This hearty dish featuring canned tuna, pasta (noodles) and a creamy sauce is a family favorite, especially popular during the cold winter months as a comfort food and during Lent as a meat-free dish. This is easy to prepare and many typically use simple ingredients that are found readily stocked in the pantry (though you can experiment and get a little fancy if you like).
Today’s Recipe Hit List features a collection of tuna casseroles that I’ve handpicked from around the ‘net, some are quick and easy to make using canned soups while others are made from scratch. Though this dish is a definite diet-buster, you’ll find a few healthifed versions included to help make it a little more guilt-free. Enjoy!
Quick Tip: Whether the recipe calls for it or not, try sprinkling a buttery bread crumb mixture over top during the last 5 to 7 minutes of cooking time, it really does add to the dish. The standard ratio is 1 part melted butter to 2 parts dried crumbs, a family size casserole would need about 4 tablespoons of bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons melted butter (tweak as you like).
- Crowd-Pleasing : Ingredients include Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup, milk, frozen peas, medium egg noodles (cooked and drained), dry bread crumbs, melted butter. From Campbell’s Kitchen.
- Mediterranean Style : Ingredients include olive oil, wide egg noodles, red bell peppers, flour, whole milk, canned artichoke hearts, sliced scallions and grated Parmesan. From Martha Stewart.
- Cheesy : Ingredients include egg noodles, butter, sliced celery, chopped onion, milk, canned cream of mushroom soup, thawed frozen peas, sour cream, cubed American cheese, diced pimiento, shoestring potatoes or crushed potato chips, salt and pepper. From Land O’Lakes.
- No Bake Version : Ingredients include wagon wheel, macaroni or medium shell macaroni, milk, light semi-soft cheese with cucumber and dill or garlic and herb, salt and pepper. From Better Homes And Gardens.
- Tuna-Melt : Ingredients include corkscrew pasta (or medium shell pasta), broccoli flowerets, margarine (or butter), flour, salt, pepper, reduced-fat milk, shredded Swiss cheese, chunk light tuna (canned), fresh tomatoes. From Delish.
- With Alfredo Pasta Sauce : Ingredients include Alfredo pasta sauce, eggs, chopped garlic, tricolor rotelle pasta, frozen chopped broccoli (thawed), seasoned croutons. From Betty Crocker.
- Macaroni & Cheese Style : Ingredients include macaroni and cheese (package), can cream of celery soup, milk, shredded cheddar cheese, fresh parsley (optional). From Taste Of Home.
- Gourmet : Ingredients include olive oil, penne or ziti, red onion, red pepper flakes, white wine, canned cannellini beans, cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, juice & zest from lemons, chopped parsley, chopped basil, capers and oregano. From The Amateur Gourmet.
- Skillet Version : Ingredients include whole-wheat egg noodles, olive oil, chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, dry white wine, flour, nonfat milk, frozen peas (thawed), grated Parmesan cheese, dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs, seasonings. From Eating Well.
- With Lemon & Crushed Oyster Crackers : Ingredients include dried pasta, olive oil, chopped celery, chopped onion, Dijon mustard, hot sauce, lemon juice, flour, chicken broth, crushed oyster crackers, butter and seasonings. From Iowa Girl Eats.
- Farfalle and Tuna : Ingredients include dry breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan, bow-tie pasta, Alfredo sauce, green onions, frozen peas (thawed), dried oregano, grated lemon peel, fresh lemon juice. From Epicurious.
- With Whole Wheat Pasta : Ingredients include whole wheat penne, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, butter, grated garlic cloves, chopped onion, flour, chicken stock, milk or half-and-half, chopped flat-leaf parsley, grated Parmigiano Reggiano, canned cannellini beans, frozen spinach (thawed) and seasonings. From Rachael Ray Show.
- Southwestern Style : Ingredients include olive oil, chopped onion, frozen corn (thawed), cream of mushroom soup, tomato salsa, chili powder, whole wheat pasta and shredded cheddar. Found at Oprah.com
- Light But Hearty : Serves 4, ingredients include uncooked yolk-free noodles, reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, fat-free milk, reduced-fat mayonnaise, ground mustard, albacore white tuna in water, sliced mushrooms and chopped roasted sweet red pepper. Topping made with dry bread crumbs, melted butter, paprika, Italian seasoning and pepper. From Taste of Home.
- Healthier Version : Serves 6 to 8, made with whole wheat or rice penne pasta, unsalted butter, white button mushrooms, chopped garlic, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, arrowroot, chicken stock, heavy cream, frozen peas (thawed) and grated cheddar. Topping made with whole wheat or gluten free sandwich bread and unsalted butter (melted). From Healthy Green Kitchen.
- Tuna & Noodles : Yields 6, ingredients include wide egg noodles, olive oil, chopped yellow onion, chopped carrot, all-purpose flour, fat-free milk, less-fat cream cheese (softened), Dijon mustard, frozen peas (thawed), grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and canned albacore tuna in water (drained and flaked). From My Recipes.