Suffering from a bad case of the hiccups? They don’t do any physical damage and are more annoying than anything (though I suppose if you have a chronic case, that may be cause for concern).
Sure enough, it never fails that they appear at the most inopportune times (when you’re trying to sleep, right before a job interview, during class, etc.).
The good news is that there are lots of different remedies you can try that can stop them in their tracks.
Here’s a tip from Growing Happiness  with “The Best Cure”, there’s a twist to this you may not know:
I’ve also tried many other methods like holding my breath, pulling my ears, pinching my nose, drinking honey and getting tickled (made me feel worse). That was until B told me that the cure does indeed lie in drinking water but not just any water, it has to be warm.
Aha! Warm temperature is the trick…visit the page for details why it works. I was taught to hold my breath and it had inconsistent results. Thankfully, I rarely get them ;).
Update: Tipnut readers have a lot good tips too and many were shared in the comments area below, here are several more ideas you can try:
- First take a deep breath then keep drinking tiny sips until you can no longer hold your breath. (From Carole)
- Let a spoonful of sugar dissolve on your tongue then swallow. (From Melody)
- Talking on the phone will fix them. (From Janet)
- Trying to do them on purpose, or forcing one, brings them to a stop. (From Geraldine)
- Stimulating the nerves of the throat helps, try massaging your earlobes. (From Earl)
- Drinking upside down helps. (From Kim & Katlyn)
- Take a deep breath, hold it then bend over sharply. Keep holding your breath until you no longer can then let it out and take another deep breath. (From Alice)
- Eat a spoonful of peanut butter, allowing it to sit in your mouth a few seconds before swallowing. (From Judy)
- A teaspoon of vinegar can help. (From Ruth)
- Try drinking a half glass, tilt your head up with your mouth open and hold your breath for 10 seconds. (From Charles)
- Take a drink, hold it in your mouth then plug your ears and swallow. (From Roxann)
Did we miss your tried and true remedy? Please share it with everyone by adding it in the comments area below, thank you!