Zucchini fresh from the garden is bountiful this time of year and making batches of bread is a favorite way to use up the harvest. It freezes well, usually only requires basic ingredients and turns out a dense, moist loaf.
You can enjoy it with afternoon coffee or slice it up for dessert for a satisfying treat.
This Hit List is a collection I’ve handpicked from around the net and features many different ways you can make it including Traditional/Basic, Chocolate, Pineapple, Spiced and a few healthy versions too (including whole wheat flour).
- Special : Yields two 1 pound loaves, includes chopped walnuts, poppy seeds, lemon zest, crystallized ginger, whole wheat pastry flower and more. From 101 Cookbooks.
- Basic : Made with white and brown sugar, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and powder, flour and chopped nuts. From Hoosier Homemade.
- With Cream Cheese Frosting : Includes pecans or walnuts, a grated raw apple, coconut. From Joy Of Baking.
- Chocolate : Much of the oil is replaced with a fruit-based fat replacement (ie. unsweetened applesauce). Found at Eating Well.
- Chocolate with Cherries : Includes plain yogurt, eggs or an equivalent egg substitute, chocolate chips and a half cup of sweet dark fresh cherries. From Feeding My Enthusiasms.
- Chocolate Chip : (yields 2) Orange zest, semisweet chocolate chips, chopped pecans. From Paula Deen.
- Whole Wheat Flour : Applesauce, mini chocolate chips, both white and whole wheat flour. From Home Joys.
- Pineapple : A can of crushed pineapple (drained), chopped nuts, raisins, vegetable oil. Found at Taste Of Home.
- Lightened Up : Promises to have a crunchy crust, has unsweetened applesauce, canola oil, unsweetened crushed pineapple (drained) and chopped walnuts. From Taste Of Home.
- Gluten Free : Nice and dense, includes brown sugar, tapioca, white rice and sorghum flours, arrowroot powder, xantham gum and unsweetened applesauce. From Jenn Cuisine.
- Fat Free : (incorporates whole wheat flour or spelt) Can also be used to make muffins. From Happy Herbivore.
- With Flaxseed : Chalk full of whole grains, super-powered flaxseed, tangy yogurt. From The Kitchen Sink Recipes.
- Lemon : Grated lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, unsalted butter, grated nutmeg. From The Spiced Life.
- Spice : Ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves. From Martha Stewart.
- Cheddar : Shredded sharp Cheddar, scallions, fresh parsley, fresh dill, buttermilk. Found at Honey & Jam.
- Cranberry Coconut : Applesauce, shredded coconut, dried cranberries, cloves. The Kitchen Magpie.
- Blueberry : Made with both all-purpose and whole wheat flour, low-fat Greek yogurt and frozen blueberries. From Sweet Happy Life.