There are a few different ways to make Key Lime pie with the differences between them mainly found in the type of crust or topping used. Depending on who you ask, favorite crusts are either a graham cracker, or a graham cracker & coconut or even a pastry. Toppings can either be whipped cream or a meringue, while some prefer none at all! The filling is a tangy treat featuring a cool and creamy lime curd.
No matter how you like ’em, I have you covered with this Recipe Hit List highlighting several ways to make this popular dessert (most made from scratch but I have included a quick & easy jello & whipped topping filling). Enjoy!
- From Scratch – Whipped Vanilla Topping : (graham cracker & coconut crust) Ingredients include sugar, shredded coconut, Kosher salt, unsalted butter, graham crackers, egg yolks, cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, key lime juice, zest of two limes, whipping cream, vanilla and sugar. From Merry Gourmet.
- Pastry Crust With Meringue Topping, Green Filling : (baked, from scratch) Green food coloring is added to the filling to make it a nice bright green. Ingredients include eggs, sweetened condensed milk, fresh lime juice, heavy cream, grated lime peel, green food coloring, unbaked pie crust, cream of tartar and sugar. From Eagle Brand.
- Quick & Easy – Oreo Cookie Crust : This is a “cheater version” made with Lime Jello, lime juice and zest, whipped topping, and finely crushed Oreo cookies (with melted butter) to make the crust. From Kraft Foods.
- Double Citrus – With Lemon Wafer Crumb Crust : (from scratch, baked) Ingredients include lemon wafer cookie crumbs, sugar, melted butter (for crust), sweetened condensed milk, large eggs, key lime juice and zest. From Baking Bites.
- From Scratch – Pastry Crust : (meringue topping) Ingredients include all-purpose flour, salt, sugar, unsalted butter, shortening, ice water, eggs, egg yolks, sugar, milk, salt, key lime juice, unsalted butter, egg whites, vanilla extract, cream of tartar and sugar. From Williams-Sonoma.
- Frozen : Made from scratch, pie crust is baked then once cool, filling is added then frozen (instead of baked). Ingredients include graham cracker crumbs, sugar, unsalted butter (for crust), egg yolks, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, grated lime zest & freshly squeezed juice, cold heavy cream, sugar, pure vanilla extract and thin lime wedges. From Barefoot Contessa at Food Network.
- From Scratch – Graham Cracker Crust : (heavy cream topping) Ingredients include graham cracker crumbs, unsalted butter, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, freshly squeezed key-lime juice (and zest), chilled heavy cream. From Martha Stewart.
- With Ginger & Gingerbread Snaps Crust : Ingredients include gingerbread snap crumbs, sugar and melted butter (for crust), sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, fresh key lime juice and ginger juice. Top with whipped cream, berries or lime garnish (optional). From Bless Her Heart.
- With Pecan Gingersnap Crust : Ingredients include sugar, whole eggs, egg yolks, juice and zest from key limes, butter, whipping cream, vanilla, sugar, unsalted butter, flour (for dusting), crushed gingersnap cookies, finely chopped pecans, sugar and salt. From The Vintage Mixer.
- Yogurt Pie : Lighten things up with this quick & easy version, made with fresh lime juice, cold water, unflavored gelatin, fat-free cream cheese, Yoplait Light Thick & Creamy Key lime pie yogurt, frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, grated lime and reduced-fat graham cracker crumb crust. From Betty Crocker.