25+ Potato Salad Recipes To Try
[Updated for 2012] I fired up the barbecue for the first time this year and now I’m on the hunt for this year’s first batch of potato salad–I’m hankering for something new to try.
We’re pretty content with a simple dish made with a light mayonnaise dressing (thinned with a bit of vinegar and sweetened with a healthy pinch of sugar) or sour cream, sliced green onions or chives, a bit of celery and/or radish and a couple chopped hard boiled eggs tossed in (similar to the picture on the right), but I like to jazz things up once in awhile too.
Here’s a great selection of recipes I’ve handpicked from around the ‘net, some even healthified! You’ll find old-fashioned favorites & classics mixed with some interesting new twists. Something here for everyone, enjoy!
- Mustard ‘n Dill: A simple recipe made with sour cream, fresh parsley, country-style Dijon mustard, chopped fresh dill weed (can use dried). From Land O’Lakes.
- Healthified (Classic): Made with chopped eggs (hard-cooked), thinly sliced celery, chopped onion. Dressing ingredients: reduced-fat mayonnaise, fat-free sour cream, yellow mustard, cider vinegar and seasoned with salt and pepper. From Eat Better America.
- Classic: Makes 6 servings (3/4 cup each), ingredients include mayonnaise, sour cream, chopped celery, sliced green onions, mustard seeds and seasoned salt. From McCormick.
- Original: A basic version most of us are familiar with, ingredients include mayo, vinegar, salt, sugar, ground black pepper, thinly sliced celery, chopped onion and hard cooked eggs (optional). From Hellmann’s.
- With Buttermilk Dressing: Made with sliced radishes, chopped green onions, diced sweet yellow peppers. Dressing: buttermilk, low-fat yogurt, fresh dill, vinegar, vegetable oil, Dijon mustard. From CBC.ca.
- With Green Beans: Yields 6 servings, ingredients include fresh green beans (trimmed and snapped), red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, minced garlic, honey, dried thyme, dried dill weed, red onion, baby spinach leaves and wedges of tomato. From House & Home.
- With Creme Fraiche: Only five ingredients! Includes celery, chives, creme fraiche and extra-virgin olive oil. From Country Living.
- Loaded: Made with fresh chives, butter or margarine (melted), sour cream, mayo, milk, cooked real bacon bits, chopped red bell pepper and shredded Cheddar cheese. From Life Made Delicious.
- Salsa Verde: Made with fingerling potatoes, red wine vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, minced shallots, grainy mustard, chopped cornichons, chopped pimento-stuffed green olives, capers and Italian parsley. From Style At Home.
- With Curried Eggs: Ingredients include chopped apples, peeled hard-cooked eggs, celery, green onion, fat free yogurt or sour cream, light mayo, vinegar, mild curry powder. From Eggs.ca.
- Warm With Crab & Swiss Cheese: Made with crab meat, northern shrimp or cooked fish, grated swiss, cooking cream (15% or 18%), parsley, salted herbs and freshly ground pepper. From Dairy Goodness.
- Country: Yields 8 servings (about 1 cup each), made with celery, smoked ham (sliced into strips), fresh parsley, chives and dill (or mint), nonfat buttermilk, lemon juice, peanut or canola oil and 2 large hard-boiled eggs (peeled and coarsely chopped). From Eating Well.
- Lebanese Version: (dairy free) Yields 8 servings and made with lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, thinly sliced scallions and fresh mint. From Eating Well.
- Steakhouse Version: Ingredients include Miracle Whip Dressing, Kraft Rancher’s Choice Dressing, cooked & crumbled bacon, shredded Cheddar and thinly sliced green onions. From Kraft Foods.
- With A Bacon Dressing: Ingredients include bacon, celery, green onions, mayo, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, reserved bacon fat (optional) and hot dog relish. From Chef Michael Smith.
- Greek-Style (with eggs): Makes 4 servings, ingredients include leeks, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, salt, chopped fresh mint, sliced cucumber, hard cooked eggs, cubed feta cheese and black olives. From Fresh Juice.
- Lemony: A bright fresh salad featuring a tangy vinaigrette (olive oil, lemon juice and dry mustard). Also includes thinly sliced green onions and chopped fresh parsley. From My Recipes.
- Greek Style: Made with diced red bell pepper, minced onion, diced cucumber, plain Greek yogurt, dried dill, garlic powder, salt and garnished with a lemon wedge. From Peas & Crayons.
- Madison Dill: Made with minced garlic, white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, sugar, mayo, plain yogurt, green onions, fresh dill, chopped celery. From A Country Farmhouse.
- American Style: Serves 4 to 6, ingredients include cider vinegar, chicken stock, celery, cooked bacon, chopped gherkins, hard boiled eggs (peeled and chopped), Dijon mustard, finely chopped scallions, fresh flat-leaf parsley and mayo. From The Galley Gourmet.
- With Fresh Herbs: (potatoes are diced then roasted rather than boiled) Ingredients include olive oil, Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, dried garlic, dried thyme, dried rosemary, sour cream, mayo, lemon juice, fresh parsley, fresh chives and fresh basil. From Barefeet In The Kitchen.
- Made With Sweet Potatoes: Ingredients include butter, diced sweet onion, green onions, mayo, orange juice, cumin and paprika. From White House Black Shutters.
- Russian Style: Ingredients include mayo, diced and cooked carrots, cooked peas, creme fraiche or crema de leche, grated onion, fresh cilantro or parsley, ground cumin, paprika and juice of lime. From My Colombian Recipes.
- Country Style (with ham): A low calorie version, this is made with hard boiled eggs, celery, red onions, lean smoked ham (cut into bite size pieces), fresh parsley, chives and dill, nonfat buttermilk, non-fat plain Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, lemon juice (freshly squeezed). From LaaLoosh.
- German Style: Yields 8 servings and made with diced bacon, chopped onion, all-purpose flour, celery seed, sugar, cider vinegar, water and minced fresh parsley. From Taste of Home.
- Mayo-Free: Dressing is made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, freshly ground black pepper, minced garlic cloves, red onion, Dijon mustard and minced parsley. From Ciao Chow Linda.
- Lemon & Herb: Serves 6 to 8, ingredients include celery, finely chopped parsley, cilantro, dill, mayo, juice and zest of lemon, balsamic vinegar. From Dragon’s Kitchen.
- Creamy Dijon Dill: Made with celery, mayo, small red onion, chopped fresh dill, white vinegar, juiced lemon, Dijon mustard and hard boiled eggs (roughly chopped). From Cocoa And Cheese.
- Zesty: Made with instant nonfat dry milk, Dijon-style mustard, green beans, red bell pepper and sliced green onions. From Very Best Baking.