Here’s a simple recipe for sweet and sour sauce that my family enjoys but if you’re looking for something different, I’ve also added over a dozen different dishes you can try (for chicken, pork and meatballs…including a couple interesting slow cooker recipes).
First, here’s the sauce I make for spareribs but it can be used for any kind of meat:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
2 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp salt
- Cut & brown ribs under the broiler (both sides), pour off fat.
- Mix ingredients together in a bowl, add 1/2 cup water to the meat then pour sauce over top.
- Cover and bake ribs for one hour at 350°, when the meat is done it will be tender and pull off the bones easily with a fork.
- Notes: I usually double the recipe so there’s lots of sauce (it’s delicious on rice), just make sure to double the water amount too.
Looking for something a little different? Here’s a collection that I’ve put together from my bookmarks, I’ve separated them into groups for easier browsing. Some are simple and basic, others are loaded with tasty ingredients. Enjoy!
- Saucy Pieces : (breast halves, thighs, drumsticks) Ingredients include frozen lemonade concentrate (thawed), brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, cornstarch, cold water and salt. From Better Homes & Gardens.
- Slow Cooker : Made with onion, carrot, celery, boneless skinless chicken thighs, brown sugar, Kraft Catalina Dressing, reduced-sodium soy sauce, grated ginger root, pineapple chunks (in juice), green and red pepper and hot cooked instant white rice. From Kraft Foods.
- Fried Then Baked : Ingredients include sugar, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic powder. Chicken is tossed in cornstarch, dipped in egg and then fried before covering with sauce and baking. From Cake & Allie.
- Topped With Cashews : Made with minced garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper, onion, celery, red bell pepper, pineapple chunks (with juice), reduced-sodium soy sauce, dry sherry, cornstarch, brown sugar and dry-roasted chopped cashews. From My Recipes.
- Asian-Style : Ingredients include low-sodium soy sauce, raw honey, minced garlic, grated fresh ginger, crushed red pepper flakes, red & green bell peppers, yellow onion, fresh pineapple, fresh cilantro and served over cooked brown rice (optional). From Clean Eating.
- Lion House Version : Made with soy sauce, chicken broth, cornstarch, vinegar, ketchup, garlic salt, pepper and sugar. From Get Off Your Butt and Bake.
- Slow Cooker : Uses ready-made, frozen meatballs, grape jelly and chili sauce. That’s it! From My Blessed Life.
- Ground Beef (uses cranberry sauce) : Ingredients include shredded whole-grain bread, lean ground beef, chopped parsley, milk, ground nutmeg, pepper, salt, whole-berry cranberry sauce, cider vinegar, dark-brown sugar and low-sodium soy sauce. From Country Living.
- Bacon Wrapped : Ingredients include ground pork, crustless white bread, milk, salt, garlic powder, ground pepper, bacon, pineapple chunks (with heavy syrup), cornstarch, brown sugar, salt, rice wine vinegar, garlic powder, fresh ginger, ketchup. From Cooking On The Side.
- Sweet, Hot & Sour : Yields 48 meatballs, ingredients: egg, dry bread crumbs, onion, milk, salt, black pepper, bulk pork sausage, ground beef, apple jelly, spicy brown mustard, whisky or apple juice, Worcestershire sauce and a few dashes of bottled hot pepper sauce. From Better Homes & Gardens.
- Ground Beef (with tomatoes) : Ingredients include Italian-style tomatoes (canned), beef broth, chopped onion, brown sugar, minced garlic, fresh lemon juice, lean ground beef, fresh breadcrumbs, eggs and seasonings. From Epicurious.
- Chinese Version : Pork tenderloin is cut into bite size pieces and marinated then covered in batter and fried. Sauce ingredients: tomato ketchup, plum sauce, Chinese rice vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, oyster sauce, corn starch, sugar and water. From Rasa Malaysia.
- Pork Loin Ribs (or spareribs) : Ingredients include sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, ketchup, cider vinegar and cold water. From Taste of Home.
- Spare Ribs : Ribs are cut into serving size pieces, covered with water and vinegar then simmered for an hour before draining, adding sauce and baking. Ingredients include vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, pepper, flour, brown sugar, cornstarch and pineapple chunks (optional). From Canadian Living.