Sloppy joes are a work-night favorite since they’re easy to make, taste great and don’t bust the grocery budget (and the kiddos love them too). You probably already have a favorite, tried ‘n true recipe but here are some pretty fun ways you can jazz things up a bit. If you’ve never tried one before, you’ll soon discover why they’re called “Sloppy” ;).
How about trying them Southwestern style, Philly cheesesteak style or in a casserole (or pot pie). You can make the sauce from scratch or from a can, use ground beef or turkey and make them big or small (sliders).
Here is my handpicked collection of recipes from around the ‘net, there’s sure to be a new favorite in the bunch. Some are even healthified! Enjoy!
*These all contain ground beef and onions unless otherwise noted
- Southwestern Style : Makes 4 sandwiches and served with a Honey-Lime Coleslaw on hamburger buns. Ingredients: ground turkey breast, minced onion, ketchup, canned corn kernels, canned black beans (drained & rinsed), diced green chiles, brown sugar, mustard, ground cumin, salt to taste and shredded Monterey Jack cheese. From Very Culinary.
- The Best : These can be frozen. Made with tomato paste, smoky BBQ sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, ground black pepper and served on potato rolls. From Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
- Bombay : Homemade sauce is made with refined coconut oil (or vegetable oil), minced ginger, minced garlic cloves, jalapeno (seeded & finely minced), garam masala, paprika, tomato sauce and water. Meat mixture: cumin seeds, red onion, bell pepper (red, orange or yellow), diced zucchini, jalapeno pepper, ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, etc.), honey. Serve with roasted pistachios (or almonds, walnuts), chopped fresh cilantro and hamburger buns. From Natural Noshing.
- Potato Topped Casserole : Yields 6 servings. Ingredients: green pepper, all-purpose flour, sauce, frozen corn (thawed and drained), water, mashed potatoes (flakes), garlic salt, black pepper, sour cream, egg, shredded Cheddar cheese and chopped parsley. From Pillsbury.
- Lunch Lady Style : Served over cheese sticks placed inside hot dog buns. Ingredients: bacon fat or olive oil (for sauteing), ground round, sweet onion, garlic clove, tomato sauce, water, Ancho chili powder, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, mozzarella string cheese sticks and hot dog buns. From Simply Scratch.
- Summer Squash Veggie : Serves approximately 6. Ingredients: soy crumbles, extra virgin olive oil, chopped carrot, celery stalk, summer squash, tomato paste, water, garlic cloves, chili powder, paprika, dried oregano, salt and pepper (to taste), grated cheese, hamburger buns or toasted focaccia rolls. From The Curvy Carrot.
- Pot Pie : Made with ground beef, turkey or chicken, diced onion, can of Manwich, shredded cheddar cheese, baking mix (ie. Bisquick), milk and an egg. From Real Mom Kitchen.
- Richard’s Version : A mildly hot dish, ingredients include canned diced tomatoes, ketchup, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, chopped pickled jalapenos (optional), liquid from pickled jalapenos and toasted hamburger buns. From MyRecipes.
- Philly Cheesesteak Style : Ingredients include olive oil, green pepper, steak sauce, beef stock, salt & ground black pepper, dinner rolls, butter, flour, milk and shredded provolone. From A Taste of Home Cooking.
- 30-Minute Rotini : Made with uncooked rotini pasta, frozen whole kernel corn, water, sliced zucchini and sauce. From Betty Crocker.
- Biscuit Cups : Makes 8 servings. Ingredients: garlic cloves, red bell pepper, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, brown sugar, refrigerated buttermilk biscuits and shredded pepper Jack or Cheddar cheese. From Pillsbury.
- Cornbread Bake : Serves 6. Made with ground round (85% lean), Manwich sauce, corn muffin mix, fat free milk, Fleischmann’s spread and egg beaters. From Ready Set Eat.
- Casserole : Serves 4. Ingredients include sliced green onions, sauce, canned whole kernel corn with red & green peppers, Pillsbury refrigerated flaky biscuits. From Betty Crocker.
- Casserole : Just four ingredients! Lean ground beef, sauce, refrigerated original breadsticks and shredded Cheddar cheese. From Pillsbury.
- Made With Lentils : Makes 4-6 servings, ingredients include green lentils, water, Kosher salt, olive oil, diced green pepper, diced garlic, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar and maple syrup. From Back To Her Roots.
- Stew : Made with onion, chopped green pepper, water, whole kernel corn, condensed tomato soup, sugar Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce. From Taste of Home.
- Skillet Meal : Made with canned sauce, shredded Cheddar cheese, biscuit baking mix (Pioneer, Jiffy or Bisquick), eggs, milk and sesame seeds (optional). From Mommy’s Kitchen.
- Vegan Sliders : Ingredients include canola oil, green bell pepper, celery stalk, garlic, meatless veggie crumbles, tomato sauce, ketchup, vegan Worcestershire sauce, sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, mini hamburger buns and pickle slices (optional). From The Tolerant Vegan.
- Sliders : Made with catsup, prepared mustard, Worcestershire sauce, canned tomato sauce and served on whole wheat rolls. From Salad In A Jar.
- Calzones : Ingredients include green pepper, black beans (canned), tomato paste, water, ketchup, dried oregano, salt, refrigerated crescent rolls and shredded Cheddar cheese. From Taste of Home.
- Cups : A fun and different way to enjoy these guys, this is made with 2 cans of refrigerated biscuit dough, sauce and shredded cheddar cheese. From Favorite Family Recipes.