15+ Stuffing Recipes To Try
Posted By Tipnut On October 28, 2010 @ 1:11 pm In Recipes | 2 Comments
When I was growing up we often had an old-fashioned savory stuffing that was cooked right in the turkey (it varied slightly in seasonings depending on who cooked the meal), but I never was a fan. Maybe it was too strong tasting for this kiddo?
Now as an adult I can’t get enough of this side, love it! I’m a little more adventurous with ingredients but cook it right in the bird? Nope, it flops every time for me so I prefer cooking it separately (and we know now this method is a safer bet).
Here’s a wide assortment of recipes that I’ve collected from around the ‘net, featuring simple, old-fashioned favorites along with some more interesting ingredient choices. You’ll find a few healthified versions too (for those looking for tasty low-cal or low-fat options).
- Good Old Country Style : Yields 8 to 10 servings and made with oven-dried white bread, cooked white rice, crushed saltines, bulk breakfast sausage, celery, onion, chicken stock, dried sage leaves, poultry seasoning, beaten eggs, melted butter. From Paula Deen at Food Network.
- Simple : Drying the bread cubes and cooking the vegetables a day in advance helps this come together quickly on Thanksgiving Day. From Martha Stewart.
- Sourdough with Apples and Bacon : Ingredients include onion, celery, leeks, large granny smith apples (peeled and chopped), fresh sage and thyme leaves, poultry seasoning, bacon and chicken stock. From Pinch My Salt.
- Savory Cornbread Version : Made with yellow cornmeal (preferably organic stone ground), all purpose flour or whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, eggs, low-fat yogurt or buttermilk, milk, mild honey and unsalted butter. From The New York Times.
- Vegetable-Herb : Yields 12 cups and is made with sliced firm white bread, olive oil, carrots, celery, onion, fresh parsley leaves, poultry seasoning and chicken broth. Found at Delish.
- Pear, Chestnut, and Sage : This was a finalist in a contest sponsored by Delish and CountryLiving.com.
- Multigrain Bread, Onion, Pecan and Golden Raisin : Ingredients include cubes of multi-grain bread, apple brandy (or apple juice), golden raisins, olive oil, chopped onion, minced garlic, celery, toasted pecan halves, fresh parsley, dried sage and thyme, fennel seeds, chicken broth and an egg. From Butterball.
- Hazelnut, Sage, and Mushroom : Yields 8 servings and is made with firm white bread (such as a Pullman loaf), shallots, unsalted butter, cremini mushrooms, celery, thyme, sage, dry white wine, toasted hazelnuts, flat-leaf parsley, turkey stock and lightly beaten eggs. From Epicurious.
- Apricot & Pecan : Yields 8 to 10 servings and ingredients include sliced leeks, onion, butter, apples, pecans, dried apricots, ground nutmeg, dry whole wheat or white bread cubes, rosemary, thyme, parsley, half-and-half (or light cream), egg, salt and pepper. From Better Homes and Gardens.
- Slow-Cooker Mushroom-Herb : Serves 8, ingredients include butter, onions, celery, mushrooms, parsley, dried sage, poultry seasoning, dried thyme and marjoram, chicken broth, large eggs and whole-wheat bread. From Woman’s Day.
- Savory Pear : Spruce up packaged cornbread mix with Bartlett pears, green onions, and fresh parsley. Found at Redbook.
- Baked Apple-Raisin : Made with onion, celery, butter, diced & peeled tart apple, golden raisins, chicken bouillon granules, rubbed sage, poultry seasoning, chicken broth and cubed day-old bread with the crusts removed. From Taste of Home.
- Brown Bread with Chestnuts, Apples, and Sausage : Ingredients include duck fat (or unsalted butter), pumpernickel or dark rye bread with the crusts removed, wheat bread, sweet Italian sausages, diced yellow onion, sage, thyme, Italian parsley leaves, celery stalks, celery seed (optional), Granny Smith apples, steamed or roasted chestnuts, low-sodium chicken broth. From Chow.
- Rice and Nut : Made with extra virgin olive oil or butter, long-grain brown rice (like basmati), pine nuts or shelled pistachios, raisins or currants (optional), freshly squeezed lemon juice, fresh marjoram or oregano leaves (or dried). From The New York Times.
- With Cornbread : Ingredients include diced cornbread, rustic bread with crust that is diced or torn, unsalted butter, yellow onion, chopped celery, sage, thyme, Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and chicken or turkey stock. From The Food Channel.
- Apple Onion : Made with slices of light bread, chopped Fuji apples, sweet onion, celery, fat-free chicken broth, raisins, parsley, fat-free liquid egg substitute, light whipped butter, minced shallots, garlic, salt and pepper. From Rachael Ray Show.
- Sweet Potato with Bacon and Thyme : Ingredients include cubes of sourdough baguette with crust, thick-cut bacon slices, butter, red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams), onions, celery, thyme, coarse Kosher salt, fresh orange juice, eggs and low-salt chicken broth. From Bon Appetit.
- Cornbread & Sausage : Yields 12 servings (1 cup each), made with sweet Italian turkey sausage, onion, celery, prepared cornbread, parsley, sage and reduced-sodium chicken broth. From Eating Well.
Homemade Stove Top Mix
This recipe comes from an old email group I once belonged to for DIY make-ahead mixes.
6 cups dried Bread Cubes
1 TBS Parsley Flakes
3 TBS powdered Chicken Bouillon
1/4 cup dried Minced Onion
1/2 cup dried Minced Celery
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Sage
1/3 tsp Salt
- Mix all ingredients together well until evenly mixed. Store in an airtight container to store in pantry or seal in ziploc baggies and freeze.
- Bring to a boil 1/2 cup water and 2 TBS butter. Stir in 2 cups of the mix, cover and remove from heat. Sit for approximately 15 minutes (or until stuffing is soft) before serving.
- Do not add Minced Celery or Minced Onion to the mix before storing. Prepare as directed above, then mix in freshly sauteed onion & celery to the cooked stuffing before serving.
Article printed from TipNut.com: http://tipnut.com
URL to article: http://tipnut.com/homemade-stuffing/
URLs in this post:
 Good Old Country Style: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/good-old-country-stuffing-recipe/index.html
 Simple: http://www.marthastewart.com/336888/simple-stuffing
 Sourdough with Apples and Bacon: http://pinchmysalt.com/holiday-recipes-with-a-twist-sourdough-stuffing-with-apples-and-bacon/
 Savory Cornbread Version: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/17/health/nutrition/17recipehealth.html?_r=2
 Vegetable-Herb: http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/vegetable-herb-stuffing-thanksgiving-recipes
 Pear, Chestnut, and Sage: http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/pear-chestnut-sage-dressing-recipe
 Multigrain Bread, Onion, Pecan and Golden Raisin: http://www.butterball.com/recipe/multigrain-bread-onion-pecan-and-golden-raisin-stuffing
 Hazelnut, Sage, and Mushroom: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Hazelnut-Sage-and-Mushroom-Stuffing-240571
 Apricot & Pecan: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/stuffing/apricot-and-pecan-stuffing/
 Slow-Cooker Mushroom-Herb: http://www.womansday.com/recipefinder/slow-cooker-mushroom-herb-bread-stuffing-recipe-121623
 Savory Pear: http://www.redbookmag.com/recipefinder/savory-pear-stuffing-ghk1107
 Baked Apple-Raisin: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Baked-Apple-Raisin-Stuffing
 Brown Bread with Chestnuts, Apples, and Sausage: http://www.chow.com/recipes/10738-brown-bread-stuffing-with-chestnuts-apples-and-sausage
 Rice and Nut: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/15/dining/154mrex.html
 With Cornbread: http://www.foodchannel.com/recipes/recipe/homemade-turkey-stuffing/
 Apple Onion: http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/hungry-girl-apple-onion-stuffing/
 Sweet Potato with Bacon and Thyme: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2009/11/sweet_potato_stuffing_with_bacon_and_thyme
 Cornbread & Sausage: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cornbread_sausage_stuffing.html
Click here to print.