Bacon is delicious and a favorite breakfast treat, but it’s a bit time consuming if you’re making it for a crowd (big family meals). It’s also an item that needs to be babysat if prepared in a frying pan or electric griddle (and the grease splatters, oh my!).
If you haven’t tried making bacon in the oven, give it a shot and see what you think…I say it’s darn near perfect.
Keep it in the oven until it’s as crispy or as chewy as you like…this accommodates all bacon aficionado preferences! This method also prepares big batches quickly, evenly and bonus! it’s a lot less messy too.
Here’s how it’s done…
1 large shallow pan or baking sheet with sides
aluminum foil (parchment paper works well too)
wire rack (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Line pan or sheet with the foil/paper then fit the wire rack inside pan and on top of foil. If you don’t have a wire rack to fit, you can omit.
- Lay the meat in individual strips across the rack, you can fit them tight against each other but try not to have them overlap too much.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until they’re just as crispy as you like it (about 35 minutes for thick slices).
- Remove from heat and lay strips on paper towel lined platter to absorb more grease.
Easy Cleanup: Either pour off fat in a container to use for later and toss aluminum foil or allow the grease to get cold then remove solidified fat by lifting foil/paper out of pan and throwing in the garbage.
Update: Here’s a flavor twist you might be interested in…Maple Pepper! Here’s how:
- Prepare as above, cook for 7 minutes then brush each piece with maple syrup.
- Continue baking but flip them every 5 minutes or so, applying a fresh coat of maple syrup and seasoning with pepper each time.
- Remove from heat once they’re caramelized (about 25 minutes).
- Allow to cool on racks for 5 minutes before serving.
Here’s another Sweet & Peppery version (from MyRecipes.com):
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place rack on top. Mist with non-stick spray.
- Arrange 12 slices bacon on rack then sprinkle between 1 to 1 1/2 TBS pepper and the same amount of dark brown sugar on them.
- Roast in a preheated 400°F oven for about 15 minutes (when meat begins to brown).
- Remove & place strips on a paper towel-lined plate, pour off fat from pan and repeat procedure with another 12 slices.
- Once the meat is cool, wrap in plastic and chill overnight. Reheat in the microwave.
Also: Twisted Spirals: This promises to be delicious, twist the strips before heating (thicker cuts will need wooden skewers to hold the shape).