15 Ways To Make Stuffed Cabbage
Growing up we enjoyed homemade cabbage rolls for special holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter, but I wished we had them more often. It wasn’t until I was older and making them myself that I understood why they aren’t an every day dish…these guys take a bit of time and effort to make! They’re so good though that they’re worth the effort involved and everyone looks forward to seeing them on the dinner table.
Today’s Recipe Hit List shares a number of different recipes that I’ve handpicked from around the ‘net, who knew there were so many ways to make this tasty treat! I also included a couple “lazy style” versions that are really easy to make & bake (no rolling & stuffing involved), you’ll find those tucked in at the bottom.
Quick question: We always made fairly large rolls but our Ukrainian friends insisted that they had to be small and thin or they weren’t the “real deal” (and Baba wouldn’t even acknowledge them, lol). So how do you make them? Nice ‘n small or nice ‘n big? I enjoy them smaller but only if I’m not the one filling and rolling them .
*These are all made with rice and ground beef unless otherwise noted
- Simple Holubtsi: Made with pork sausage (mild or spicy), diced yellow onions, chicken stock and olive oil. From Brooklyn Baba.
- Grandma’s Version (with potatoes & carrots): Made with cubed potatoes, carrots, tomato sauce. From The Good Eatah.
- Galumpkis: Ingredients include extra-virgin olive oil, chopped yellow onion, minced garlic cloves, tomato paste, dry red wine, chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, ground beef and pork, an egg and seasonings. Sweet & sour tomato sauce is made with extra-virgin olive oil, garlic cloves, crushed tomatoes, white wine vinegar, sugar and seasonings. From What’s Cookin, Chicago?
- Pigs-In-A-Blanket: Ingredients include extra lean ground turkey, minced garlic, sweet onion, diced zucchini, chopped baby spinach, diced celery, dried parsley, basil and oregano, condensed tomato soup, diced tomatoes (canned), seasonings. From Green Lite Bites.
- Easy Version: Made with butter, diced red onion, garlic cloves, celery, dried parsley, beaten egg, ground turkey, turkey or chicken stock, canned tomato puree, sour cream or plain yogurt (for topping). From The Culinary Life.
- Sweet & Sour: Made with chopped onion, minced garlic, lemon juice, lean ground turkey, chopped fresh dill, caraway seeds, salt, freshly ground pepper, tomato sauce, chicken broth and honey. From Eating Well.
- With Corned Beef: Made with corned beef brisket, quartered onion, Russet potatoes, an egg, salt, fresh parsley and mustard (for serving). From Whole Foods Market.
- With Ground Pork, Beef & Rice: Made with unsalted butter, chopped onion and garlic, dried parsley flakes, grated green pepper, chopped celery, tomato puree, Granny Smith apple (peeled, cored and chopped), sour cream (for garnish). From Martha Stewart.
- With Basil White Wine Cream Sauce: Ingredients include ground turkey, grated asiago cheese, grated Parmesan or romano cheese, onion, minced garlic, diced red pepper, grated lemon zest, fresh parsley and basil. Sauce ingredients include shallots, butter, white wine, chicken broth, cream, fresh basil, salt and pepper to taste. From Proud Italian Cook.
- With Sauerkraut: Ingredients include canned sauerkraut, cored cabbage, lean minced meat, breadcrumbs, eggs, chopped red tomatoes, beef stock, tomato paste, chopped onion, minced garlic, thyme, paprika (or dried red chili) and seasonings. From Cooking Etcetera.
- With Sauerkraut: Ingredients include onion, an egg, salt, pepper, sauerkraut (optional), olive oil, canned crushed tomatoes, ketchup (optional). From Vanessa Barrington.
- With Ground Turkey & Beef: Ingredients include garlic powder, ketchup, an egg, onion, dried cranberries. Sauce ingredients include can diced tomatoes, canned tomato sauce, onion, garlic powder, ketchup, fresh lemon juice and brown sugar. From A Big Mouthful.
- With Sauerkraut & Cauliflower: Ingredients include diced onion, pressed garlic cloves, an egg, olive oil, parsley, ground pork (or beef or chicken), tomato sauce, honey, steamed cauliflower (or rice) and sauerkraut. From Comfy Belly.
- Lazy Style: Made with onion, minced garlic, canned crushed tomatoes, water, can mushroom soup, nutmeg and Worcestershire sauce. From Food and Whine.
- Layered Bake: Made with dried minced onion, seasonings of choice (smoked paprika, garlic salt, black pepper, etc.), pasta sauce, water, Parmesan (for serving). From Big Red Kitchen.