Hot summer days require cold refreshing drinks. Growing up I was happy with a “slush/slurpee” or a cold glass of soda. Nowadays? It’s just gotta be something with coffee ;).
These slushy iced drinks can cost a pretty penny in the restaurants and I’d say they’re worth it…but…if you develop a “fondness” for them (ie. addiction), this will cost you big time.
What’s a girl to do? Well let’s just figure out how to make our own!
Here are a couple easy recipes you can try for a homemade version. Keep in mind that they aren’t hard and fast measurements, tweak until you get just-the-right blend for your taste buds. I like mine strong, you might prefer a more mellow taste.
For milk you can use skim, low-fat, half-and-half, condensed or whole. The brand you like for drinking hot coffee may not be the same brand you want to sip cold. Do you prefer crushed or cubes of ice? There are so many options…experiment and have fun with this!
Next you’ll find a selection of different recipes for copycat Tim Horton’s “Iced Capps” (if you’re Canadian, you know the delight that awaits you…). There are a few other beverages included and I’ve handpicked these from around the net. Some are a bit more fancy with more ingredients involved, but the effort will be well rewarded ;). Enjoy!
1 C. cold coffee (very strong brew)
1 C. milk
1 C. ice cubes
sugar to taste
- Mix ingredients in a blender until nicely chopped and slushy (or fill glass with cubes instead).
- Pour into glasses and add the toppings if you like (a dollop of whipped cream dusted with cinnamon or cocoa).
Yield: 4 servings
1/2 C. very strong coffee or espresso (brewed & chilled)
1/2 C. milk
1/3 C. chocolate syrup
1 TBS sugar
1 cup vanilla ice cream
- Mix all the ingredients from Part 1 in a blender.
- Add the ice cream and mix again until everything is well combined and smooth.
- Pour into tall glasses and enjoy!
Tip: You can use frozen yogurt instead and adjust the chocolate syrup as you wish. I like it with a little more ;).
If the above two recipes just aren’t going to cut it for you, have no fear! There’s a nice selection in the group below, I’m sure you’ll find a new favorite or two…at the very least, they’ll give some inspiration for tweaking your own. Enjoy!
- KraftCanada: What’s the trick to this Cappuccino? Freeze fresh-brewed coffee in ice cube trays and then whip them up with cold milk for a frosty, full-flavoured beverage.
- Port & Fin: These things are so good and so addicting, if you haven’t had one you’re basically missing out on one of the most amazing things to ever come out of Canada.
- The Deliberate Mom: This addiction can be a little expensive, so I did some research (and experimentation), which led to the perfect recipe for homemade iced capps!
- Hershey’s: Vanilla ice cream, whipped topping, chocolate syrup…oh my!
- Spoon University: A healthier version (uses skim milk, maple syrup, caramel extract).
- Eagle Brand: This is for a Thai version (basically just adds condensed milk).
- Healthful Pursuit: This is another healthier version, uses cocoa powder and non-dairy milk.
- Hummingbird High: (quote) I infuse the concentrate with cinnamon and chicory overnight (the vanilla works especially well with those spices), and in the morning, I’m greeted with the New Orleans iced coffee of my dreams.
- Lick My Spoon: Oh my! Strong with buttery, rich sweetened condensed milk and a shot of Kahlaua. Your new summer bestie.
- DamnDelicious: This one uses half & half.