15+ Crumb Cakes To Try
Here’s another batch of yummy baking with this Recipe Hit List focusing on homemade crumb cakes that I’ve handpicked from around the net. Don’t miss the coffee cakes on this page for more ideas. A nice mix of flavor ideas here, enjoy!
*Note: Descriptions below are quotes from the reference sites
- Classic: This dense, moist cake is a perfect base for its white sugar crumb topping. Watch out when you cut it; in typical crumb cake fashion, the topping will scatter a bit. From King Arthur Flour.
- New Jersey: From Dine & Dish.
- Cinnamon: The cake was moist, light and full of cinnamon flavor. I normally like a lot more crumb topping but I wanted to keep it light. It was a wonderful dessert that we all enjoyed. From For The Love Of Cooking.
- Raspberry: Moist cake batter topped with crispy crumble dough… After tasting this cake, I seriously consider topping every cake with this crumble topping from now on! From Cafe Fernando.
- Strawberry Jam: In this recipe, the cake itself has a tender, moist crumb thanks to the presence of sour cream in the batter. It features the well-balanced flavors of vanilla and butter, both of which complement coffee excellently. I topped it off with a large portion of crumb topping, which I clumped together as I sprinkled it onto the cake batter in an effort to ensure that every piece of cake had an equal – and large – amount of the topping. From Baking Bites.
- Plum: From The Canadian Baker.
- Glazed with Cardamom and Pecans: Of course you could use cinnamon instead of cardamom, and it would be great, but there’s something so lovely about cardamom. If you have any pumpkin pie spice left over in your pantry, give that a try also. From Sass & Veracity.
- Rhubarb: A nice layer of sweetened rhubarb slices through the middle was a good contrast to the cake and sweetened crumble topping. From Patent And The Pantry.
- Blackberry: Fat juicy blackberries suspended in a moist cake loaded with a pecan crumb topping. What could be better? From Shutterbean.
- Orange: Incredibly light textured—perhaps due to the fact that olive oil replaces stodgy butter in this recipe—and to what effect! Light as a feather, indeed. Plus, the orange flavour is bright and fresh and melds beautifully with the cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon. And did I mention that it’s easy to boot? Yup, just take care to read over the recipe and reserve some of the dry mixture as the topping! From Everybody Likes Sandwiches.
- Rasberry Cream Cheese: I don’t have to tell you that this cake was a huge cake right? I mean it didn’t even last a day in this house. Poor crumb cake didn’t know what it had coming to his sexy, yummy, buttery, fruity, crumbly self. But you know what else? This cake is actually a danish imposter; a danish posing as a crumbcake. From Vanilla Sugar.
- Banana Espresso: A good crumb cake should have the following: moist cake, crunchy & thick crumbs with a hint of salt, and a higher or equal ratio of crumbs to cake. Right? Good. From Vanilla Sugar.
- Pear with Candied Ginger Streusel: It’s a gooey cake, full of sweet shredded pears warmed with fall spices and flashes of crystallized ginger in those buttery crumbs. Dusted with confectioners’ sugar. From Ezra Pound Cake.
- Warm Strawberry: By the time these strawberries were tossed with sugar and a vanilla bean, roasted in the oven with a crumb cake topping and served with some freshly whipped cream—they were surprisingly wonderful. From Lottie + Doof.
- Blueberry Ricotta: Makes 1 – 9″ square cake. From Buttercream Barbie.
- Sour Cream Blueberry: From Pie In The Sky.
- Blueberry: A basic crumb cake is a great recipe to have in your back pocket during the summer; this same cake is fantastic made with raspberries, cherries, strawberries, blackberries, or thickly sliced peaches, apricots or plums. The cake batter would take on finely grated orange or lemon zest very well. From Dinner With Julie.
- New York Style: The result is a moist, dense (but not heavy) cake base topped by heaps — and I mean heaps — of brown sugar crumbs. This recipe does not skimp on the crumb topping; even after you slice the cake into pieces and chunks of topping fall onto the platter, your piece of cake still has a generous crumb cover. From Laura Rebecca’s Kitchen.
- Cardamom: Makes one cake or 8 servings. The unusual combination of cardamom, coffee, walnuts, vanilla and orange zest is just mindblowingly fantastic, and it’s smooth as well as moist inside pairs perfectly well with the generous layer of cardamom-spiced, walnut-dotted crunchy topping. From Rosa’s Yummy Yums.