Here’s an assortment of ideas for making toothpaste plus a couple tips for DIY teeth whiteners (those are found at the bottom of the page).
If you’re looking for ways to save money or use more natural ingredients than most commercial products offer, there’s surely something here that will suit your needs. I’ve moved the mouthwash recipes to this page (just a couple so far).
A Few Quick Tips:
- Cut open an empty (used) tube, clean out the inside then scoop mixture into it. Fold over the cut end then secure with a squeezer or packaging clamp.
- To keep things easy, can also store in small glass jars with a tight fitting lid (such as a baby food jar), just make sure it’s sterilized first. To use: Simply dip the brush into the mix and use as a regular paste.
- When adding essential oils (EO) for flavor or extra cleaning power, make sure to use those that are “food grade”.
- Flavor ideas: Vanilla, Cinnamon; Mint; Orange; Lemon.
First up, here’s a quick & easy paste to try:
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp hydrogen peroxide
Directions: Mix together before using.
I’ve listed a dozen different ideas below that I’ve handpicked from around the ‘net with each having something different to offer. I’ll be adding more to this page as I come across something new, enjoy!
Simple (Video): 1/4 cup vegetable glycerin, 1/4 cup bicarb, 10 to 15 drops peppermint EO (food grade).
Powder: This will be crumbly but you can add vegetable glycerin to make it more gel-like.
Basic: Includes Neem, cinnamon EO.
With Stevia: Also has coconut oil, hydrogen peroxide and peppermint extract.
Aloe Vera: Vanilla extract, aloe vera, water and hydrogen peroxide.
1 tsp baking soda
1 TBS fresh, mashed strawberries
- Mix then use to brush
- Sprinkle baking soda on a lemon wedge then gently rub upper and lower teeth for 1 minute upper and 1 minute lower. Then brush as usual. Don’t do this more than once per week.
- Activated Charcoal: This tip from Wellness Mama advocates using activated charcoal (can get it in powdered or capsule form) to get teeth gleaming white.