If you’re looking for a simple dessert to whip up, Dump Cakes are just the ticket. They’re not only easy to make, they can be quite frugal too (most use just a handful of ingredients).
What are they? They’re usually made with a boxed cake mix (or from scratch) and canned or fresh fruit of some kind. They can also include other goodies such as nuts, flaked coconut, flavored Jell-o, etc.
Ingredients are typically just “dumped” into an ovenproof 9″ x 13″ baking dish, mixed together then popped in the oven to bake.
Here’s a nice collection to check out featuring plenty of different flavors, I’ve handpicked each from around the ‘net and though many seem quite similar, each has their own tasty twist to offer. Enjoy!
*I noted the type of boxed cake mix needed in brackets
- Fruit & Nuts: (from scratch) All-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, powdered milk, canned fruit, jam and chopped nuts. From Chickens In The Road.
- Very Berry Blackberry: (yellow or butter) Fresh blackberries, raspberry or blackberry Jell-o, sugar or splenda, water, pecan pieces. From Mommy’s Kitchen.
- Pumpkin Pecan: (yellow) Pumpkin pie, evaporated milk, eggs, butter and pecans. From Back Porch Musings.
- Pumpkin With Toffee: (yellow) Pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, light brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, coarsely crushed graham crackers (or pecans), toffee bits and butter. From Cookies & Cups.
- Pumpkin Spice: (spice) Canned pumpkin, fat free sweetened condensed milk, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, finely chopped pecans, melted butter and topped with whipped topping or ice cream. From Celebrations At Home.
- Strawberry Rhubarb: (yellow) Chopped rhubarb, package of strawberry jello, sugar and butter. From Sweet and Savory Food.
- Rhubarb Strawberry: (yellow) Fresh rhubarb, strawberry pie filling, lemon juice and unsalted butter. From Sweet Lady Sass.
- Strawberry Peach: (butter or vanilla) Serves 6, you’ll need pealed and sliced peaches, hulled and quartered strawberries, sugar, flour, cinnamon. From Yellow Rose Cafe.
- Lemon Blueberry: (lemon) Frozen blueberries, can crushed pineapple and butter. From Finding Joy In My Kitchen.
- Blueberry & Pineapple: (yellow or lemon) Pineapple tidbits (in juice), blueberries, butter or margarine (melted), walnuts or nuts of your choice. From The Southern Lady Cooks.
- Apple Blueberry: (yellow) Sliced apples, fresh or frozen blueberries and butter. From Finding Joy In My Kitchen.
- Apple: (yellow) Made with fresh apple slices and a stick of butter. From A. Liz Adventures.
- Caramel Apple: (caramel) Apple pie filling, lemon juice, margarine, pecans or nuts of your choice. From Duncan Hines.
- Autumn Flavors: (spice) sliced apples, butter or margarine and chopped pecans. From Just A Pinch.
- Cherry: (yellow) Cherry pie filling, canned crushed pineapple and butter or margarine. From Jenn Cooks.
- Pineapple & Cherry: (vanilla) Crushed pineapple, cherry pie filling, butter or margarine. From Cookin’ With Honey Bunny.
- Chocolate Cherry: (chocolate) A couple cans of cherry pie filling and a half stick of unsalted butter (cubed). From Chocolate Covered Buttons.
- Chocolate Chip: (chocolate) Package of chocolate pudding, milk and a large handful of chocolate chips. From Eat, Live, Run.
- Easy Chocolate: (from scratch) All-purpose flour, whole milk, both dark brown and granulated sugar, unsweetened cocoa, butter, large eggs, vanilla extract, baking powder, baking soda, salt and a Fudgy Cream-Cheese Frosting. From Country Living.
- Raspberry: (chocolate) Raspberry pie filling, chocolate chips, butter or margarine. From Betty Crocker.
- Raspberry: (vanilla), frozen raspberries, sugar and a stick of butter. From The Hem Of His Garment.
- Peach Cobbler: (yellow) can sliced peaches, butter and chopped nuts (optional). From Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures.
- Peach Plum: (yellow) Chopped fresh peaches and plums, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter. From TaylorMade.
- Fruit Cocktail: (from scratch) Canned fruit cocktail, self rising cocktail, unbeaten eggs, vanilla, sugar. Sauce ingredients: margarine, coconut, sugar, evaporated milk and chopped pecans. From Southern Plate.
- Butter Pecan: (butter pecan) Can of sliced peaches, flaked coconuts and pecans. From Gulf Coast Gram.
- Weight Watchers Style: (angel food) A can of tart cherries and crushed pineapple (in juice). From The Queen Of Tarts.