorite blend of herbs and spices (when compared to cracking open a jar or can), chances are you won’t settle for anything less once you find that perfect combination.
Here’s a whopper of a collection of recipes and tutorials that I’ve handpicked around the net showing you how to make that perfect pie.
No matter what you’re in the mood for tonight, you should find something in this list that will hit the spot. Enjoy!
First, here are the sauces…
- With Red Pepper Flakes : Made with diced or crushed tomatoes (canned), olive oil, dried basil, fresh oregano (or dried), red pepper flakes, salt and minced garlic. Simmered for approximately 20 minutes. From Two Tarts.
- Thick & Rich : Can also be used for subs and dipping breadsticks. Ingredients: olive oil, minced garlic, crushed tomatoes (canned), tomato paste, sugar, salt, basil, dried oregano, fresh cracked pepper and crushed red pepper (optional). From Budget Bytes.
- Easy & Tasty : Ingredients: Tomato paste, hot water, grated Parmesan, minced garlic, honey, onion powder, dried oregano, dried marjoram, basil, black pepper, cayenne, dried red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt. From I Adore Food.
- Roasted Tomato : (scroll down page) Ingredients: Cherry tomatoes, garlic cloves, tomato passata, thyme spiced olive oil, garlic-chili spiced olive oil, red onion (coarsely chopped), fresh or dried thyme, salt and pepper. From What’s For Lunch Honey?
- Crockpot : Makes a big batch that can be frozen in small bags. Cooks on low for about 4 hours to really let the flavors infuse. Ingredients: Tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, olive oil, honey, grated Parmesan, salt and pepper. From Stacy Makes Cents.
- Slow Cooker : Yields about 6 cups which can be frozen. Made with canned tomato sauce and paste, water, minced garlic, dried oregano, dried basil, dried parsley flakes, extra virgin olive oil, anchovy fillet, raw sugar (or granulated), freshly grated Parmesan, Romano or Asiago cheese (or a blend), salt and freshly ground pepper. Simmers for four hours. From Foodie with Family.
- Perfect : Makes 1 cup. Ingredients: canned tomato sauce, tomato paste, finely minced garlic, dried basil, fennel seed, dried oregano, crushed red pepper, Kosher salt, cayenne pepper, granulated sugar and allspice. Simmers for about 20 minutes. From Life’s Ambrosia.
- White : (scroll down page) Makes enough for 2 pies, ingredients: Butter, flour, milk, salt, pepper, minced garlic, fresh basil and parmigiano-greggiano cheese (shredded). From Pete Bakes!
- Zesty Old School Style : Makes enough to cover three medium or two large pies. Ingredients: Tomato sauce, tomato paste, dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder, onion powder, ground sweet paprika, sugar, salt, fresh cracked pepper, olive oil and white vinegar. From The Cooking Photographer.
- Quick : Can be refrigerated for up to a week and can be frozen, makes just over 2 cups. Ingredients: Olive oil, garlic cloves, fresh basil, canned plum tomatoes (whole), sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. From Jamie Oliver.
- Garden Fresh : Uses fresh tomatoes and simmers for hours, makes about 5 cups and can be frozen for up to 6 months. Ingredients: Fresh tomatoes, extra-virgin olive oil, chopped onions, minced garlic, basil (fresh or dried), thyme (fresh or dried), oregano (fresh or dried), salt, freshly ground pepper, sugar (optional) and tomato paste. Simmers in a dutch oven for about 2 hours. From Eating Well.
Here are a few variations for making dough from scratch…
- Jeff Varasano’s : Here’s a page that’s loaded with detailed information outlining one man’s quest to make the perfect pizza.
- Best : Promises to be light, fluffy and exactly right. Ingredients: warm water, all-purpose flour, instant yeast, honey, olive oil and salt. Needs to rise for two hours. From Kayotic Kitchen.
- Freezeable : Made with flour, active dry yeast, salt, warm water, olive oil and cornmeal (for sprinkling). Needs to rest for 20 to 30 minutes before using (or freezing). From Sweet Treats & Good Eats.
- Pumpkin : Hmmm, interesting! Dry active yeast, brown sugar, lukewarm water, butter, salt, bread flour, pumpkin puree. Needs to rise for one hour, can be frozen. From Eats Well With Others.
- Basic Whole Wheat : Makes one 16″, two 12″, four 8″ or eight 4″ pies. Ingredients: Sugar, warm water, active dry yeast, hard white whole wheat flour, whole wheat flour, salt and extra-virgin olive oil. Needs to rise for about 90 minutes. Can be frozen for up to 4 months. From The Daily Green.
- No-Knead Olive Oil : Easy to make flatbread version, makes a larger batch but can be refrigerated for up to 12 days. Ingredients: lukewarm water, granulated yeast, Kosher salt, sugar, extra virgin olive oil and unbleached all-purpose flour. From My Baking Addiction.
- Easy Bread Machine Version : Made with water, olive oil, sugar, salt, bread flour, instant yeast, olive oil and coarse yellow corn meal (for sprinkling on pan/stone). Total rising time is just under 2 1/2 hours. From Andrea’s Recipes.
- Overnight Thin Crust : Refrigerates overnight or up to 48 hours (though you can tweak it it use the same day). Unbleached all-purpose flour, instant yeast, honey, table salt, water, olive oil. From Cookography.
- Copycat Crust : (bread machine) Water, sugar, salt, olive oil, cornmeal, unbleached all-purpose flour, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder and bread machine yeast. From Edible Moments.
- 10 Minute No-Rise : Makes four 9″ pies. Olive oil, sugar, rapid-rise or instant yeast, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour (can substitute with all-purpose flour), grated Parmesan cheese and sea salt. From The Faux Martha.
Lots of different topping ideas in this bunch…
- 4 Square Family Style : Make four different versions on one sheet of crust, BBQ Chicken (1 square), Margherita (1 square), Hawaiian (1 square) and Pepperoni (1 square). From Pillsbury.
- BLT : Baked in a cast iron skillet (optional), mozzarella, whole romaine heart (shredded), Canadian bacon, sliced tomatoes, shredded colby jack cheese and ranch dressing for dipping. From What’s Cookin’ Chicago.
- Turkey Sausage with Orange Peppers & Arugula : Three-cheese blend, chopped garlic, bell pepper slices, turkey sausage and arugula. From Whole Living.
- Grilled with Hot Sausage, Peppers, Onions & Oregano Ricotta : Yum! Italian hot sausage, thick slices of red onion, grilled peppers (yellow and red), grated fontina cheese, sheep’s milk ricotta, chopped fresh oregano and Basil Vinaigrette. From Food Network.
- Bacon, Egg & Asparagus : Grated cheese (mozzarella and asiago), thick strips of bacon, asparagus spears and 1 or 2 eggs. From Michael Ruhlman.
- Deep Dish : Made with ground beef, Italian sauce, chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, Parmesan, mozzarella, fresh oregano and seasonings. From Southern Plate.
- Breakfast : Try bacon, eggs, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil and sliced tomatoes. From Garlic Girl.
- Caramelized Onions, Figs, Bacon and Blue Cheese : Serves 2, ingredients include Spanish onion, fresh thyme leaves, bay leaves, thick slices of bacon, dried mission figs, crumbled Gorgonzola, extra-virgin olive oil and freshly cracked black pepper. From The New York Times.
- Roasted Garlic & Spinach White : Garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, bacon, frozen spinach (thawed), salt and pepper, ricotta and mozzarella. From Rachael Ray.
- Steak & Blue Cheese : Sliced onion, mushrooms, boneless sirloin steak (trimmed), coarsely round black pepper, low-fat mayonnaise, prepared horseradish and crumbled blue cheese. From MyRecipes.
- Grilled Southwestern : Extra-virgin olive oil, garlic cloves, crumbled ricotta salata cheese, ear of corn (roasted & kernels removed), small red bell pepper, chorizo sausage and fresh cilantro leaves. From Williams-Sonoma.
- Grilled Asparagus & Prosciutto : Extra-virgin olive oil, garlic cloves, fresh mozzarella cheese, asparagus spears (blanched), thinly sliced red onion, thinly sliced prosciutto and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. From Williams-Sonoma.
- Pepperoni & Italian Sausage : (grilled) Pepperoni slices, browned Italian sausage, fresh basil leaves (torn), mozzarella and extra virgin olive oil. From Cooking With Michele.
- Deep Dish : Two versions provided, one for Pepperoni & Onion while the other is Spinach & Artichoke. From Martha Stewart.
- White With Clams & Pancetta : Olive oil, thinly sliced garlic cloves, semolina flour, salt, freshly ground pepper, chopped fresh rosemary, chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, fresh mozzarella, pancetta and littleneck or steamer clams. From Williams-Sonoma.
- Bacon Cheeseburger : Lean ground beef, shredded cheddar, shredded mozza, crisp & crumbled bacon, dill pickles (on the side). From Land O’Lakes.
- Onion, Prosciutto & Mozzarella : Thinly sliced red onion, fresh mozzarella and thin prosciutto slices. From Williams-Sonoma.
- Sweet Potato, Balsamic, Onion & Soppressata : Unsalted butter, extra-virgin olive oil, thinly sliced white onion, oregano, balsamic vinegar, Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, mashed sweet potatoes, shredded mozza and thinly sliced soppressata. From Food & Wine.
- Roasted Fennel & Sausage : Thinly sliced fennel, good quality Italian sausage and fresh mozzarella (sliced). From A Sweet Pea Chef.
- BBQ Chicken : Cooked and shredded chicken, barbecue sauce, sliced red onion, diced orange bell pepper, shredded Monterey Jack and chopped cilantro (to taste). From My Baking Addiction.
- Garlic Chicken : Red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, shredded & cooked chicken breast, chopped plum tomato, chopped mushrooms, shredded part-skim mozzarella, crumbled feta, shredded Parmesan and chopped green onions. From MyRecipes.
- Chicken Basil : Strips of grilled chicken, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella and seasonings. From Sarah’s Cucina Bella.
Vegetables & Cheese:
- Crackerbread : A light crisp crust made from scratch and topped with asagio cheese, diced mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, salt and pepper to taste. From Cheeky Kitchen.
- Whole Wheat With Artichokes & Pecorino Cheese : Steamed artichokes, fresh ricotta cheese, thinly sliced plum tomatoes, pitted Kalamata olives (halved), Pecorino Romano cheese and fresh basil leaves. From Whole Living.
- Portobello Pesto : Sliced cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced red onion, pesto (made yourself or store-bought), shredded provolone and grated Parmesan. From Brown Eyed Baker.
- Squash Blossom : Made with squash blossoms and burrata cheese. From Saveur.
- Three Cheese White : Made with thinly sliced garlic, shredded mozza, ricotta, grated Parmesan and dried thyme. From Tracey’s Culinary Adventures.
- Mediterranean : Spinach, onion, oregano, extra-virgin olive oil, Kalamata olives, chopped tomato, garlic, feta cheese and mozzarella. From My Little Kitchen.
- Margherita : Sliced mozza, Parmesan and halved cherry tomatoes. From BBC Good Food.
- Indian Flavored : Paneer Tikka, corn, roasted bell pepper, sliced button mushrooms, small onions, garlic, ghee, chilly flakes, coriander leaves and cheese. From Spicy Chilly.
- Margherita : Includes two different versions, one a classical Margherita and the other is Nectarine and Fresh Ricotta. From Alexandra’s Kitchen.
- Roasted Mushrooms & Shallots : Light chive & onion cream cheese, roasted mushrooms and shallots, reduced-fat Lorraine cheese and fresh oregano leaves. From MyRecipes.
- Bianca : Made with sliced white onion, shredded mozzarella, chopped fresh rosemary leaves. From MyRecipes.
- Asparagus & Mushroom : Cremini mushrooms, salt, dry white wine, heavy cream, chopped fresh tarragon, fresh flat-leaf parsley, asparagus, olive oil and freshly ground black pepper. From Umami Girl.
- Easy : Shredded mozza, grated Parmesan, thinly sliced vegetables (such as red bell pepper, zucchini and mushrooms), olive oil, basil, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper and sliced black olives. From McCormick.
- Mexican : Shredded cheddar, chopped tomato, sliced & pitted olives, chopped mild green chilies, chopped onion, fresh cilantro (or parsley) and salsa. From Land O’Lakes.
- Spinach & Cheese : Makes one 12″ pie, ingredients include fine sea salt, Gruyere cheese (grated), young pecorino cheese, buffalo mozzarella, freshly ground black pepper, garlic, fresh spinach and extra-virgin olive oil (for serving). From Martha Stewart.
- Whole Wheat Greek : Cherry tomatoes, garlic clove, coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, grated haloumi cheese, pine nuts, baby arugula, red-wine vinegar and pitted kalamata olives. From Whole Living.
- Brie & Garlic Scape : Soft brie cheese, garlic scapes, olive oil, sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper. From Love & Olive Oil.
- Zucchini : (cooked on the grill) Sliced zucchini, garlic, dried oregano, crushed red pepper, ricotta cheese, shredded Gruyere, grated Parmesan and fresh basil leaves. From Redbook.