25+ Snack Mixes & Munchies For Casual Entertaining
Are you always on the lookout for new ideas for munchie treats? For something simple, simply toss together your choice of nuts, dried fruit pieces, small chocolates, raisins…you can’t go wrong with your favorites and no need to worry about exact measurements.
For more ideas, here are over two dozen tasty recipes that are a hit for movie nights, children’s parties, tailgating and casual entertaining…some sweet, some spicy and all crunchy…lots to choose from! These are great for gift-giving…simply package in jars, boxes or bags, add a bit of decorative ribbon and label.
First, here are the instructions for making Monkey Munch that I originally had on its own page but have moved here for better organization (first published July 9th, 2008). If you watch the tv show Jon & Kate Plus 8 on TLC, you know what this is ;). If not, it’s a treat that both the kids and parents just love (I also included a lemon buddies version below). Here’s the recipe:
9 cups Chex (any variety)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Measure cereal into a large bowl & set aside.
- Heat chocolate, peanut butter and the butter over low heat until melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour the melted mixture over the cereal and stir until evenly coated.
- Pour into a 2 gallon ziploc bag and add powdered sugar, seal bag.
- Shake bag until everything’s well coated then spread on waxed paper to cool.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container.
- Place the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a microwaveable bowl and melt uncovered on High for 1 minute. Stir.
- Microwave for another 30 seconds or until mixture is stirred smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Follow the rest of the directions as above in the Stove Method.
Source. Ready for more ideas? Here ya go…(note: ingredients listed in the descriptions are a summary only, not a complete list)
Crunchy Sweet: Crispy corn & rice cereal, light corn syrup, baking soda, peanuts and/or candy-coated chocolate pieces.
Graham Nut Clusters: Honey grahams, honey-roasted peanuts, pecans, light corn syrup, pretzel sticks.
Crunch-Crunch-Crunch: Dried cherries, whole-grain Rice Chex, pistachios and Kashi Go Lean Crunch.
Nutty with Cayenne: Rice Chex, pecans, walnuts, pretzels and cayenne pepper.
Rolo Pretzel Bites: Another easy snack with just three ingredients: Rolos, pretzels and pecan halves.
Confetti: Golden Grahams, dry roasted peanuts, dried bananas, raisins and M&Ms.
Spiced Glazed Nuts & Pretzels: Assorted nuts, cinnamon, chile or red pepper powder, maple syrup, sea salt and pretzel twists.
Sweet-Tooth: Pretzel sticks, Multigrain Cheerios, mini-marshmallows, M&Ms and raisins.
Oven Baked: Cheese crackers, pecan halves, roasted garlic ranch dressing, oat Os, pretzel sticks, unsalted peanuts.
Honey Roasted: Cashews, peanuts and almonds (unsalted), honey, sea salt, mini gluten free pretzels, coconut sugar (or granulated).
With Mini-Candy Bar Pieces: Mini-pretzels, dry milk, powder, mini bars (Reese’s, etc.).
Coated With Ceasar Dressing: You’ll need oyster crackers, Chex, pretzels, dried cranberries, cashews, margarine and Caesar dressing.
Roasted almonds are also a crunchy treat, here are 4 ways you can make it in the microwave:
1 cup almonds
1 tsp butter (melted)
- Toss to evenly coat, microwave for 2 minutes. Cool, then eat.
- Lightly coat almonds with oil and arrange on a plate (single layer). Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir, sit for a minute and heat again until they are golden brown (approximately 2 minutes).
Topping Ideas (optional):
After cooking, try sprinkling them with a topping. Ideas:
- garlic powder
- seasoning salt
- Blend of cloves, cinnamon, allspice
- white sugar, salt, cinnamon
- brown sugar, cinnamon
With Honey – #3
3 cups almonds
1/2 cup honey
2 TBS butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp grated orange peel
- Combine and microwave 3 minutes on high, stir, then heat for another 3 minutes.
Sweet & Spicy – #4
1 cup almonds
2 TBS hot sauce
2 tsp white sugar
- Combine items until almonds are well coated. Spread in a single layer on a microwavable dish and heat 1 minute. Stir, and heat again for 1 to 2 minutes.
(first published December 20, 2006 and moved to this page for better organization)