This Recipe Hit List is a fun collection featuring all kinds of monkey breads to make that I’ve handpicked from around the ‘net…some sweet, some savory, some gooey, some nutty…all of them good! This is a pull-apart bread (think gooey cinnamon buns) usually made in a bundt or tube cake pan but there are loaf shaped variations (and muffin tins too).
After preparing the dough you roll it up in small balls and arrange in the cake pan with other ingredients. You can go the quick & easy route by making it with canned or frozen biscuit dough (popular) or go hardcore and make it from scratch, I’ve included lots of recipes for both methods (noted in each description). This is a popular breakfast treat with both the kiddos and adults (some recipes can be made ahead the night before and then popped in the oven when you wake up), but this can be enjoyed all day long…and watch everyone pick it apart like monkeys!
- Grands : (as seen in image) There’s no monkey business involved in making this cinnamon-scented pull-apart. Made with Grands! Homestyle refrigerated buttermilk biscuits, chopped walnuts and raisins (optional). Video tutorial included. From Pillsbury.
- Classic : With a ready-made biscuit dough dusted with a cinnamon & sugar mix. From Southern Plate.
- With Chocolate : Made from scratch. Features mini chocolate chips baked into the dough and chocolate topping with a confectioners’ sugar drizzled glaze. Also shares a nutty caramel variation. Includes bread machine instructions. From Canadian Living.
- Chocolate Studded : Made with 2 packages of buttermilk biscuits, chocolate chips, brown sugar and more. From The Repressed Pastry Chef.
- Muffin Minis : Made from scratch and finished off with a drizzled glaze. From Shutterbean.
- With A Sweet Glaze : Made from scratch and features a glaze made with butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, light brown sugar and water. From Biscuits And Such.
- With Apple Cinnamon : Made with 2 cans of refrigerated biscuits, chopped apples and pecans. From What’s Cookin Chicago.
- Pumpkin Pie Brioche Style : Made with a no-knead, make-ahead bread dough. From Something Shiny.
- With Apples : Made with 2 cans of biscuits and chopped apples. From Life’s Too Short To Skip Dessert.
- Faye’s Version : Made with frozen Rhodes rolls, instant butterscotch pudding mix, pecans (optional) and more. From Laura Rebecca’s Kitchen.
- With Cheddar & Mustard : Made from scratch. Chunks of cheese rolled up in balls of dough then each ball is dipped in a mixture of butter/mustard/salt/cayenne before going into the pan. From Stresscake.
- Fluffy Blueberry Cardamom Version : Pull-apart in loaf shape. Made from scratch. From Bake My Day.
- With Olive Oil & Thyme : Doesn’t provide the actual dough recipe (just states to use a basic monkey bread dough) but details how to switch things up with herbs and seasonings. From L.A. Times.
- Make Ahead Version : Made from scratch. Nice & gooey with pecans throughout. From Bake and Shake.
- Sugared : Made from scratch, dough pieces are dipped in butter then granulated sugar before baking. From Baking And Books.
- Overnight : Made from scratch, classic recipe topped with an icing sugar glaze. From Barbara Bakes.
- Cheesy & Savory : Made from scratch with a tasty twist, ingredients include fresh parsley, spring onion, grated gruyere cheese. From Pete Bakes.