Here’s another appetizer that’s easy to make and a sure hit at parties and holiday gatherings. Serve with assorted crackers and toasted baquettes…Tip: leftovers are delicious the next day as a bagel spread. Most can be prepared a day ahead of the event (and taste better when done so since it gives the flavors time to infuse). Here are several different recipes to try that I’ve handpicked from around the ‘net, I’m sure you’ll find a new favorite or two in the bunch ;). Enjoy!
*All but a few are made with cream cheese but I’m noting it here instead of each time in the ingredient lists below.
- With Cumin, Mint & Pistachios: Goat cheese, lemon zest and juice, grated Pecorino Romano, ground coriander seeds, ground cumin seeds, finely sliced celery hearts, chopped mint, ground black pepper, sea salt and salted pistachios (coarsely ground). From Serious Eats.
- With Cheddar & Mango Chutney: Rolled in toasted pecans, ingredients include shredded cheddar, unsalted butter, milk, mango chutney and toasted pecans. From Martha Stewart.
- With Cheddar & Rolled In Pecans: Yields 2 large balls, ingredients: shredded sharp cheddar, Farmers cheese, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, onion powder, salt, black pepper and chopped toasted pecans. From An Edible Mosaic.
- Coated With Parsley Leaves: Makes one 4 1/2″ ball, ingredients include mayonnaise, grated parmesan, cooked & crumbled bacon, chopped green onions, ground black pepper, Kosher salt, cayenne pepper (optional) and chopped flat-leaf parsley. From The Galley Gourmet.
- Spiced Cherry: (log) Shredded Vermont Sharp White Cheddar, dried cherries (chopped), pumpkin pie spice and finely chopped pecans. From Kraft Foods.
- Ranch Chicken: White meat chicken (canned), ranch salad dressing mix, mayonnaise, finely shredded cheddar and chopped pecans. From Southern Bite.
- Garnished With Whole Almonds (Pine Cone Shaped): Easy to make, items needed include whole natural almonds, real mayonnaise, crumbled cooked bacon, dill weed, salt & pepper, chopped green onion and herb sprigs for garnish (optional). From Paula Deen.
- Pineapple: Finely shredded Cheddar, a can of crushed pineapple (drained), finely chopped green pepper, finely chopped red onion, chopped walnuts (to coat) and sea salt. From Yankee Magazine.
- Black Pepper Log: A goat cheese log is rolled in cracked black pepper then drizzled with olive oil, serve with toasted baguette slices and garnished with sprigs of rosemary. From My Recipes.
- Sweet ‘n Salty: A goat cheese log is rolled in sunflower seeds then drizzled with honey and sprinkled with berries (raspberries, blackberries or blueberries). From My Recipes.
- Appetizer Logs: Shredded sharp cheddar, crumbled blue cheese, curry powder, butter, finely chopped pecans and parsley. From Taste of Home.
- Gouda Logs: Shredded Gouda (or Colby), chopped chives, sliced sun-dried tomatoes (in oil), garlic powder, finely chopped parsley. From Betty Crocker.
- Holiday Tree Shaped: Sheddar, basil pesto, grated onion, yellow mustard, red pepper sauce, finely chopped parsley or cilantro, pine nuts or sliced almonds, chopped red bell pepper, lemon peel and served with assorted crackers. From Betty Crocker.
- A Modern Twist: Two goat cheese logs are made into mini-balls then rolled in coatings of wasabi-coated green peas, granola, ground gingersnaps, finely grated Parmesan and whole fennel seeds. From My Recipes.
- Smoky Flavored: Yields 56 servings (1 TBS each), ingredients include shredded smoked Swiss, Gouda or Cheddar, margarine or butter, milk, steak sauce and finely chopped pecans or walnuts (toasted). From Better Homes & Gardens.
- Sweet Coconut: Yields 28 servings and made with confectioners’ sugar, flaked coconut, finely chopped maraschino cherries, finely chopped pecans. Serve with fruit. From Taste of Home.
- 1″ Minis: Sharp cheddar, garlic powder, ground red pepper (cayenne), chopped roasted red peppers, sliced green onions, chopped pecans. From Kraft Foods.
- Deviled Ham: Sharp cheddar, grated onions, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, dry mustard, paprika, season salt, canned deviled ham, chopped parsley, pimientos and pecans. From Food.com.
- Herbed: (Can be made into a log as well) Chives, basil, parsley, goat cheese, cracked black pepper, minced garlic and served with assorted crackers. From Better Homes & Gardens.
- With Cranberries: Sour cream, shredded cheddar, shredded parmesan, finely chopped onion, garlic powder, cayenne powder, lemon juice, freshly ground black pepper, dried cranberries and chopped, toasted pecans to cover. From Cooking For Seven.
- With Chutney: Chutney, diced green onion, crushed garlic, salt & pepper, shredded Colby, shredded Monterey Jack and rolled in chopped pecans. From Stonewall Kitchen.
- With Pistachios and Cranberries: (log) Serves 8, a fresh goat cheese log is rolled in chopped roasted pistachios and chopped dried cranberries. From Real Simple.