Eucalyptus essential oil is an impressive ingredient in household cleaners as it has natural anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties. It also performs well as an effective deodorizer and a good degreaser to tackle those stubborn, sticky messes.
This is one of mother nature’s most powerful disinfectants, what better option to tackle those messy household chores with!
Here are a few different recipes for homemade cleaners I have on file that incorporate Eucalyptus oil and can be used to freshen your home.
- Add 1 tablespoon of liquid castile soap to 1 gallon of hot water and 1/3 cup Borax. Mix in 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp of EO.
All Purpose Mix:
- Combine 1/2 cup vinegar with 1 cup hot water, add 1/8 tsp liquid dish detergent (nothing with bleach), 6 drops EO. Pour into a spray bottle and shake before each use.
Soft Scrub Recipe:
- Combine baking soda and liquid castile soap until you have a smooth paste (some water can be added), stir in a few drops of the EO. Take a damp sponge, dab into the paste and use to scrub over stained areas. Wipe off with a damp, clean cloth.
- Fill a small spray bottle with lukewarm water and add 3 drops EO (ratio is about 1 drop oil to 4 ounces water). Shake. Apply to freshly washed surfaces as a fragrant rinse. Store away from sunlight.
Freshen Carpet & Upholstery:
2 C. Distilled Water
20 drops EO
- Mix and pour into a spray bottle. Shake before each use. Can be used as an air freshener, a carpet or upholstery spritz. Test a small area first for fabric discoloration.
Garbage Pail Deodorizer:
- Mix 4 teaspoons EO with 4 cups of baking soda. Store in an airtight plastic container. After cleaning garbage can, sprinkle a handful of baking soda mixture on the bottom (once dry).
Tub Scrub Recipe:
1 C. Baking Soda
15 drops EO
- Mix the baking soda and oil well then scrub onto bathroom tub and sink with a damp sponge. Leave sit for a bit before rinsing off with clear warm water.
Shower Soap Scum Remover:
- Using the EO neat, pour directly onto a damp cloth then rub with some pressure into the area with soap scum buildup. Once you’re happy with the results, rinse off with hot water and wipe dry.
1/2 cup Distilled Water
1/2 cup Vodka
10 drops EO
- Combine ingredients and pour into a spray bottle. Shake before use.
Mattress & Pillows Spritz:
*Especially beneficial during cough & cold season, can help with cough/cold/sinus/congestion issues.
12 oz water
1/4 tsp EO
- Pour ingredients into a spray bottle and shake well each time you use it. Apply to mattress & pillows every time you change the bedding, leave to air dry for several hours uncovered. This will help remove germs & combat dust mites.
Laundry Machine Rinse:
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 tsp EO
- Shake ingredients together in a jar then turn on the washing machine (empty, no laundry) and toss contents into the machine as the water is running. Let the machine run a full “load”. This should remove any residue or soap buildup in the drum.
Stinky Shoes Fix:
- Apply some EO to a couple cotton balls and place one in each shoe. Leave overnight, will help remove smells and deodorize.