I remember the first time I was offered a slice of chocolate zucchini cake (years ago) and thinking “this has to be a joke”–but after that first (tentative) bite, I was hooked! Zucchini provides a rich moistness to cakes that bakers can’t resist and I encourage you to try it if you haven’t already. This week’s Recipe Hit List is a collection of nearly a dozen recipes I’ve found online that uses zucchini as an ingredient for a variety of different cakes–each one sounds so delicious! If you grow this vegetable in your garden, you’ll know that it gives and gives and gives some more…I’m sure you’ll have lots on hand to give each recipe a try ;). Enjoy!
*Note: Descriptions below are quotes from the sources
- Sourdough Style : Yesterday, faced with my sourdough cast-off and some frozen zucchini I came up with the following recipe. It was pretty yummy if I do say so myself. I think a little sweet, spicy glaze would be awesome drizzled over the top. Found at Two Frog Home.
- Lemon-Zucchini Pound Cake : Now I got 2/3 of the way into making the cake and realized that I HAD NO LEMONS in the house so I substituted limes – I think it worked out very well. Found at Cook. Craft. Enjoy.
- Pound Cake  (with cinnamon sugar crust and vanilla cream glaze) This recipe adds a few things extra to actually put it over into the cake category, like glaze, and butter, and cinnamon and sugar. Found at SophistiMom.
- Double Chocolate with Cream Cheese Frosting : The orange juice and zest in the cream cheese frosting is a nice note against the chocolate -I think. You won’t even know the zucchini is in the cake once it’s baked- it just makes a nice, dark, moist cake. Found at The Feast Within.
- Cinnamon : This recipe is a family favorite. My mom and grandma used to make this recipe and it brings back sweet memories of enjoying zucchini cake on the deck together. From Finding Joy In My Kitchen.
- Chocolate Chip : This is my sister Beah’s zucchini cake recipe, and it’s the best. She gave the recipe to me once, years ago, but of course like the moronic little sister that I am, I lost it. She was nice enough to offer me a new copy, though, so I was able to whip this up just in time for her birthday. Recipe from Cast Sugar.
- Whole Wheat : This cake was maybe my favorite of all the experiments. It was really, really good (and by was, I mean that every last piece is gone). Of course I happen to think cream cheese frosting makes everything good! Found at Heavenly Homemakers.
- Chocolate Coconut : I decided to give the chocolate, zucchini, coconut combination a whirl. It was really worth it. I tried to make it as healthy as I could without sacrificing the flavor and texture that I crave!! I definitely believe that the taste of the cake can be determined by the taste of the batter. This cake recipe surpassed the batter taste test!! I dusted it with confectioner’s sugar before serving. Perfection. Found at CookWomanFood.
- Olive Oil With Lemon Crunch Glaze : A perfect summer into fall cake. The tail end of the almost never ending zucchini, the brightness of lemon, along with the depth of toasted walnuts, cinnamon, ginger and clove – and olive oil – the clincher. I’m a big fan of cakes made with olive oil. The concept unleashes my inner italian-ness. Found at Cook Eat Fret.
- Bars/Cake : Now the recipe calls for cooking this in a sheet cake pan. I cooked it in a 9 x 13 dish and cooked 15 minutes longer. I’m sure this recipe would work if you substituted carrots for the zucchini also. Found at Real Mom Kitchen.
- Chocolate : This cake is rich, moist, chocolatey, fudgy, dark and… and… and absolutely delicious. This cake received uber-raves from all who tried it. There’s two full cups of grated zucchini in the recipe and not one person could tell… they all asked me if I was sure about the zucchini. Found at The Repressed Pastry Chef.