18 Homemade Sugar, Sea Salt & Oatmeal Scrub Recipes
Scrubs are a luxurious way to pamper skin since they exfoliate and moisturize at the same time and will leave skin feeling smooth and soft.
There’s no need to buy expensive stuff, make it yourself for a quick and easy way to have a spa experience right at home. They make great gifts too!
Here’s a bunch of recipes to get started with, I’ve sorted them into separate groups for easier browsing.
First a few tips:
- Mix and store ingredients in glass bowls and jars to prevent reactions with other materials.
- Shelf life is only a couple weeks or so (if kept cool in an airtight container) unless a preservative of some sort is added. You’ll find more information and preservative suggestions here: fromnaturewithlove.com (info on using T-50 Vitamin E Oil, Rosemary Oil Extract, Grapefruit Seed Extract and more).
- Refrigerate any unused portion in a sealed container.
- For something different, try adding a bit of gentle liquid soap to scrubs before using.
- Use a loofah or bristle brush when applying, will give a nice massage while exfoliating.
- When using the salt recipes, some believe that those from the Dead Sea are the most therapeutic since they help relieve pain from arthritis and bring a glow to skin.
Note: Substitutions used in the ingredient lists below:
C = cup
TBS = tablespoon
tsp = teaspoon
G-W-S = Granulated White Sugar
B-S = Brown Sugar
EO = Essential Oil
EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil
|Almond Oil & Vanilla|
1/2 C of B-S
1 C G-W-S
2 C G-W-S
|Lavender & Rosewood|
1 C B-S
3 TBS baby oil
1 C G-W-S
1/4 C packed B-S
|With Powdered Milk|
1 C B-S
To make: Mix the dry ingredients first then pour the EVOO slowly, stirring the whole time. After it’s at the desired consistency, mix in the essential oils. This was sent in by Charlotte, thanks!
|For Hands & Dry Trouble Spots|
2 tsp chopped rosemary
Directions: Mix chopped rosemary with the oils first then add sugar to make a paste.
1/2 C fine sea salt
1/4 C fine sea salt
Tip: Add a bit of water or liquid soap while using.
3 C fine sea salt
Mix ingredients together then use after showering, store in a sealed glass jar.
|Peppermint (for feet)|
1 1/2 C fine sea salt
Exfoliate soles and heels with this mixture after a bath or foot soak.
1 C oatmeal
1/2 C oatmeal
|Yogurt & Honey|
1 TBS oats
1/4 C rolled oats
Trim the berries of their leaves then mash, mix in the rolled oats then add enough milk to make a paste.
2 C oats
Mix then grind in a blender until it’s a powder, store in a sealed glass jar and keep in a dark location. To use: mix about a tablespoon of powder with enough water to make a paste. Gently massage into skin then rinse with clear water.