25+ Tasty Things To Make With Squash
Posted By Tipnut On July 29, 2010 @ 1:07 pm In Recipes | 2 Comments
We never had squash growing up so I was a bit unsure about it, but after summoning up my courage and giving it a try, I’m a huge fan! It’s very easy to cook  and does well in quite a variety of dishes (as you can see below).
A simple yet delicious way to make it is to roast it (as seen in the image), simply cut in half, remove the seeds, cut pieces in half again, coat with olive oil and place on a baking sheet face up. Sprinkle with coarse salt, pepper and herbs of your choice. Roast at 400°F for 30 minutes, turn pieces then roast for another 30 minutes (directions taken from the page noted above). Can’t get any easier than that!
This week’s Recipe Hit List features a tasty bunch of ideas that I’ve handpicked from around the net. If you’re looking for some inspiration, this is the list for you. Enjoy!
*These are made with butternut squash unless otherwise noted.
- Easy Spicy Roasted : Made with small diced red chillies, coriander seeds, garlic cloves, fresh rosemary, good-quality smoked back bacon, olive oil and coriander seeds. From Jamie Oliver.
- Casserole : (yellow) Made with chopped onion, buttery round crackers (ie. Ritz), shredded Cheddar cheese, beaten eggs, milk, butter and seasonings. Found at Southern Plate.
- Moroccan-Style Stuffed : (acorn) Ingredients include extra-virgin olive oil, ground chuck, cinnamon, nutmeg, coarse salt, finely chopped onion, garlic cloves, bulgur wheat, water, golden raisins, Italian flat-leaf parsley and toasted pine nuts. Found at The Bitten Word.
- Lasagna : Yields 8 servings, made with lasagna sheets, caramelized onion, honey, thyme sprigs, Tabasco, tomato paste, freshly grated nutmeg, ricotta cheese, sharp yellow Cheddar, mozzarella, Parmesan, unsalted butter, all-purpose flour, warm milk and curly parsley leaves for garnish. From Pham Fatale.
- Pasta Casserole : Made with dried rosemary, hickory-smoked bacon, sliced shallots, uncooked mini penne, all-purpose flour, 2% reduced-fat milk, shredded sharp provolone and grated fresh Parmesan. From MyRecipes.
- Couscous : Ingredients include sliced almonds, chopped onions, minced garlic cloves, cayenne, grated nutmeg, cinnamon, diced tomatoes (canned), raisins, canned low-sodium chicken broth (or homemade stock), canned chickpeas, fresh parsley, water and couscous. From Food & Wine.
- Roasted with Parmigiano-Reggiano : (spaghetti) Made with olive oil, Kosher salt, garlic cloves, finely chopped shallot, finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Found at Chow.
- Casserole With Macaroni : Serves 8, ingredients include a thinly sliced large yellow onion, a can of coconut milk, chopped sage, dried elbow macaroni, chopped toasted walnuts and bread crumbs. From Whole Foods Market.
- With Bacon & Garlic : (spaghetti) Made with strips of applewood smoked bacon, garlic, olive oil, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. From Three Squares.
- With Pecans and Blue Cheese : Made with fresh or dried thyme, pecans, Roquefort (or other blue cheese), salt and freshly ground black pepper. Found at Tea and Wheaten Bread.
- Quesadillas with Apple Salsa : (acorn) Yields 2 servings, ingredients include chopped onion, spinach, garlic, cooked beans (pinto, black, kidney), cumin, shredded cheddar, large tortillas. Salsa is made with a crisp apple, cilantro, onion, fresh lemon or lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. Found at Chocolate Chip Trips.
- Tacos with Spicy Black Beans : Made with white onion, cumin, coriander, ancho chile powder, salt, minced garlic, skinned, seeded and chopped tomatoes (or a can of fire roast diced tomatoes), cans of black beans, jalapenos, serrano chile, cilantro, small corn tortillas, crumbled cojita cheese (or feta) and wedges of lime. Found at DigginFood.
- Curry-Roasted : Made with a can of chickpeas, mild curry powder, cayenne pepper, plain whole-milk yogurt, cilantro and fresh lemon juice. Found at Food & Wine.
- Gratin : Ingredients include Yukon gold potatoes, a pinch of nutmeg, grated garlic, heavy cream and shredded Gruyere. From Hungry Cravings.
- With Quinoa & Pumpkin Seeds : Serves 4, ingredients include quinoa, red onion, chili powder, water or vegetable stock, pumpkin seeds, baby spinach and dried cranberries. From Cooking Lessons.
- Roasted with Cilantro Cream : Ingredients include unsalted pumpkin seeds, minced garlic, red onions, large scallions, cumin, hot paprika, cinnamon, whole tomatoes (canned), sour cream, milk, cilantro and fresh lime juice. From Food & Wine.
- Roasted With Mint : (acorn or butternut) Made with shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas), aged balsamic vinegar and torn fresh mint leaves. From Bon Appetit.
- Southwestern Stuffed : (acorn) Makes 6 servings, ingredients include bulk turkey sausage, a small onion, medium red bell pepper, garlic clove, chili powder, ground cumin, chopped cherry tomatoes, a can of black beans, hot red pepper sauce and shredded Swiss cheese. From Eating Well.
- With String Beans : (summer varieties) Made with green and/or yellow wax beans, minced garlic, reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, dried marjoram (or fresh). From Eating Well.
- With Jalapeno Cream : (spaghetti) Ingredients include milk, jalapenos, butter, flour and shredded jack cheese. From My Recipes.
- Vanilla Walnut : Made with walnuts, coconut oil, grated ginger, vanilla extract, lemon juice and dried thyme. From Sweet Cheeks.
- Garden Stuffed : (crookneck or straightneck varieties) Made with green bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, sharp Cheddar, Italian bread crumbs, slices of bacon. From Farm Flavor.
- Breakfast Hash : Made with diced tart apples, chopped onion, bacon/prosciutto, chopped scallions, coarse ground salt, fresh cracked pepper. From Urban Poser.
- Risotto : Ingredients include finely chopped garlic, Arborio rice, dry white wine, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, fresh thyme, grated Romano. From Woman’s Day.
- Creamy, Light Macaroni & Cheese : Made with fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth, fat-free milk, garlic cloves, fat-free Greek yogurt, shredded Gruyere cheese, grated pecorino Romano cheese, fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano, uncooked cavatappi, panko and chopped fresh parsley. From MyRecipes.
- With Sausage & Greens : (spaghetti) Made with grated Parmesan, sweet Italian sausage, spinach and crushed red pepper. From Rachael Ray.
- Mushroom & Gruyere Tart : Ingredients include unsalted butter, shallot, assorted mushrooms, sherry vinegar, freshly grated nutmeg, all-purpose flour (for dusting), chilled all-butter puff pastry, large egg yolks, creme fraiche, Gruyere cheese and chopped thyme. From Food & Wine.
- With Parmesan : Made with olive oil, onion, chicken broth and grated Parmesan. From Kraft Foods.
- Zucchini Noodles : Served with chicken breasts and a tangy peanut sauce, ribbons of zucchini, squash and carrot are briefly blanched and used as the “pasta”. From Kitchen Confidante.
Article printed from TipNut.com: http://tipnut.com
URL to article: http://tipnut.com/squash-dishes/
URLs in this post:
 very easy to cook: http://tipnut.com/cook-squash/
 Easy Spicy Roasted: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/spicy-roasted-squash
 Casserole: http://www.southernplate.com/2008/07/how-to-make-squash-casserole.html
 Moroccan-Style Stuffed: http://thebittenword.typepad.com/thebittenword/2009/10/moroccanstyle-stuffed-acorn-squash.html
 Lasagna: http://www.phamfatale.com/id_1880/title_Butternut-Squash-Lasagna-Recipe/
 Pasta Casserole: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-butternut-squash-bacon-pasta-10000000592277/
 Couscous: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/butternut-squash-couscous
 Roasted with Parmigiano-Reggiano: http://www.chow.com/recipes/13563-roasted-spaghetti-squash-with-parmigiano-reggiano
 Casserole With Macaroni: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/butternut-squash-and-macaroni-casserole
 With Bacon & Garlic: http://rikishore.com/2011/11/spaghetti-squash-with-bacon-and-garlic/
 With Pecans and Blue Cheese: http://teandwheatenbread.blogspot.com/2008/09/butternut-squash-with-pecans-and-blue.html
 Quesadillas with Apple Salsa: http://chocolatechiptrips.blogspot.com/2009/11/acorn-squash-quesadillas-with-apple.html
 Tacos with Spicy Black Beans: http://www.digginfood.com/2008/11/butternut-squash-tacos-with-spicy-black-beans/
 Curry-Roasted: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/curry-roasted-butternut-squash-and-chickpeas
 Gratin: http://www.hungrycravings.com/2010/10/deep-breath-and-potato-gratin-variation.html
 With Quinoa & Pumpkin Seeds: http://www.sallypasleyvargas.com/2010/02/people-they-eat-with-their-eyes-quinoa.html
 Roasted with Cilantro Cream: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/roasted-butternut-squash-with-cilantro-cream
 Roasted With Mint: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/11/roasted-squash-with-mint-and-toasted-pumpkin-seeds
 Southwestern Stuffed: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/southwestern_stuffed_acorn_squash.html
 With String Beans: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/string_beans_summer_squash.html
 With Jalapeno Cream: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-with-jalapeo-cream-10000001842378/
 Vanilla Walnut: http://www.sweetcheekshq.com/2010/11/love.html
 Garden Stuffed: http://farmflavor.com/garden-stuffed-yellow-squash/
 Breakfast Hash: http://urbanposer.blogspot.ca/2012/01/apple-butternut-squash-bacon-breakfast.html
 Risotto: http://www.womansday.com/recipefinder/butternut-squash-risotto-recipe-122820
 Creamy, Light Macaroni & Cheese: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/creamy-light-macaroni-cheese-50400000115195/
 With Sausage & Greens: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/budget-recipes/spaghetti-squash-with-sausage-and-greens
 Mushroom & Gruyere Tart: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/mushroom-butternut-squash-and-gruyere-tart
 With Parmesan: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/butternut-squash-parmesan-118967.aspx
 Zucchini Noodles: http://kitchenconfidante.com/guest-post-cilantropist-zucchini-noodles-with-chicken-and-tangy-peanut-sauce-recipe
Click here to print.