Summer Gourmet: Tempting Hot Dogs & Fixings
Posted By Tipnut On July 6, 2011 @ 11:47 am In Recipes | No Comments
I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to hot dogs, they have to be grilled or roasted, never boiled, served with lots of onions and mustard, and they have to be a good quality deli-frank…but boy do I enjoy these guys in the summer, some days I’d choose them over a steak!
Today’s Hit List is a tasty bunch of ideas that I’ve handpicked from around the ‘net sharing a few different ways to serve them (mostly grilled but some oven baked too).
Next you’ll find a few homemade condiments to try (relishes, sauces) and if you’re really looking to up the game this summer, there are a few different recipes for homemade buns at the bottom.
Lots to keep you busy with this summer, enjoy!
- Mexican Style with Pineapple Salsa & Chipotle Mayonnaise : Topped with bacon, refried or ranch-style beans, mustard, ketchup, jalapeno pickles, avocado wedges, chipotle mayonnaise and pineapple salsa. From Homesick Texan.
- Bacon Cheese : They’re sliced and stuffed with shredded cheese then wrapped with bacon, can be cooked in the oven or on the grill. From Barbara Bakes.
- Michigan Style with Cheese Sauce : These are boiled rather than grilled (but grilled would be tasty too). Both the Michigan sauce and cheese sauce are included. From Rachael Ray.
- Topped with Cheddar and Sauteed Apples : Here’s something different, apples are cooked until barely softened (brown sugar and cinnamon added) then grilled dogs are set in rolls, topped with cheddar cheese and baked for a few minutes until cheese is melted (then apples added). From Food & Wine.
- Reuben : Made with spicy brown mustard, pastrami deli slices, sourdough French rolls, sliced Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and Thousand Island salad dressing. From Kitchen Daily.
- With Charred Tomato Salsa : Ingredients include halved tomatoes, finely chopped red chilli, chopped garlic clove, chopped basil, brown sugar, olive oil, red wine vinegar. From BBC Good Food.
- Spicy Mango-Pineapple : Topped with a mango-pineapple salsa (cubed mango, pineapple, chopped red onion, minced jalapeno and lime juice) and a jalapeno sauce (seeded jalapenos, white vinegar, canola oil, shallot, lime juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper). From Coconut & Lime.
- Classic Coney Island : Chili included, topped with onions and extra mustard. From Rachael Ray.
- Chicago Style : Made with sliced grape tomatoes, sweet pickle relish, pickled peppers, diced onion, yellow mustard, celery salt, dill pickle spear (either on top or on the side). From For The Love Of Cooking.
- Another Chicago Style : Ingredients include grainy mustard, white-wine vinegar, coarse salt and ground pepper, sweet onion (sliced), Kirby cucumber (thin strips), sliced tomato, celery leaves, chopped sport pepper or peperoncini, pickle spears and relish. From Martha Stewart.
- On Grilled Croissants : Topped with grilled cabbage, peppers and vidalia onions that are mixed with vinaigrette. From Savoring Time In The Kitchen.
- Chili Cheese : Includes the homemade chili that is then used to cover grilled franks (with a shredded cheddar cheese topping). From A Sweet Pea Chef.
- Oven Version : Topped with chili, diced onion, cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, mustard and sweet relish before being baked in the oven for a crispy top. From In The Wabe.
- Homemade Corn Dogs : Batter ingredients include all-purpose flour, yellow corn meal, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cayenne, egg, whole milk and cornstarch. From A Cozy Kitchen.
- Corn Dogs From Scratch : Includes the batter and deep frying instructions. Includes vegan/dairy free and gluten free substitutions. From Bakingdom.
Condiments & Fixings
- Foresters Spicy Onion Sauce : Ingredients include yellow or sweet onion, ketchup or tomato sauce, water, sugar, Sriracha sauce or chili garlic paste, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper and oregano. From Slashfood.
- Zucchini Relish : (canning) Ingredients include grated zucchini, salt, garlic salt, ground onion, chopped red and green bell pepper, sugar, dry mustard, nutmeg, pepper, vinegar, turmeric, corn starch and celery seed. From Sweet Basil.
- Homemade Relish : Ingredients include finely diced red and green bell pepper, fresh lemon juice, minced garlic cloves, diced red onions, red wine vinegar, light brown sugar, ground ginger, ground white pepper and water. From Seasaltwithfood.
- Michigan Coney Sauce : Ingredients include ground beef, good quality tomato juice, chili powder, finely diced onions, water, garlic powder, Tabasco sauce, salt and black pepper. From CHOW.
- Creamy Slaw : Advises that it’s better made a day ahead of time, ingredients include cabbage, diced green bell peppers, sugar, dry mustard, white vinegar, sour cream, mayonnaise, prepared yellow mustard, salt and white pepper. From Serious Eats.
- Two Toppers : Cranberry and Sauerkraut Relish and a Quick Pickle Relish (both to refrigerate). From One Perfect Bite.
- Buns (for hamburgers too) : Made with warm milk or water, yeast, salt, sugar, all-purpose flour, an egg and oil. From Chickens In The Road.
- Homemade Buns : (Makes 12) Ingredients include milk, an egg, canola oil, sucanant, sugar, or honey, bread flour, vital wheat gluten, salt and yeast. From Good Cheap Eats.
- Buns : Made with granulated sugar, active dry yeast, warm water, warm milk, vegetable oil, salt, unbleached all-purpose flour and an egg wash. From King Arthur Flour.
- Chinese Bakery Style : Made with bread flour, active dry yeast, sugar, salt, large eggs, milk, unsalted butter (softened) and sesame seeds. From Return of the Yummy.
- Whole Wheat : (bread machine) Ingredients include water, an egg, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, shortening, sugar and yeast. From Mom Advice.
If you’d like to spiral cut them for grilling, here’s a video showing how to do that (and why you’d want to): from Chow.com .
Article printed from TipNut.com: http://tipnut.com
URL to article: http://tipnut.com/hot-dog-recipes/
URLs in this post:
 Mexican Style with Pineapple Salsa & Chipotle Mayonnaise: http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2010/04/mexican-hot-dogs-with-pineapple-salsa.html
 Bacon Cheese: http://www.barbarabakes.com/2011/06/bacon-wrapped-cheese-hot-dogs/
 Michigan Style with Cheese Sauce: http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=3144
 Topped with Cheddar and Sauteed Apples: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/hot-dogs-with-cheddar-and-sauteed-apples
 Reuben: http://main.kitchendaily.com/recipe/reuben-dogs-84349/
 With Charred Tomato Salsa: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1517/index.html
 Spicy Mango-Pineapple: http://www.coconutandlime.com/2010/06/hawaiian-style-hot-dog.html
 Classic Coney Island: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/lunch-recipes/Classic-Coney-Island-Hot-Dogs
 Chicago Style: http://fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com/2010/08/chicago-style-hot-dog.html
 Another Chicago Style: http://www.marthastewart.com/339870/chicago-style-hot-dogs
 On Grilled Croissants: http://savoringtimeinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2009/06/hot-dog-its-summertime-grilling-season.html
 Chili Cheese: http://www.asweetpeachef.com/beef/a-fathers-day-special-homemade-chili-cheese-dogs/
 Oven Version: http://alyssabyoung.com/blog/2010/12/17/oven-hot-dogs/
 Homemade Corn Dogs: http://acozykitchen.com/homemade-corn-dogs/
 Corn Dogs From Scratch: http://www.bakingdom.com/2011/06/homemade-corn-dogs.html
 Foresters Spicy Onion Sauce: http://www.slashfood.com/2008/06/25/foresters-spicy-hot-dog-onion-sauce/
 Zucchini Relish: http://www.ohsweetbasil.com/2009/09/zucchini-hot-dog-relish.html
 Homemade Relish: http://www.seasaltwithfood.com/2009/05/homemade-hot-dog-relish.html
 Michigan Coney Sauce: http://www.chow.com/recipes/11840-michigan-coney-sauce
 Creamy Slaw: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/12/creamy-hot-dog-slaw-recipe.html
 Two Toppers: http://oneperfectbite.blogspot.com/2011/06/relish-relish-two-hot-dog-toppers.html
 Buns (for hamburgers too): http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/homemade-hamburger-hot-dog-buns/
 Homemade Buns: http://goodcheapeats.com/2009/07/homemade-hot-dog-buns/
 Buns: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hamburger-or-hot-dog-buns-recipe
 Chinese Bakery Style: http://returnoftheyummy.blogspot.com/2009/05/chinese-bakery-style-hot-dog-buns.html
 Whole Wheat: http://momadvice.com/blog/2009/03/whole-wheat-hamburger-hot-dog-buns
 from Chow.com: http://www.chow.com/food-news/119349/why-you-should-spiral-cut-your-hot-dog-for-grilling/
Click here to print.