Here are a few helpers for making apple butter that I’ve gathered from around the ‘net for this Hit List collection (many are good for canning long-term while others are smaller batches to be refrigerated).
This is a nice sauce or condiment that you can spread on biscuits, muffins or rolls and French toast. You can also try serving it with pork, mix some in with oatmeal or even enjoy it as a dessert.
I’ve included a few slowcooker/crockpot versions as well as some interesting flavor twists (such as maple, spiced, rum, etc.).
A good selection of tasty treats here and they’re pretty easy to make too, enjoy!
- Crock Pot Version : (Includes canning instructions) You’ll need a couple large jars of unsweetened applesauce, sugar, 3 lbs of Granny Smiths, juice, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. From Southern Plate.
- Another Crock Pot Version : The batch can be frozen, refrigerated or canned. Yields 5 pints. From Fly Through Our Window.
- Basic Slowcooker : (Yields just over a pint) All you need is some water, brown sugar, cinnamon and all spice. From Changing My Destiny.
- Spiced : This has a spreadable saucelike consistency and is lighter than a fruit cheese. Yields 5 x 450ml jars. Ingredients include vanilla essence, lemon juice, almond essence, allspice, cinnamon and white granulated sugar. From The Cottage Smallholder.
- Sweet Spiced : (Crock pot) Cook slow and by the end of the day this is ready to jar, and makes a perfect gift idea. Standard ingredients with a twist: balsamic vinegar. From Reluctant Entertainer.
- With Figs : Cooked on the stovetop in a small saucepan for about 30 minutes (or until fruit is very soft). Next you puree in a food processor or with an immersion blender until smooth. You’ll need 8 dried Black Mission figs for this one. Recommends whisking this together with a little balsamic vinegar and reducing over a low flame to make an unbeatable glaze for grilled chicken. From Brokeass Gourmet.
- With Rum-Raisin : Suggests not peeling the fruit before boiling in a large pot, put them through a food mill and most of the peel will be strained out. From Chickens In The Road.
- Autumn Maple : Ingredients include cider or juice, a cinnamon stick and maple syrup. From Under The High Chair.
- Tutorial For Canning It : Makes about 5 (8 oz) jars and uses medium-sized Granny Smiths, cider, both brown and white sugar, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, grated nutmeg, whole star anise, cinnamon stick, lemon juice and rind. First cooked on the stove until soft then put through the food processor. Batch is returned to an oven-proof pot and cooked for 2 to 3 hours in the oven. From Erin’s Kitchen.
- Sweet and Chunky : (both McIntosh and Granny Smith) You’ll need a cup of cider, granulated sugar and some lemon juice. Found at Epicurious.