Hearty Shepherd’s (Cottage) Pie
Ask ten people how their favorite shepherd’s pie is made and you’ll likely get a varied list of assorted meats and ingredients. This dish is a cold weather comfort food that can be budget friendly (and still tasty) when made with ground beef and topped with leftover mashed potatoes. You can also make it with leftover turkey or with something a little more special like a tasty lamb stew or ground sirloin filling. Some even enjoy a vegetarian version! Whatever kind you’re craving, this handpicked selection of recipes should have just what you’re looking for. Enjoy!
- With Ground Beef or Ground Lamb: Makes 4 servings. Ingredients: potatoes, sour cream or softened cream cheese, an egg yolk, cream (or vegetable or chicken broth), extra-virgin olive oil, ground beef or ground lamb, chopped carrot, onion, butter, all-purpose flour, beef stock or broth, Worcestershire, frozen peas, sweet paprika and fresh parsley. From The Comfort of Cooking.
- Guiness: Made with organic ground beef, frozen mixed vegetables (thawed), dry brown gravy mix, onion, olive oil, Guinness beer, tomato paste, sharp cheddar cheese, baking potatoes, milk, butter, salt and pepper. From The Hungry Housewife.
- Slow Cooker Version: Serves 12, cooks for 4 hours in the slow cooker and topped with mashed potatoes at the end. Ingredients: olive oil, boneless beef chuck (cubes), button mushrooms, yellow onion, garlic cloves, all-purpose flour, Guinness (or other stout beer), beef broth, mushroom demi-glace, bouquet garni, frozen pear onions (thawed), carrots, fresh or frozen peas (thawed), mashed potatoes and grated cheddar cheese. From Williams-Sonoma.
- Steakhouse Style: Made with Idaho potatoes, extra-virgin olive oil, good quality bacon, ground sirloin, onion, button mushrooms, butter, all-purpose flour, beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, egg yolk, sour cream, blue cheese, chives and paprika. From Rachael Ray at Food Network.
- With Leftover Turkey & Roasted Vegetables: Ingredients include butter (or margarine), all-purpose flour, apple juice, chicken broth, roasted vegetables (carrots, onions, parsnips…can use leftovers), flat-leaf parsley and mashed potatoes (can use leftovers). From Delish.
- With Ground Lamb: Makes 8 individual servings or 2 large pies. Ingredients include freshly ground lamb, onion, carrots, tomato paste, flour, Worcestershire sauce, frozen peas (thawed), russet potatoes, milk and butter. From Martha Stewart.
- With Ground Round: Yields 8 servings. Ingredients: ground round, chopped onion, fresh mushrooms (sliced), minced garlic, frozen peas (thawed), beef bouillon granules, salt, dried thyme, freshly ground pepper, all-purpose flour, stewed tomatoes (canned), bay leaf, red wine vinegar, cheese & carrot mashed potatoes (recipe provided). From My Recipes.
- Mini Pies: The topping is made with a squash puree, baked in individual ramekins. Ingredients: extra-virgin olive oil, chopped onion, lean ground beef, all-purpose flour, tomato paste, reduced-sodium beef broth, chopped baby spinach, salt, garlic powder, frozen winter squash puree (thawed) and shredded Parmesan cheese. From Eating Well.
- Vegetarian: Serves 4 – 6, ingredients include chopped onion, button mushrooms, crushed garlic, Du Puy Lentils, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, fresh parsley, diced tomato (canned), water, bay leaves, frozen corn, potatoes, low fat sour cream and soy milk. From The Healthy Foodie.
- Ground Round With Sloppy Joe Mix: Ingredients include potatoes, ground round, Sloppy Joe mix, tomato sauce, frozen peas and carrots, water, milk, butter, salt and canned corn. From Recipe.com.
- Weight Watchers Version: Ingredients include potatoes, fat-free sour cream, reduced-calorie margarine, salt to taste, olive oil, chopped onions, diced carrots, diced celery, ground turkey breast, all-purpose flour, rosemary, thyme and chicken or beef broth. From Weight Watchers.
- With Lamb Stew: Ingredients include a boneless lamb shoulder, olive oil, unsalted butter, diced yellow onion, diced carrots, diced celery, minced garlic, all-purpose flour, beef stock (or broth), dry white wine, fresh rosemary, baking potatoes, heavy cream and fresh or frozen (thawed) peas. From Williams-Sonoma.