If you’re looking to add more fiber to your diet, switching from white rice to brown is one way to do it. Portion control and snacking an issue when dieting? Since brown rice has a higher fiber content, it helps you feel satisfied sooner and fuller longer.
It does take a little more time to cook and the flavor and texture is bit different (and stronger) than what you may be used to, but if you give it a chance (and try some new dishes with it), you’ll likely find the transition quite easy to manage.
Today’s Recipe Hit List features a nice assortment of ideas that I’ve handpicked from around the ‘net, some a little spicy, some creamy, cheesy, nutty…you name it, it’s on this list. Several require pre-cooked rice so they’re a great way to use up any leftovers from the night before. Enjoy!
- With Walnuts and Golden Raisins : Ingredients include extra-virgin olive oil, diced yellow onion, Kosher salt, golden raisins, toasted walnuts, fresh flat-leaf parsley, freshly ground black pepper. From Fine Cooking.
- Dirty : Ingredients include reduced-sodium chicken broth, peanut oil (or canola oil), cooked chicken andouille (or other spicy chicken sausage), chopped yellow onion, chopped celery, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, minced garlic, chopped fresh thyme leaves, cayenne pepper, salt. From Eating Well.
- Coconut : Ingredients include peeled fresh ginger, unsweetened coconut milk, Kosher salt, cilantro sprigs (for garnish). From Saveur.
- Vegetable Fried : Ingredients include hot pepper sesame oil, light colored oil, diced onion, carrot, sweet white corn, soy sauce, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, ground black pepper, sesame oil, frozen petite peas. From The Cooking Photographer.
- Toasted with Mixed Mushrooms & Thyme : Ingredients include olive oil, chopped onion, chopped celery, fresh thyme, salt, freshly ground black pepper, dry white wine, chicken broth, cremini mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, fresh spinach leaves. From Cookin’ Canuck.
- Indian Lemon : Ingredients include halved raw cashews, ghee (or butter and oil mixture), cumin seeds, black mustard seeds, urad dal, turmeric, chopped green chilies, dried curry leaves, coconut, fresh lemon juice, sea salt to taste. From Lisa’s Kitchen.
- Medley : Ingredients include chicken stock, chopped sweet onion, chopped green apples, celery, fresh thyme, olive oil and butter, Kosher salt, freshly ground black peppercorns, walnut pieces, pomegranate seeds. From Christine Cooks.
- Casserole with Leftover Turkey (or chicken), Mushrooms, Sour Cream, Cheese, and Thyme : Ingredients include sliced mushrooms, olive oil, diced onion, ground thyme, ground poultry seasoning, salt and fresh ground black pepper, diced leftover turkey or chicken, sour cream, grated Parmesan cheese, grated low-fat cheese. From Kalyn’s Kitchen.
- Ginger Fried : Ingredients include peanut oil, eggs, chopped scallions, minced fresh ginger, frozen peas, mung bean sprouts, prepared stir-fry or oyster sauce. From Eating Well.
- Creamy Pumpkin : Serves 8 to 10. Ingredients include extra-virgin olive oil, chopped white or yellow onion, canned pumpkin puree, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, bay leaves, salt and pepper. From Whole Foods Market.
- With Black-Eyed Peas : Ingredients include chopped onion, chopped celery stalks, minced garlic cloves, freshly ground pepper, frozen black-eyed peas, butternut squash (seeded and cubed), red bell pepper, hot-pepper sauce. From Williams-Sonoma.
- Vegetable Fried : Ingredients include peanut oil, chopped carrot, chopped red bell pepper, fresh chives or scallions, eggs, salt, Asian sesame oil. From Bella Eats.
- Baked Mexican Style : Ingredients include canola oil, chopped onion, sliced garlic, jalapeno peppers, canned tomatoes, ground ancho or other chili powder, fine sea salt. From Whole Foods Market.
- With Asparagus Tips : Ingredients include white and green asparagus tips, baby bok choy, bamboo shoots, ginger scallion sauce, soy sauce, holy basil paste, salt & pepper, sesame oil. From Kits Chow.
- Nutty : Ingredients include unsalted butter, mixed nuts (chopped) and grated nutmeg. From Epicurious.
- Oven-Baked with Roast Tomatoes : Ingredients include ripe plum tomatoes, freshly ground pepper (to taste), unsalted butter, olive oil, chopped yellow onion, chopped fresh thyme, chicken stock. From Williams-Sonoma.