Oily skin can be caused by any number of things: a poor diet, changes in hormone levels, even summer’s hot and humid weather can bring on an oil patch or two. Here are several ways to combat that using simple items found in the pantry.
Quick Notes: Avoid any items that you have a food allergy to and use fresh ingredients only. Also take care to avoid delicate eye areas.
To Start: Wash off makeup and clean face before using one of the remedies below.
- Buttermilk: Coat skin by dabbing liberally with buttermilk. Leave on for 15 mins then rinse off. Do daily or as needed.
- Bran & Yeast Scrub: Mix 1 tsp bran (fine) with 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 TBS water and 1/4 tsp dried yeast. Massage is mixture, allow to set for 2 mins then remove.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar with 3 parts water, apply and leave for about 5 minutes before washing clean. Facial Recipe: Soak a thin cloth in a mixture of 1 TBS apple cider vinegar per 1/2 cup of warm water. Apply then layer a hot, wet cloth over top. Rest for 10 minutes then remove and splash face (first with warm water then finish with cool).
- Egg White Tonic: Whisk an egg white for one minute (or until it thickens) then add 1 tsp of honey, whisk some more then add 1 tsp of lemon juice. Cover face and neck, remove after 10 mins.
- Grapefruit & Oatmeal Scrub: Make a paste from freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (lemon or orange will work too) and uncooked oatmeal. Apply then allow to dry before removing.
- Spritzer: 50/50 mix of lemon juice and water, allow to dry then rinse clear.
- Honey & Almond Meal: Make a paste of almond meal (or almond flour) and honey, scrub in and leave on for a few minutes.
- Cucumbers: Grate cucumbers into a bowl lined with cheesecloth. Take up the cheesecloth and squeeze out as much cucumber liquid as you can. Add a splash of fresh lemon juice to the cucumber liquid, cover face and neck. Allow to set for about an hour then wash away.
- Potatoes: Slice a raw potato then rub slices all over, allow liquid to dry then wash.
- Tomatoes: Puree a tomato in the blender then add juice from two wedges of lemon (you can also use tomato juice). Apply, leave for about 10 mins then rinse clear.
The oily skin tips seem to me to be awfully complicated….who has the time for all this stuff??
I’m a retired makeup artist and the best way to treat oily skin is as if it was sensitive skin!! my dermatologist told me that…that means, NO HOT WATER NO ALCOHOL, NO SCRUBBING YOUR FACE.
……always wash your hands before you wash your face.
………..wash your face with your hands, not a washcloth
……exfoliate with plain old BAKING SODA….forget all the stuff in the article; keep it all simple!!!!!
…….spritze some witch hazel on your inner hands and gently stroke onto your dry, clean skin……and yes, you do need to moisturize, with an OIL FREE one!!
……….you will save time and money with simple tips like this…….!!
grated cucumbers, indeed!!!!!
Well La Ti Da Ben. I don’t think these are overly complicated or time consuming recipes. I, for one, am interested in trying a few of them. Thank you for this information!
daisy i agree with you 100% ben does not know what he/she is talking about i use these all the time on clients and it works
will tomato paste with added lemon juice work?