Here are dozens of creative ways you can make burp cloths for the sweet new baby you’re wishing to welcome. Most of the designs (if not all) can certainly be given as gifts for new moms. These are so simple to whip up yet so lovely to receive, great stuffer for baskets and homemade shower gifts.
If you like simple & easy, this list has you covered…looking for something a little more fancy? You’ll find that here too. As always, these are handpicked from around the net and I only add the best of the best…they have to be free too! Enjoy the collection!
First, here are a few tips:
- Pre-shrink all fabrics before beginning to sew…hot water & hot dryer. Both flannel and cottons are notorious for shrinking. Iron them well before starting.
- You can save time by using good quality diapers as the base (then embellish with cotton prints, rick rack, etc.).
- Select durable materials (including any trims) that will hold up well to frequent washing & drying.
- Consider using patterns & designs that will hide stains well.
- When gift giving, wrap them up in bundles of three with a wide ribbon tie or give individually, rolled and tied tight with pieces of tulle or lace.
- Embellishment/Edging Ideas: Grosgrain Ribbon, wide RicRac, Fabric Bias, Zig-zag finish, Serged finishing, clipped & frayed edges.
- Ensure all thread tails are clipped close so there’s no chance of anything winding around baby’s little fingers.
- Backing ideas: Minky, Chenille, Terry Cloth (a large white bath towel on sale will do the trick!), Flannel, Pre-Made Diapers.
- If using plain white for the backing, use white bobbin thread regardless of the thread color for printed side so stitches are not noticeable.
Quilted Patchwork: 18 3.5″ squares are pieced together for the front, backed with a 9.5″ x 18.5″ piece of chenille (or choice fabric).
Crochet Edge: Here’s how to directly crochet a sweet edging onto a basic flannel burp cloth using a sharp crochet hook.
With Appliques: A nice way to customize or personalize your project using Heat N Bond Ultrahold and fusible interfacing.
Trendy Frayed Edges: Made with two layers of flannel (optional applique).
Easiest Ever: Made with diapers, cute material and embellished with ribbon or ric rac.
Covered: These are nice ‘n thick.
Stripes: Here’s a project with polar fleece, flannel and strips of cotton material (great stashbuster).
Basket o’ Burpies: Two variations, one has a strip down one side, the other version has the back fully covered with fabric.
With Manners Message: Personalized with cute messages such as “Pardon Me” or “Excuse Me”, tutorial via pdf download which includes the applique stencils.
Double Thick: There are four layers in the center panel, tutorial via pdf.
Three Different Designs: Pattern pieces are free to download for Rectangle, Two-Sided Contoured and One Sided Contoured.
Simply Trimmed: How’s this for easy! Trim premium diapers with a charming, bright ribbon. That’s it!
Generous Size: This design features an angled edge to keep it less bulky in the baby’s bag.