Muffin Mania! 80+ Recipes Plus Quick Tips
If you’re a fan of freshly baked, homemade muffins, this is the page for you! I have dozens of different recipes organized below (some even healthified) that I’ve handpicked from around the ‘net.
I’ve organized them into groups for easier browsing (apple, banana, pineapple, strawberry, blueberry, and more) and then added a few simple baking tips at the bottom of the page.
I’ll be updating and adding to this collection over time so you may want to bookmark it for future reference. Enjoy!
*Ingredients listed below are a sample only and not a complete list
- With Cinnamon & Oatmeal: Whole wheat flour, rolled oats, milk or water, oil, lightly beaten eggs, vanilla and chopped apples. [Cathlin Cooks].
- Fritter Style: Ingredients include large Granny Smith apples, granulated sugar, water, applesauce, canola oil, buttermilk. Glaze ingredients: melted butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and hot water. [Chasing Some Blue Sky].
- Coffee Cake Style: Softened butter, eggs, graham flour, Greek yogurt, peeled & cubed apples. [Nutmeg Nanny].
- Apple Pie: With large chunks of apple and a streusel topping, ingredients include pumpkin pie spice, Kosher salt, egg, buttermilk, vanilla extract and Granny Smith apples. Topping is brown sugar, flour, rolled oats and ground cinnamon. [The Ginger Snap Girl].
- With Crushed Cheerios: Ingredients include Cheerios cereal, applesauce, fat-free (skim) milk, vegetable oil, egg (or fat-free egg product) and raisins (if desired). [Eat Better America].
- Moosewood: Pumpkin puree, apples and cinnamon. Streusel topping is made with unbleached flour, cold butter, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. [Kat In The Kitch].
- With Coconut & Chocolate Chips: Ingredients include eggs, coconut milk, maple syrup (optional), salt, vanilla extract, coconut oil, coconut flour, baking powder and soda, mashed ripe bananas and dark chocolate chips. [Multiply Delicious].
- Banana Crumb: Mashed bananas, white sugar, a beaten egg. [The Keenan Cookbook].
- With Toffee & Chocolate: Extra ripe bananas, eggs, packed brown sugar, sour cream (or nonfat Greek yogurt), salt, Heath Chocolate Toffee Bits and mini-chocolate chips. [Cinnamon Girl].
- With Cinnamon Chips: Mashed bananas, canola oil, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract (can replace with chocolate chips instead). [Alida's Kitchen].
- Topped With Streusel & Caramel Glaze: Ingredients include mashed ripe bananas, lightly beaten egg, applesauce, vanilla extract. Streusel: brown sugar, all-purpose flour, quick oats and cold butter. Glaze: butter, brown sugar, milk and powdered sugar. [Cooking With Krista].
- With Chocolate: Mashed bananas, a beaten egg, packed brown sugar, and chopped chocolate. [Baking Between Cities].
- With Almonds: Whole wheat flour, whole oatmeal, almond meal, flax meal, salt, yogurt, eggs, almond extract, skim milk, fresh blueberries and sliced almonds. [Deconstructing The Home].
- With Lemon: Sour cream, yogurt, canola oil, zest and juice from Meyer lemons and fresh or frozen blueberries. [Heather's Dish].
- Buttermilk (includes raspberries): Lemon zest, buttermilk, fresh or frozen blueberries and raspberries, sugar (for dusting). [Baking & Creating With Avril].
- Sugar Topped: Usalted butter, pure vanilla extract, milk and blueberries. [Cozy Cottage Cute].
- With Streusel: Topping: sugar, all-purpose flour, cinnamon and cold butter. [Taste of Home].
- Blueberry: Unsalted butter, pure vanilla extract, milk and blueberries. [Martha Stewart].
- Apple Bran: Ingredients include nutmeg, finely chopped tart apple, water, instant nonfat dry milk, vegetable oil and bran flake cereal. [Very Best Baking].
- Flax & Oats: Ripened banana, olive oil, freshly ground flax seed, whole wheat flour, oats and baking soda. [Oh She Glows].
- Banana Bran: Mashed ripe bananas, buttermilk, unprocessed wheat bran, canola oil, chocolate chips (optional), walnuts (optional). [Eating Well].
- Applesauce Raisin Bran: Raisin Bran cereal, nonfat milk, unsweetened applesauce, egg. [Food.com].
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip: Rolled oats, milk and chocolate chips. [How Sweet Eats].
- Raisin Bran: Vegetable oil, raisin bran cereal, salt, egg and dark brown sugar. [Martha Stewart].
- Low-Fat Blueberry Bran: Wheat bran, nonfat milk, unsweetened applesauce, an egg, vanilla extract, fresh or frozen blueberries. [Bites On Today].
- Oatmeal Honey: Rolled oats, buttermilk, unbeaten egg, honey. [The Kitchenarian].
- Rasberry Fiber: (sugar free, gluten free, vegan, dairy free) Made with almond milk, fresh apple juice, unsweetened applesauce, coconut oil, medjool dates, vanilla extract, almond flour, roasted buckwheat kernels (ground), freshly ground flax, salt, baking powder and fresh or frozen organic raspberries. [Healthful Pursuit].
- Carrot: Ingredients include whole wheat flour, white flour, dark brown sugar, fine salt, eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and grated carrots. [Two Tarts].
- Inside Out Carrot Cake: Features a yummy cream cheese filling, ingredients include cream cheese, ginger, eggs, water, vegetable oil and freshly grated carrots. [King Arthur Flour].
- With Apples: Old fashioned oats, applesauce, almond milk, carrots (steamed and pureed or mashed), coconut oil and vegan egg. [Squash Blossom Babies].
- Moist With Whole Wheat & Honey: Ingredients include whole wheat flour, nutmeg, vanilla, eggs, milk, vegetable oil, honey and shredded carrots. [Harmonic Mama].
- With Avocado: Ripe, organic avocados, unsweetened baking squares, honey, salt, vanilla extract, unsweetened almond milk and olive oil. [Delighted Momma].
- Triple Chocolate Chunk: Oats, egg whites, unsweetened cocoa, unsweetened applesauce, vanilla extract, plain Greek yogurt, cream of tartar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, hot water, sugar substitute (ie. Splenda), semi-sweet chocolate chips (or white chocolate or peanut butter chips). [Dashing Dish].
- Dark Chocolate Minis: Ingredients include brown sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, fat-free milk, unsweetened applesauce, cooking oil, molasses, balsamic vinegar, vanilla, miniature semisweet chocolate pieces. [Better Homes And Gardens].
- Triple Chocolate: Chopped dark chocolate, cocoa, sour cream, eggs, vanilla essence, chocolate covered caramel candies and sifted cocoa. [Food.com].
- Low-Fat With Poppy Seeds: Zest and juice of lemons, non-fat Greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract, canola oil and poppy seeds. [A Bicycle Built For Two].
- With Ricotta: Yields 12, ingredients include low fat ricotta cheese, water, canola oil, juice & zest of lemons, vanilla and turbinado sugar. [Alida's Kitchen].
- With Ricotta: Finely grated lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, whole-milk ricotta cheese, an egg, almond extract and thinly sliced almonds. [Cook Like A Champion].
- With Yogurt: Freshly squeezed lemon juice, milk, nonfat Greek yogurt (plain), lemon zest and topping with melted butter and sugar. [Cinnamon Girl].
- Triple Lemon: Lemon zest & juice, plain Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, lemon extract, almond extract, lemon curd (a jar of store bought) and honey. [Cupcakes To Caviar].
- With Raspberries: Ingredients include lemon, nonfat buttermilk, canola oil, fresh or frozen raspberries. [Eating Well].
- Pineapple Crunch: Softened butter, eggs, vanilla extract, crushed pineapple (with juice), topped with a crunchy mix of softened butter and Panko bread crumbs. [Miss...In The Kitchen].
- With Orange & Banana: Topped with a glaze made [powdered sugar and fresh orange juice, ingredients include soda, milk, sour cream, vanilla, diced banana, diced fresh pineapple, canned mandarine oranges, shredded coconut. Topping mixture: sugar, cinnamon, flour, orange zest and melted butter. [The Cafe Sucre Farine].
- Filled With Pineapple Jam: Topped with a lemon glaze, ingredients include milk, lemon rind/zest, pineapple jam (fresh pineapple, granulated sugar, cloves and star anise). Glaze is made with butter, sifted icing sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice. [Foodiva's Kitchen].
- With Carrot: Canola oil, eggs, grated carrots and crushed pineapple. [Canadian Living].
- With Orange & Pecans: Ingredients include chopped pecans, brown sugar, golden raisins, crushed pineapple (in juice), orange juice, grated orange peel and an egg. [Sunkist].
- Sweet: Crushed pineapple (undrained), eggs and canola oil. [Taste of Home].
- Maple Glazed: Ingredients cloves, nutmeg, salt, solid pack pumpkin, oil, eggs. Glaze is made with butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, water and maple syrup. [Pinch of Yum].
- Spice: Makes 12, ingredients include salt, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin puree, an egg and vanilla. [Adventures In Food].
- With Maple: Pumpkin pie spice, salt, eggs, canned pumpkin (or squash), evaporated milk, vegetable oil, maple syrup, softened cream cheese. [Kitchen Belle].
- With Cinnamon Chips & Walnuts: Pumpkin, canola oil, eggs, buttermilk, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon chips and walnuts. [Wives With Knives].
- With White Chocolate: Ingredients include walnuts, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, salt, eggs, pumpkin and white chocolate chips. [Everyday Insanity].
- Rustic: Whole wheat flour, cooking oats, Stevia In The Raw sweetener (or sugar), nutmeg, canned pumpkin, unsweetened applesauce, egg whites and pure vanilla extract. [Sunday Baker].
- With Cheddar: Canned pumpkin puree, sour cream eggs, cayenne pepper, salt, freshly ground black pepper, grated sharp cheddar and pumpkin seeds (optional). [Felicia Sullivan].
- With Chocolate & Oats: Makes 24 mini muffins, ingredients include ground flaxseed, Stevia powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, an egg, milk, pumpkin puree, real chocolate sprinkles and topped with a mixture of oats, chocolate sprinkles and melted butter. [Family Fresh Cooking].
- Strawberries & Cream: Whole milk, almond extract, fresh ripe strawberries, full-fat cream cheese. [Jane's Sweets & Baking Journal].
- Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt: Vegetable oil, plain yogurt, almond extract, chopped rhubarb, strawberries and brown sugar. [A Spicy Perspective].
- Strawberry: Sliced strawberries, low-fat buttermilk, light olive oil (or vegetable oil), a large egg. [Whole Living].
- With Orange: Almonds, freshly grated orange zest, salt, canola oil, nonfat or low-fat buttermilk, orange juice, and fresh or frozen strawberries. [Eating Well].
- With Rhubarb: Ingredients include margarine, buttermilk, rhubarb, strawberries and topped with a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon. [Robin Hood].
- With Oats & Flaxseed: (vegan options included) Made with flour (spelt, whole wheat, flaxseed meal, your choice), oats, sucanat, milk, vanilla, strawberries and sprinkled with rolled oats and flaxseed (optional). [The Chic Life].
- White Chocolate Surprise: Strawberries, white chocolate, self-raising flour, bicarbonate of soda, golden caster sugar, natural yoghurt, milk and granulated sugar. [Sharky Oven Gloves].
- With Nutella: White whole wheat flour, applesauce, an egg, grated zucchini, lemon zest and Nutella. [Life As A Dill].
- Gluten-Free: Grated zucchini, beaten eggs, baking soda, salt, sorghum flour mix, xanthan gum, and nutmeg. [Cooking With My Kid].
- Chocolate: Whole wheat pastry flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, mashed whole banana, unsweetened applesauce, non-dairy milk, vanilla extract, shredded zucchini. [Happy Herbivore].
- With Honey: Ingredients include whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, shredded zucchini, fat-free milk, canola oil, honey, egg. [MyRecipes].
- With Walnuts & Raisins (or dried currants): Canola oil, finely shredded zucchini, walnuts, dried currants or raisins. [Taste of Home].
- French Toast Style: Topped with pieces of cinnamon bread before baking, ingredients include milk, eggs, maple extract, maple syrup and cinnamon. [Framed Cooks].
- Coffee Cake Style: Topped with a streusel mix, ingredients include pure vanilla extract, sour cream. Topping: all purpose flour, dark brown sugar, ground cinnamon, salt and unsalted butter. [Sweet Tooth].
- Cranberry: Has an oatmeal crunch streusel topping, yields about 18. [Twirl And Taste].
- Maple Brown Sugar: Maple syrup, sour cream, egg, vanilla extract and topped with a mixture of all-purpose flour, cinnamon and cold butter. [Cassie Craves].
- Sunshine (sun dried tomatoes): Self rising flour, salt, mozzarella, shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack, eggs, buttermilk, chopped spinach, crumbled bacon (cooked) and finely chopped sundried tomatoes. [KC In The Kitchen].
- Snickerdoodle Donut Style: A can of crescent rolls and a cinnamon sugar mix. [The Domestic Rebel].
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake: Dark brown sugar, chopped pecans, egg substitute, reduced-fat sour cream, water, fresh orange juice. [MyRecipes].
- Blackberry Yogurt: Coconut oil, non-fat plain greek yogurt, milk, a pinch of salt, and fresh blackberries. [Lauren's Latest].
- Gingerbread Version: Ginger, cloves, egg, milk, vegetable oil and molasses. [Confabulation In The Kitchen].
- Triple Berry Cheesecake: A box of moist white cake mix, cream cheese, sour cream, eggs, graham cracker crumbs, nilla wafers, freshly-squeezed lemon juice and berry preserves. [Jessica Burns].
- Peaches & Cream: Self-rising flour,sour cream, canned (sliced) peaches. [Paula Deen].
- Cherry Almond: Yields 12, natural applesauce, almond extract, fresh cherries (pitted and halved), sliced almonds. [Pastry Affair].
- Vanilla Pear: Yields 12, ingredients include nutmeg, salt, eggs, vanilla extract, lemon (or orange) zest, vegetable oil, unsweetened applesauce, thinly sliced ripe pears and sprinkled with granulated sugar. [Pastry Affair].
- Pear & Granola: Ingredients include all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, salt, large eggs, low-fat yogurt, pears, plain granola and topped with a mixture of granola, all-purpose flour, salt and chilled unsalted butter. [Martha Stewart].
Baking a tasty batch of muffins isn’t that difficult but there are a few rules and tips to make sure they turn at as yummy as they can!
- When preparing the ingredients, first mix the wet ingredients in one bowl and the dry ingredients in another. Next make a well in the dry ingredients to hold the wet ingredients and mix everything together. Some recipes may instruct a different method of mixing, follow those directions and make sure to add ingredients in the order instructed.
- Avoid over stirring batter, do not stir or beat until it is smooth and lump free. Batter should be lumpy, your goal is just to moisten the ingredients. You’ll find they will have large holes and a tough texture with overbeating.
- Measure ingredients carefully, level off excess with a knife. Sift flour for best results and use fresh baking soda and powder since these are what they need to rise nicely.
- The trick for keeping nuts and fruit pieces from sinking in the batter while baking are the same as for cakes: Dust nuts and fruit with flour before adding to batter or try toasting nuts first. You can also just sprinkle the nuts across the top of the batter instead of mixing them in, this way the nuts will toast while they bake.
- Don’t fill the cups too full with batter, fill no more than 3/4 full. This will result in nice round tops rather than flat saucer tops. Use an ice cream scoop or other similar scoop to fill your cups, you’ll be sure that the batter is evenly portioned and they will bake uniformly. If you have batter left over, cover the bowl and refrigerate while the first batch bakes.
- To get a nice round top, grease only the bottom and half-way up the sides of the cup. Using a pastry brush is a quick & easy way to grease your tins. You can also use paper liners for easier removal and clean-up.
- If there isn’t enough batter to go around, fill the empty cups 1/2 full with water. This will help them bake evenly and protect the pan. Some suggest saving one of the cups to hold water to help keep them moist and prevent edges from burning while baking.
- Turn on the oven before starting to mix ingredients to make sure the oven is preheated and at the right temperature when ready to bake, place the pan on the middle rack of your oven.
- They are done when the tops are golden and spring back lightly when touched, a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Once they are done baking and you remove them from the oven, let them sit in the tin for a few minutes before removing each one, this helps prevent them from falling apart. Sit the pan on a cool wet towel, this will help them come loose from the cups easier and prevent them from sticking to the bottom. Watch though that you don’t keep them in the tin for too long (about 5 minutes is long enough), they can get soggy if they sit too long in the pan.
- The source of the image tip displayed at the top of the page is from Martha Stewart and found on this page: Crisp Parchment Wrappers.