If hair is dry or damaged, here are a few recipes to try that will both nourish and bring it to a healthy shine.
These are made with natural ingredients and most are likely in your pantry already.
The hot oil remedies at the bottom of the page work best if a warmed towel is wrapped around the head after treatment is applied, here’s how to prepare them:
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Lightly spray both sides of a towel with water then fold and arrange them in a large paper bag (or roll in aluminum foil).
- Place bag (closed) on a baking sheet then put in the oven on the middle rack.
- Turn off heat and they should be ready to use in about 10 minutes or so.
- Crockpot Method: Generously mist them with water, roll up then arrange in a pre-heated crockpot (medium temperature). Cover and leave for about 20 mins, reducing to low after 10.
Use them only when they’re cool enough to handle.
- “EO” is short for Essential Oil
- “EVOO” is short for Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup of honey
1 tsp EVOO
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 TBS almond extract
- Mix first two items in a blender for 5 mins then add the other items and blend for another 5. Keep refrigerated in a sealed glass jar until ready to use.
Avocado (to help repair split ends)
1 mashed avocado
2 drops lavender EO
- Apply to ends and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse off (no shampoo).
2 TBS lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
1 egg yolk
1 tsp yogurt (plain)
- Rinse off after 20 minutes.
1 ripe banana
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup dried chamomile
1 TBS coconut oil
1 TBS honey
- Use a blender to combine then apply. Rinse well after 20 minutes.
Egg & EVOO
1 egg yolk
1 TBS plain yogurt
1 TBS EVOO
- Wash off after 25 minutes.
Ideal for deep conditioning and so simple to do you can skip the salon and whip them up yourself. Here’s how…
- Warm ingredients in a small glass jar placed in a bowl of hot water, combine thoroughly.
- Apply evenly from roots to ends, massage into scalp then cover head with plastic wrap (or bag) and then a hot towel.
- When towel has cooled, remove and cover with another one that has been warmed.
- Wait at least 30 mins or up to two hours before washing hair well with shampoo and condition as usual (optional).